An entire linen suit at H&M for $100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An entire linen suit at H&M for $100

The jackets are here: (I think it may have beebn mentioned in these threads before)

http://www.hm.com/us/product/98049?article=98049-A

The matching pants are further down the page. Bottom line: I wonder if this sucks. We only recently got an H&M here, but my wife (who lived in NYC for a cuople years) loved the place when she lived there. However, she does admit that their stuff isn't particularly well made. So I'm on the fence...

Thoughts?

My friend bought the jacket for me, I'll probably receive it next week. I could give you a review (keeping in mind I'm no suit expert) if you're patient.

Comment

It would appear that in addition to matching pants, they also make matching shorts. Who here's brave enough to make that attempt? :-P

Comment

Do you know if it's something they carry in stores? Or is it just online?

The optimistic part of my brain is saying, "That's a deal!" The pessimistic part of my brain is saying, "People don't sell natural fiber suits for $100. There must be something wrong with it." The rational part is saying, "It's a casual suit, anyways. you don't want to spend too much money on one so $100 might be a winner."

Of course... All of this is pending the quality of the suit. I'm not expecting luxury detailing. I would settle for something that fits and won't fall apart.

Comment

I was actually at JCP and saw their Stafford "Linen Look" suits were on sale for $100 for the month of march. They're definitely bottom of the barrel and feel cheap. This H&M alternative looks much nicer...but maybe it's just good marketing.

Comment

I don't have anything to say about that particular suit but I've never purchased anything there because the quality of their stuff doesn't look that great to me. I would guess that the suit is probably cheap for a reason.

Comment

Well "linen look" pretty much says in the name that it's at least partially (if not completely) synthetic. I wouldn't even consider such a thing. Such seems to be the case with a lot of JCP suits, though. A 100% linen suit should automatically be nicer, with or without marketing. And quality-wise, the H&M suit can't be any worse than Stafford.

Comment

IIRC, Focuspants tried some H&M blazers, see this thread : http://threads.dappered.com/topic/th...-summer/page/3

Comment

Thanks, Jessy. I knew it had been brought up in another thread, but I didn't remember where. I already have a lighter linen jacket that will suffice with jeans, but a full stand-alone linen suit is a whole other matter, entirely. It's so tempting...

Comment

I've had good luck with H&M stuff and blazers/suits in particular. At $100 I would say this would be worth it if it fits you well off the rack and doesn't require expensive tailoring - which with how H&M runs pretty slim, is a good chance.

Comment

If you have a store nearby, you could at least take a look at the fit and fabric. From the measurements my friend gave me, sleeves are long, jacket is short.

Comment

Keep in mind you can't order anything online from H&M in the states, so to those who are asking if its available in store - its pretty much ONLY available in store unless you're in Europe. I know online sales are supposed to be launching soon for the US.

Comment

Interesting, Vespa. I didn't know that since I've never attempted to try. I may just have to go down there and check it out...

Comment

I think you should. This is why I had to ask a friend in Montreal to buy it for me.

I would like to know your impressions, since you know probably more about suits than me.

Comment

Looking again, you're definitely right about the jacket being short. I won't know how that affects my decision until I try it, but I've never had a jacket that short before. I've got some junk in the trunk so it may drape funny. We'll just have to see.

As for knowing more about suits, I guess I know what I know, but I don't know if that's any more or less than the next guy. But I'll certainly give my impressions.

Comment

Working...
                              X