Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it worth it to spend a lot of money on a wallet?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it worth it to spend a lot of money on a wallet?

I'm curious what the community thinks about buying expensive wallets. Are there certain brands where it is worth it to spend a lot? or do you guys just use a wallet as a tool so price and brand do not matter.

I've never actually spent a dime on a wallet. They're one of this things, like flasks or pens, that just accrues naturally over time.

That said, there's something to be said for spending at least a little money on a wallet. I don't think 150+ dollar hand-crafted shell cordovan affairs are entirely necessary, but I definitely like the look and feel of a something between 50 and 75 dollars over the dime-a-dozen target billfold.

Comment

$60-80 should get you a top of the line hand made leather wallet. Maybe a bit more.

The designer wallets like LV gucci prada etc. You're buying the name and cheap materials. Especially the LV canvas wallets!

Comment

To me it's a tool, so I just go to the leather outlet and find something that looks and feels nice for no more than $30.

Comment

I agree with [MENTION=11987]Aaron P.[/MENTION] A wallet is a common gift.

However, if you don't want to wait till someone buys you one (or if you don't trust other's taste), I don't think you need to spend much to get something solid that will hold up. I wouldn't pay more than $40, with a target price of about $30 (as [MENTION=14375]dangerpenguin[/MENTION] suggested).

Ps [MENTION=14375]dangerpenguin[/MENTION] -- everytime I type your username it elicits a hearty internal chuckle. There's just something great about the name. It's the perfect storm of random goofiness.

Comment

I always felt like there is some kind of grand irony of the world we live in, whenever I buy a new wallet.

buying something with money to put other money in. or something like that. i don't know why, but it always makes me chuckle, and somehow buy a new really poor quality wallet every couple years.

Comment

I figure it can be worth spending a little bit of money on a wallet that will not fall apart or on one that matches a certain pair of shoes. It is not really worth super quality, though, especially in the world of tap-to-pay.

Comment

I cannot justify spending money on a wallet. The best one I've ever had was one on sale at Kmart that was a front pocket wallet with room for everything including an ID window. It was 9 bucks and just perfect. When it wore out I looked high and low and found a few more so I stockpiled.

I could see getting a nice wallet as a gift but for me it's a simple tool that I want to easily access everything and don't need people noticing.

Comment

I feel like this is a one time purchase that should last quite some time ( hopefully atleast 5-10 years assuming its just going into your pocket). Why not splurge (50-200) on it once and get it over with. On the other hand, i'm not saying you should be spending upwards of $500+ as I think its quite hard to justify those numbers for a wallet.

Comment

Just like anything else, it depends on how much you value having a neat wallet.

I've become interested in some of the work that smaller, US/Canada based outfits are doing (Craft and Lore, Popov, Tanner Goods, etc) and think it's worth spending a little more to get something made in North America out of high quality materials. If you don't really care, then there are plenty of decent options for less money that will just as effectively hold cash and cards.

Comment

I don't like to spend more than $20 on a wallet. As long as it looks sleek and clean, leather doesn't look like plastic, doesn't have velcro or "LV" all over it, I'm happy.
                      I've had this $10 slim from amazon for 2 years now and pretty happy with it.

I also don't take out clients or do anything like that. I could see where that kind of gig warrants something nicer, just like signing papers with a Mont Blanc.

Comment

Another consideration is a business card holder. Typically, the person you want to make the good impression on when digging your wallet out is going to be taking your business card, not your cash. Pulling out a stylish business card holder trumps a wallet right off the bat and is usually less expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by ianmichaelray View Post
                          Typically, the person you want to make the good impression on when digging your wallet out is going to be taking your business card, not your cash.
                          haha. "So about that 10 million dollar project, would a Mr. Lincoln convince you to go with us?"

Comment

Originally posted by ianmichaelray View Post
                            Another consideration is a business card holder. Typically, the person you want to make the good impression on when digging your wallet out is going to be taking your business card, not your cash. Pulling out a stylish business card holder trumps a wallet right off the bat and is usually less expensive.
                            Hmm that's a really good point. I never really thought of it like that. I dont usually keep much in mine so I end up making use of a small card wallet for every day use. but with constant use mine has been getting worn down fairly quickly and its a little over a year old, so im thinking of getting something of higher quality next time.

Comment

Originally posted by jigarnaut View Post
                              Hmm that's a really good point. I never really thought of it like that. I dont usually keep much in mine so I end up making use of a small card wallet for every day use. but with constant use mine has been getting worn down fairly quickly and its a little over a year old, so im thinking of getting something of higher quality next time.
                              If it is all about durability, you could get a hemp wallet. Those are not stylish, but they last forever. They are also around $20.

Comment

Working...
                              X