Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it worth it to spend a lot of money on a wallet?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DocDave
    replied
    Five year old thread back from the dead? New topic can be started if needed.

Leave a comment:

• AngelaDavies
    replied
    Don't see anything worth in spending money on a really good wallet)

Leave a comment:

• Dun
    replied
    Originally posted by jigarnaut View Post
    that's pretty cool. handmade by you?
    Yup. Some quality leather, a razor blade, and neatsfoot oil. A little edge burnishing with water and the wooden handle of a any tool and some experimentation with a wire for a money clip. The golden brown it is developing is just from pockets and hand oils while being used.

Leave a comment:

• jigarnaut
    replied
    Originally posted by Dun View Post

Bought some 3-4 oz full grain leather from tandy. This is a little over a year of patina.
    that's pretty cool. handmade by you?

Leave a comment:

• Dun
    replied

Bought some 3-4 oz full grain leather from tandy. This is a little over a year of patina.

Leave a comment:

• theplayerking
    replied
    I think one should have a decent leather wallet if you're wearing a suit. Pulling a nylon wallet out of a suit jacket can look like you're wearing someone else's clothes.

On the other hand, I don't like heavily branded wallets. LV wallets are tacky.

Leave a comment:

• PREID
    replied
    I have the exact same brown lerather card holder from JCF. Nearly 3 years of use and it looks great. Construction has been very solid given I paid sub $15 for it. And it's picked up a rather nice patina

Leave a comment:

• jigarnaut
    replied
    Originally posted by ajs116 View Post
    I use a standard brown leather card holder from J Crew Factory: Here

I've had it for 2 to 3 years and it's holding up great. I thought about splurging on a card case from Saddleback (slim wallets are a requirement for me), but they all have plastic ID windows which looks cheap & childish IMO
    Yeah, I agree with the window looks bad. Makes me think of underage teens trying to fool the bouncer at a bar with a fake ID.

I use a Kamakura card holder, which they don't sell online apparently. But it's done a good job, but I don't know anything about it's quality

Leave a comment:

• ajs116
    replied
    I use a standard brown leather card holder from J Crew Factory: Here

I've had it for 2 to 3 years and it's holding up great. I thought about splurging on a card case from Saddleback (slim wallets are a requirement for me), but they all have plastic ID windows which looks cheap & childish IMO

Leave a comment:

• DocDave
    replied
    No idea how much my wallet is/was, since the wallet was a Christmas present. Mind you the money clip and accompanying card holder came from Coach, so my guess is the combo was not that cheap.

I will say though that I like the money clip (which Joe has featured here) a lot. Whatever the price, I feel it was definitely worth it.

Leave a comment:

• ianr
    replied
    Originally posted by Brent k View Post
    This reminds me of American Psycho
    "Oh my God. It even has a watermark."

Leave a comment:

• xucardsfan08
    replied
    I've had the same leather Fossil wallet since I was 16 (29 now). It is in great condition for being close to 14 years old, surviving many a trip to the washing machine, cold weather, general abuse. In the summer months when I don't want to use a wallet, I'll use a $0.10 binder clip.

Leave a comment:

• Brent k
    replied
    Originally posted by ianmichaelray View Post
    Another consideration is a business card holder. Typically, the person you want to make the good impression on when digging your wallet out is going to be taking your business card, not your cash. Pulling out a stylish business card holder trumps a wallet right off the bat and is usually less expensive.
    This reminds me of American Psycho

Leave a comment:

• mjn082
    replied
    I don't carry a wallet just because I don't like the feel or look in my pocket. I get by w/ a Tiffany money clip for cash, a Burberry slim card case w/ ID, credit card, & train pass, & a Coach coin case inside whatever man bag I'm carrying that day. All three were gifts. Would I spend the money on them individually, probably not w/ the exception of the card case. But as gifts I love all 3.

Leave a comment:

• andrewlcraft
    replied
    I love my Gustin simple wallet in oxblood. It's gaining some nice patina, and it doesn't hurt my back on road trips. Debit card, license, and a twenty folded in the middle.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X