Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here is my first how does this fit post.. Was never a suit or a jacket guy, but just purchased the Banana Republic Tailored-Fit Chino Suit Jack in Light khaki last week and wanted to see how this fits.

The size is 38S. The pictures were taken with the flash as it was a little dark for pictures without it. Pleaseignore the pants and the shirt as I just put on something that were lying around. Also the jacket is not ironed as I just received it today and is a little wrinkled from the packaging.

Also any suggestions on what colors of pants and shirts would go well with this suit jacket?

Comment

Olaf, I think it depends on how you like your blazer. I like mine shorter (as I am 5'5"). The longer blazers look too big on me. Personally once the sleeves get taken up, I think it would look great.

Comment

that looks ok to me olaf, especially if you're a shorter male... we need to see how the blazer fits in proportion to your entire body

Comment

Newbie getting confused from people's response to Olaf.

Because people can have longer arms, shouldn't the cover the butt (all or 3/4 of the butt) test trump the cup the hem of the jacket test? Also, is it a rule that the jacket shouldn't cover or go past the crotch? My first impression that it was a good length (jacket hem, not the sleeves).

Comment

@Olaf, looks to short in the body and the back could use some cleaning up. but not much. From those pics the shoulders look good.

@Mowgli (great name, btw), first, only button the top button. Second, that blazer looks too short. I'd try a 38R.
            "You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Comment

Thanks.. for some reason I am not able to see my original post. But it looks like I will have to return the jacket as the 38R is out of stock..

Any comments about the shoulder, sleeve and how the jacket fits?

Originally posted by greg_s View Post

@Mowgli (great name, btw), first, only button the top button. Second, that blazer looks too short. I'd try a 38R.
              Last edited by mowgli222; July 31, 2013, 04:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacobra93 View Post
                Eli Dion, thanks for your adivice! It might partly be the camera angle... it was a little lower than I was. I can't really tell in person because I don't know where the buttons are supposed to be. I didn't even notice that they might be too high.
                How much would the sleeves and waist cost to tailor? And will the tailor know what to do or do I need to tell him exactly where to end the sleeves and how much to bring in the waist?

Cuddytime... thanks for thinking I was six foot! That's probably the only time that'll happen in my life, haha. Sadly, I'm actually 5'7". But I wish I was six feet tall.
                Maybe the blazer is just a bit weird because it's very hard to find things that are too small for me. Usually everything is too big.
                Thanks for the input!
                Jacob,

Depending on where you live and what kind of tailor you go to, waist suppression of the jacket and shortening of the jacket sleeves will run you between $80-$125.

As for the position of the top button, generally speaking, it should be placed at around the navel and never lower. You want it to be at a point where it elongates both your upper body AND your legs.
                Check out my style and fitness website at: http://www.wellbuiltstyle.com

Stay Fit. Look Sharp.

Comment

@Olaf Jacket looks pretty well fit, your shirt sleeves should be right at the end of the cuffs of that jacket, so I'd take the sleeves 1/4-1/2 inch up.
                  completely off topic those pants fit terrible.

Comment

Thoughts on jacket? Big into lifting weights and have the hardest time with clothes fitting. Don't get me started on pants with my hips/thighs

Comment

Sleeves too long and too wide, shoulders look to be a bit big on you. There's absolutely no shape to that jacket whatsoever and you need to have it taken in at the waist if you want to keep it. It just looks really big overall. On top of that, the narrow lapels IMO look really awful on that jacket.

Comment

Originally posted by LosRockets View Post
                        Sleeves too long and too wide, shoulders look to be a bit big on you. There's absolutely no shape to that jacket whatsoever and you need to have it taken in at the waist if you want to keep it. It just looks really big overall. On top of that, the narrow lapels IMO look really awful on that jacket.
                        Jeez, that bad huh. Appreciate the words. I knew the sleeves had to be shortened and torso brought in a bit but now I'm really lost though. Pictured is 44R and I had a 42R before. It was way too small in the shoulders ( I could rip it hugging myself if I tried ). Also, the sleeves do look very wide but if I bend my arm they get quite tight. Im new to suits, is this normal? (could have ripped a 42R). Disregard last pictures, I took them from a bad angle from way below. Does it look better now, or do the comments from before stay true and I should abandon this suit?

Edit: lapels are very narrow, agreed. Its a JC ludlow suit. Scored for $54 nwt so its not a biggy if its not perfect

Last edited by Peteypistol; August 1, 2013, 12:18 AM.

Comment

Petey, wish I could see what the 42R looked like on you because the 44R looks a bit large. You will need some work done on the jacket in order to make it look good. Sleeves need to be shortened and slimmed and the body could be taken in a little as well.
                          Check out my men's style and fitness website: www.wellbuiltstyle.com

Stay Fit. Look Sharp.

Comment

Originally posted by shad0w4life View Post
                            @Olaf Jacket looks pretty well fit, your shirt sleeves should be right at the end of the cuffs of that jacket, so I'd take the sleeves 1/4-1/2 inch up.
                            completely off topic those pants fit terrible.
                            Thanks. Pants is a real issue for me. I'm into powerlifting so my thighs are quite large and I usually have to size up to get a good fit around my quads.

So are they too tight? They are the Uniqlo Vintage Chnos, the slims were really tight in the quads. Had to size up to 36" in Epaulet Walts, but I can wear Levis 505 at 33/34. -.-

Comment

Hey guys, please give me your opinions on this one, especially the shoulder fit.
                              - This is a 42S. No more 40S available.
                              - The point of the jacket shoulder sits about an inch longer than the end of my shoulder. Can you tell? Do you need to see the whole body to really tell if the shoulders are balanced?

What I plan to ask tailor already:
                              1. Take in the extra fabric in upper back. Cause of the ripple near the collar.
                              2. Take in waist. There's an extra 3-4 inches. I tried to show how it would look by overlapping the jacket like a double breast.
                              3. Shorten sleeves.

Thanks! And my wife thanks you too as she's tired of seeing me putting it on over and over again.

Comment

Looking for some friendly advice on these dockers alphas. I recently lost a bunch of weight so this whole slim-fit thing is pretty new to me. I have been getting mixed reviews from friends and family on whether to keep these or not. What do you all think of the fit? Thanks in advance!

https://mail-attachment.googleuserco...MG1YDf0DEuMlbg

Comment

Working...
                                X