Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The shoulders almost look too wide. It's either that or the padding is really strong. The waist could come in a bit more, but that's up to preference. The pants are certainly too long, and could be tapered a bit too.

Comment

Been lurking for awhile and finally decided to post for fit/alteration suggestions after coming across a terrific deal on a J.Crew Factory Thompson suit (less than $100).

I bought both a 36S and a 38S jacket, and I'm wondering a) which one I should keep and b) what alterations (if any) I should have done.

Here is the 36S:

And here is the 38S:

Everything still needs pressed, so I apologize for the wrinkles.

Looking forward to your comments/critiques.

JRG

Comment

jamesg, Welcome to the forums! It's hard to judge a suit from pictures. That being said, the 36S looks comically tight. The 38S looks like a good fit, but it is also bordering on being too tight. How does it feel? Can you move comfortably while wearing the suit?

Comment

Thanks, bruschetta.

Ya, I figured the 36S was too tight; it felt restricting. I typically wear a 38S but got the 36S as well because I had heard J.Crew Factory jackets ran large.

The 38S feels good. Where specifically does it look too tight?

If I keep the 38S I know I'll need to shorten the sleeves, but do you see any other alterations that I should make? I was wondering about the slight bunching below the back collar.

Thanks for your help. I'm still trying to figure out what "fit" means, so I appreciate the patience.

Comment

I'm in a similar predicament as jamesg (and also a long time lurker). I've been deciding between a 36R and a 38S in a BR tailored-fit navy suit, and I was wondering how you guys thought the they fit in the shoulders. I know the pictures aren't much to work with (I'm working on getting better ones), but just based on your initial thoughts, how do you think it fits? thanks!

http://imgur.com/a/GYW4t
            Last edited by a_tree; July 25, 2013, 07:26 PM.

Comment

jamesg: that 38S looks MUCH better than the 36S
              Check out my men's style and fitness website: www.wellbuiltstyle.com

Stay Fit. Look Sharp.

Comment

I managed to secure some better pictures of the 36R, hopefully it makes it easier to tell. It's all in the same link (http://imgur.com/a/GYW4t).

Comment

a_tree, I much prefer the shoulders in the 36R, but I prefer the body of the 38S. What feels more comfortable?

Comment

I find that the 36R is a bit snug in the neck, but not like super uncomfortable. Also, I'm a college student in the business school, and I've seen some people giving advice that as a college student I shouldn't buy the suit jacket too fitted because my upper body may change over the next couple of years (I do plan on working out in the fall), but on the other hand I want to look good and not be in a jacket that is too big for me. What seems to fit better on the body of the 38?

Comment

Hey guys, I just bought my first navy blazer. It was mentioned in this article here on Dappered. My JCPenney is closing, so I got it for like 20 bucks.

Here it is:

http://imgur.com/a/kFL97

I think it could do with some slimming in the waist and the sleeves should probably be shortened a bit since it's not showing any shirt cuff. But honestly, I doubt I can afford a tailor right now, so I might just have to make due with it as is.
                      I asked my brother and sister what they thought of the fit and they both thought it was good. So I think normal people are going to think it's fine. I'm starting college in a few weeks and I doubt there's a ton of super fashion savvy people who are going to think it's a horrible fit.

Anyways, what do you guys think about it? Is it decent enough to get by without tailoring or do I really need it?

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Jacobra93 View Post
                        Hey guys, I just bought my first navy blazer. It was mentioned in this article here on Dappered. My JCPenney is closing, so I got it for like 20 bucks.

Here it is:

I think it could do with some slimming in the waist and the sleeves should probably be shortened a bit since it's not showing any shirt cuff. But honestly, I doubt I can afford a tailor right now, so I might just have to make due with it as is.
                        I asked my brother and sister what they thought of the fit and they both thought it was good. So I think normal people are going to think it's fine. I'm starting college in a few weeks and I doubt there's a ton of super fashion savvy people who are going to think it's a horrible fit.

Anyways, what do you guys think about it? Is it decent enough to get by without tailoring or do I really need it?

Thanks!
                        $20 is a great deal, congrats! They shoulders fit pretty decently so you got that sorted. In terms of alterations, you definitely need to shorten the sleeves as they are really long and you need to take in the waist as well.

I don't know if it's because of the angle of the pic but the top button might be placed a bit high but again, it might just be because of the picture.
                        Check out my style and fitness website at: http://www.wellbuiltstyle.com

Stay Fit. Look Sharp.

Comment

[QUOTE=Jacobra93;124806]Hey guys, I just bought my first navy blazer. It was mentioned in this article here on Dappered. My JCPenney is closing, so I got it for like 20 bucks.

Here it is:

not sure how tall you are, but you look like you're about six feet or so. For $20 I think it's a pretty good deal for that blazer, but it looks a LITTLE too small (evidence: top button looks like it's a little too far up; blazer looks a little short). I try to get my blazers to end roughly right where the crotch area is

Comment

Eli Dion, thanks for your adivice! It might partly be the camera angle... it was a little lower than I was. I can't really tell in person because I don't know where the buttons are supposed to be. I didn't even notice that they might be too high.
                            How much would the sleeves and waist cost to tailor? And will the tailor know what to do or do I need to tell him exactly where to end the sleeves and how much to bring in the waist?

Cuddytime... thanks for thinking I was six foot! That's probably the only time that'll happen in my life, haha. Sadly, I'm actually 5'7". But I wish I was six feet tall.
                            Maybe the blazer is just a bit weird because it's very hard to find things that are too small for me. Usually everything is too big.
                            Thanks for the input!

Comment

Navy blazer from Black Lapel. The sleeves are too long, but is anything else off?

Comment

Looks too short to me Olaf!

Comment

Working...
                                X