Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it worth it to spend a lot of money on a wallet?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ianmichaelray View Post
    If it is all about durability, you could get a hemp wallet. Those are not stylish, but they last forever. They are also around $20.
    Actually I think I need to walk the line between durable and stylish. I like how my wallet looks and don't want to sacrifice too much on that front.

Comment

[MENTION=14386]Danny[/MENTION] haha thanks, I thought so too. I failed to consider how close 'danger' and 'dapper' are to each other, though.

Comment

I tend to splurge on wallets, but I've also had them last a long time. I go for nice leather/craftsmanship over name brand. I've had my current il Bussetto small wallet for over 5 years and it's held up beautifully with daily (and sometimes hard) wear. Can't recall the price, but pretty sure it was under $100. Sadly it's no longer made. I have a Mitchell leather money clip wallet as a backup for when the current finally gives out. I splurged on a horween chromexel (love natural chromexel in all things), also under $100. I figure I'm averaging under $20 per year for nice looking wallets that serve their purpose, which seems like a reasonable price to me.

Comment

I've had the same wallet for a few years now, a Bellroy Slim that my brother gave me. $80. I don't anticipate needing a new wallet anytime soon. Then again I was happy with the $12 leather card case I was using as a wallet before that. My dad used the same USMC-issued camouflage Rainbow nylon velcro wallet for 20 years before buying a new one a couple years ago for $9.

When it comes to wallets, I think finding one that suits your particular tastes and needs is more relevant than finding a "high quality" one. Other than being sat on, most wallets aren't subject to a lot of wear and tear, so most of them should last you a reasonably long time.
          Ben

Comment

Stopping back by to add a note on business cards. While I keep a few cards in my wallet for emergency use, I opt for having a separate business card holder for when I'm at events I am likely to need them (otherwise the holder stays in my briefcase with extras for a restock). Previously I used a very simple leather fold from work that did the job, and recently got a Muji stainless steel (thin) cardholder... for $5. Looks great and is very functional.

https://www.muji.eu/pages/online.asp...ub=64&PID=4987

Comment

I don't feel like replacing my wallet frequently, so it's gotta look new forever or it ages well. So at least it's gotta be a leather one?

Comment

I would have said no a few months ago, but I jumped on the Chester Mox Massdrop and got a Horween Horse Front #53 bifold for around $85. I love it, it smells nice, it's well-made, and it feels like it's going to last a long time. Most of all, every time I pull it out, I feel a little bit of satisfaction and happiness.

Comment

I have a leather Gucci wallet that I purchased as a souvenir when I visited SoCal and it's held up quite well for the almost 5 years I've owned it.

Comment

I love my Gustin simple wallet in oxblood. It's gaining some nice patina, and it doesn't hurt my back on road trips. Debit card, license, and a twenty folded in the middle.

Comment

I don't carry a wallet just because I don't like the feel or look in my pocket. I get by w/ a Tiffany money clip for cash, a Burberry slim card case w/ ID, credit card, & train pass, & a Coach coin case inside whatever man bag I'm carrying that day. All three were gifts. Would I spend the money on them individually, probably not w/ the exception of the card case. But as gifts I love all 3.

Comment

Originally posted by ianmichaelray View Post
                        Another consideration is a business card holder. Typically, the person you want to make the good impression on when digging your wallet out is going to be taking your business card, not your cash. Pulling out a stylish business card holder trumps a wallet right off the bat and is usually less expensive.
                        This reminds me of American Psycho

Comment

I've had the same leather Fossil wallet since I was 16 (29 now). It is in great condition for being close to 14 years old, surviving many a trip to the washing machine, cold weather, general abuse. In the summer months when I don't want to use a wallet, I'll use a $0.10 binder clip.

Comment

Originally posted by Brent k View Post
                            This reminds me of American Psycho
                            "Oh my God. It even has a watermark."

Comment

No idea how much my wallet is/was, since the wallet was a Christmas present. Mind you the money clip and accompanying card holder came from Coach, so my guess is the combo was not that cheap.

I will say though that I like the money clip (which Joe has featured here) a lot. Whatever the price, I feel it was definitely worth it.

Comment

I use a standard brown leather card holder from J Crew Factory: Here

I've had it for 2 to 3 years and it's holding up great. I thought about splurging on a card case from Saddleback (slim wallets are a requirement for me), but they all have plastic ID windows which looks cheap & childish IMO

Comment

Working...
                                X