This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zmac View Post
    So this is my original Thompson. Been meaning to post for a while but havent gotten around to it. Thoughts on the fit? I am undecided still.

@zmac- my 2cents,
    The Good:
    -shoulders look great. No rumples or divot. Good clean lines.
    -Chest and collar look snug. Lapels lay great.
    -Length looks great in body and arms

The Bad-
    -Maybe a slight "X" factor when buttoned. I'm against the "X" but it's easy for me (or anyone) to critique. It's pretty minimal and there are a lot of people who would disagree that it's a bad thing

http://effortlessgent.com/sport-coat-suit-fit-mistakes/

The Ugly
    -Sleeve pitch looks off. I refer to the linked article that really lays the concept out well. To my untrained eye it looks very clear, but I might be wrong. The upside is it can be fixed, at a cost.

http://putthison.com/post/3173304974...ailorgod-has-a

Hope this helps.

Comment

@DerekH- Hmm, This is a bit trickier for me. I want to say something isn't fitting right, maybe it's just wrinkled and the way your arms are raised a bit, but here's what I think I see. (split screen monitors would make this a lot easier)
      -Like you pointed out, the sleeves need to me taken up. But that's an easy on.
      -Unfortunately, on the front view pic, you have your arm slightly raised so it's hard to tell if that's a natural "divot" or the result of your arm raised. The rumpling that I see is also hard to gauge because one arm is taking the pic and the other is slightly raised. Common sense suggests that despite the raised arms the shoulders are too big since you should be able to raise the arms and not have such distinct creases (suggesting too much fabric).
      -Maybe a bit of collar gap on at the left side of your chest/neck
      -No rolls/folds/creases along the back shoulders.
      -The sleeve pitch looks really good
      -Overall length is a little hard for me to tell, maybe others can chime in, but you really need to gauge it when you curl your fingers when the arm hangs naturally at the side if you are getting the bottom of the jacket.

So based on what I think I see, I would agree that it's a toss if this were a Kensington or a Stafford. However, I would prefer better pics before I make a solid recommendation to chuck a $300+ jacket. If better ones aren't possible, then I stand by my assessment.

Maybe others will disagree with my assessment and provide better assessments to help correct mine if I'm off base, which will only help you decide which way to go.

Hope it helps
      Last edited by ajk170; May 25, 2013, 12:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ajk170 View Post
        @zmac- my 2cents,
        The Ugly
        -Sleeve pitch looks off. I refer to the linked article that really lays the concept out well. To my untrained eye it looks very clear, but I might be wrong. The upside is it can be fixed, at a cost.

http://putthison.com/post/3173304974...ailorgod-has-a

Hope this helps.
        So in other words I have retarded arms haha? Would the sleeve pitch thing be a problem on pretty much any jacket for me.

I dont mind the X to much since its not to severe and I am in the process of losing weight, so that would probably help that issue.

Thanks for the opinion.

Comment

@zmac- I don't think it's an every jacket type thing. I too have sleeve pitch as a problem do to my posture. Like the article from the link suggests, it's a style within a manufacturer, maybe the one particular jacket itself, so trying on others within the same style may help or trying a different maker. But the real upside is that a good tailor can fix the problem.

My recommendations for better tailors is to go to Nordstroms, Saks (if you have one) Brooks Brothers or any better men's store and ask for their tailor. More than likely they outsource their work. Brooks Brothers might be your best bet since they will be accustomed to the sleeve pitch issue.

Retarded arms, no. Retarded posture... well...

Comment

Yes posture.... I'll work on that haha.

I have a good tailor. I'll see what it will run me.

Comment

Looking for feedback on suit and dress shirt. Thanks.

Comment

J Crew Slim Oxford

How does this look? This is the J Crew Oxford in slim fit. I bought it a while back, and most of my shirts fit like this, so I wanted an opinion.

Comment

Also, I was wondering about this Ludlow sportcoat. I know that the jacket blends into my jeans, so in one of the pictures I cupped my hands to show where the jacket stops. I know that I need to get the sleeves shortened, and I also should probably have it taken in at the waist. What do you think?

Comment

Hi! Long time lurker, first time poster. Went to the mall today and came home with this blazer. How does it look?

Comment

New suit from Black Lapel. My first suit from them is here.

I have a challenging build to fit, with a 10.5" drop. I have some thoughts but I'll reserve them for after others have commented. Ignore the shirt, it's on its way to the tailor as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
                        Hi! Long time lurker, first time poster. Went to the mall today and came home with this blazer. How does it look?

Opps. How do you edit messages?
                        http://img600.imageshack.us/img600/3153/tmp1039x.jpg
                        http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/3003/flexione.jpg
                        http://img825.imageshack.us/img825/3681/sidemna.jpg
                        http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/3903/backohb.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by austinm View Post
                          Also, I was wondering about this Ludlow sportcoat. I know that the jacket blends into my jeans, so in one of the pictures I cupped my hands to show where the jacket stops. I know that I need to get the sleeves shortened, and I also should probably have it taken in at the waist. What do you think?

Austin- total honesty, not sure what's going on there, but it looks like a lot of things all at once. Unfortunately, the pics are really dark so it's really hard to critique. My best suggestion without better pics, if you can return it, do so and size down. If you can't return it, try and get better pics.

The shoulders look way too big and the body is too baggy. Hopefully others will chime in and give an assessment but that's what I'm seeing without better pics.

Hope it helps.

Comment

@art- the pics aren't working very well. They're too small and cropped.

Comment

Originally posted by austinm View Post
                              How does this look? This is the J Crew Oxford in slim fit. I bought it a while back, and most of my shirts fit like this, so I wanted an opinion.

Austin - looks good... I would make the mistake and wear un tucked but after seeing a picture of how it looks untucked, I now say wear it tucked in- the tail is too long and longs unkempt if in tucked.

Comment

Originally posted by docka View Post
                                Looking for feedback on suit and dress shirt. Thanks.

Docka- links seem to be broken

Comment

Working...
                                X