Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@Runners n jeans - truth is, most people don't I remind myself the same thing whenever I go out in something I'm not totally pumped about. And nobody ever gives me looks or laughs, so I realize that this clothing thing is all in my head. Helps me spend less $$ too, haha!

Comment

@MaxMan I pretty much agree with all your assessments. It's definitely trendy and I can't really think of any occasion in which I would wear it.

I want to take this opportunity to learn what makes a good fit so that next I buy a blazer or sportcoat it will actually fit correctly! I can see that it's too boxy and there is too much material. This would be easily fixed by a tailor though, right? The shoulders are slightly too large but not by very much. I do remember when I tried 34R I couldn't even move my arms. I've never seen size 35 offered and in fact size 36 is usually the smallest most places go. How would I go about in the future finding one that fits correctly?

Also, I'm glad to hear I nailed the correct fit on the pea coat. It's probably one of the first purchases I made having been aware of proper fit so it looks like I'm on the right track. Yes!

@runner n jeans Haha. Thanks for the recommendations. I'm leaning toward just ditching it. I hate how it's been staring at me whenever I've opened my closet these past 2 years. Over the past few months I've been getting rid of anything that simply was the wrong size (It's depressing how much that was. I've come a long way over a year from always wearing t-shirts a size too large and baggy cargo pants.) and the blazer is probably one of the only things that was even close to being a correct fit. But you know what? I can't even remember the last time I saw someone my age wearing a blazer so maybe I'll just wear it one last time just for the heck of it before I retire it permanently. Anyways, good luck to us both in improving our style!

Comment

@D4rkRXN - hah! I totally feel too young/not professional enough to wear blazers so I gave away my last one recently. Be sure to donate your clothes to a favorite charitable organization instead of letting them sit around/end up in the trash!

Comment

@LosRockets I know! I wonder at what age I'll truly be able to pull of a blazer. I'm in my first year of grad school so I think it's soon? Then again I'm in engineering and most people just dress the same way as before... which isn't that great.

Comment

@LosRockets & @D4rkRXN:

Dan Trepanier of thestyleblogger.com constantly says this: Whatever you wear, wear it confidently and you can pull it off. If you're self-conscious and lacking confident in it, it ends up showing.

This isn't a pep talk about finding your inner self and psyching yourself up . It's realizing that people don't care or know as much as you think and that we too often are too concerned with the way others perceive us.

Wear it like a boss, as they would say.

Comment

@runners n jeans I definitely agree. Confidence plays a huge role. I've been following thestyleblogger for a while now. Good stuff. I already dress at a level above many people I know (not saying much here). My main objection to the blazer is that I don't like it personally and not so much how other people would perceive it. Or at least that's what I tell myself. Hah. In any case, I'm definitely down to wear a blazer; I just need to find one that I like.

Comment

<blockquote>

I wonder at what age I'll truly be able to pull of a blazer. I'm in my first year of grad school so I think it's soon? </blockquote>
                <blockquote>

My main objection to the blazer is that I don't like it personally and not so much how other people would perceive it.</blockquote>

@D4rkRXN

Oh, I'm a little confused. Are you talking about blazers in general or that specific one that you posted?

It sounds like the former in the first quote but then the latter in the second quote.

Comment

@runners n jeans Oops. Sorry about the ambiguity. You're right. I'm talking about blazers in general in the first quote and that specific blazer in the second quote.

Comment

How's this? I'm not used to jackets this thick, so it feels a little too big to me, but I'd love all of your input. This is the LL Bean Canvas ("Harrington") jacket. It's definitely thicker/warmer than I expected, so I'm not sure if it is quite what I'm looking for.

I feel like the arms are a little big, and the waist could be a little slimmer. But I'm not sure if it's in that "close enough" category. Also, I can try to get better pictures if it would help.

Comment

The sleeves look like they have a good bit of extra width in that second picture.

I ordered an LL Bean jacket not too long ago and ended up returning it because it didn't fit well enough. I ate the $6.50 return fee and got back $61 instead.

Comment

Looks a bit bulky on you thmage. Don't know how you look without the jacket but something tells me you're not as bulky as the jacket makes you appear. At the same time though, if you feel like you can go out and about and do your cool weather business in it and not feel like you're wearing something that restricts your movement or is just so big you're self conscious in it, then I might just keep it. After all, it's a jacket and most (kind, decent) people won't judge you based on the fit of something that's ultimately designed to keep you warm.

Comment

Ok! Got the 38r in the gap ticket pocket blazer in the mail today.

Front:

http://s1050.photobucket.com/albums/s407/Big_Scooter/Suit%20fit%20pics/38r/?action=view&current=IMG_4288.jpg

Back:

http://s1050.photobucket.com/albums/s407/Big_Scooter/Suit%20fit%20pics/38r/?action=view&current=IMG_4290.jpg

Side:

http://s1050.photobucket.com/albums/s407/Big_Scooter/Suit%20fit%20pics/38r/?action=view&current=IMG_4289.jpg

Jacket pulled completely tight so you get an idea of my build:

http://s1050.photobucket.com/albums/s407/Big_Scooter/Suit%20fit%20pics/38r/?action=view&current=IMG_4294.jpg

I think this one is a winner, but let me know what you think! The sleeves need to be shortened, of course. I can't decide if I need to get it tapered in the waist or not.

Incidentally, these are not taken in my room.

Comment

Got a slim cotton suit from h&m. I figure a suit for $60 that I can take to the bar and bang around isn't bad. It's straight OTR, yes I'm aware that the pants are in desperate need of ironing.

What do you guys think? Sleeves are a tad too long. As I'm looking at it now I just noticed how bad the distressing is on the button. What say you guys?

Comment

@Totino's fit.

I like shorter jackets, but that seems much too short. Also looks like the jacket is about to pop open. I like the color though.

Comment

Yeah me too, and they were all out of other sizes

Comment

Working...
                                X