Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone here Topy their shoes?

http://www.jasonwong.net/2010/04/16/sole-protection-to-toe-tap-or-topy/

I can't add toe taps to most of my shoes since it can prevent AE from accepting my shoes for recrafting down the line, but does anyone here topy their shoes? Just curious. I've heard good things and bad things about them and know that the more expensive shoe makers such as Edward greene advises against them since they prevent the leather from breathing properly.

Toe taps prevent recrafting in the future? Is that right? What about heel taps?

My shoes -absolutely- have to have the heel protectors at the very least since I wear them down in a matter of months.

Comment

I don't get topying (is that correct?). If you want a rubber soled shoe, buy a rubber soled shoe. You pay extra for a shoe with a leather sole, so hiding it seems silly. It is unfortunate that AE doesn't allow taps, I'm sure they have their reasons.

For the record I don't bother having taps fitted to rubber soles, I find re-soleing is cheap enough that I don't have to bother.

Comment

Interesting, I have been reading that adding taps are ok for recrafting. Its just that resoling by a 3rd party is not allowed.

I have been considering adding taps to my shoes too as my heel and toe seems to wear down alot faster than the rest of the shoe.

Comment

I topy all of my work shoes because living in the Northeast, it can be downright treacherous to not have them in inclement weather. Maybe some guys are nimbler on their feet than me, but it only took a few tumbles before I knew what I had to do.

I buy leather sole shoes for the higher quality uppers, styling and recraftability, so it's unfortunate that I can't generally find that with rubber soles.

Comment

@Chareth - ah, so for you it's more about traction than saving money on sole replacement. That sounds like a good reason

Comment

It is mostly about traction, but it's a nice benefit that the sole lasts longer and I don't have to put a front tap on.

I'm sure other people's wear patterns are different, but I usually go through soles like mad but the upper stays in reasonably good shape. So it makes sense for me to topy to get the most out of my uppers, given that you can only recraft a shoe a limited number of times.

Comment

Working...
              X