Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official "How Does This Fit?" Thread

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Thanks man. For reference, the sales guy at suitsupply told me that they do regularly alter the sleeves of their coats for people. They recommend a half-inch or so of room to work with on the sleeve (I believe for $20) before you're too close to the buttons, or if that isn't enough room for $75 they can do it from the top of the arm.

    Comment


      Question: I'm considering getting a [URL="http://www.barneyswarehouse.com/seavees-10%2F60-buck-501943359.html?index=6&cgid=mens-shoes"SeaVees 10/60 Buck[/URL]. I'm usually a 9.5, but with some things (running shoes, most recently), I am a 10, and according to Allen Edmonds I am an 11. The shoes are only available in sizes 7, 10, and 11, so does anyone familiar with their fit care to offer an opinion? Is it worth the risk? Are the shoes even worth getting? They look remarkably similar to desert boots, despite not even being chukkas, but I imagine I could wear them casually in all the same outfits without issue. Hope this is the right thread for this...

      Comment


        I grabbed the khaki slim-fit Claiborne suit from JCP the other day, not too shabby. It could be a little darker, but it'll do. New shirt from Target as well. Let's hear how the fit looks, gentlemen.





        Please excuse the poorly oriented images. No idea what tinypic is thinking and I'm not sure how to fix it.

        Comment


          Originally posted by DerekH View Post
          Thanks man. For reference, the sales guy at suitsupply told me that they do regularly alter the sleeves of their coats for people. They recommend a half-inch or so of room to work with on the sleeve (I believe for $20) before you're too close to the buttons, or if that isn't enough room for $75 they can do it from the top of the arm.
          That's good to know- Suitsupply is my next purchase- I may end up ditching the some of what I've got in order to lean down the wardrobe for better rather than mass- following the ideas over on EG and promoted by others here.

          Comment


            Originally posted by joshjensen View Post
            I grabbed the khaki slim-fit Claiborne suit from JCP the other day, not too shabby. It could be a little darker, but it'll do. New shirt from Target as well. Let's hear how the fit looks, gentlemen.





            Please excuse the poorly oriented images. No idea what tinypic is thinking and I'm not sure how to fix it.
            @josh- not to be hyper-critical, but this is a "how does it fit" thread so I submit that the shoulders look too big. I say that using the following link as a reference to support what I think I see is the infamous shoulder "divot" in the right arm. (you need to scroll down a little ways in the linked article to see the topic)

            http://effortlessgent.com/sport-coat-suit-fit-mistakes/

            I think, by looking at the photo, if you did the shoulder to the wall test it would also prove it's a little large. I could be wrong, and hopefully I am, but it's something to re-look. The "divot" in your picture isn't as pronounced as in the EG link.

            I would suggest shortening the sleeves and pants a little too.

            Hope it helps
            Last edited by ajk170; May 22, 2013, 04:12 AM.

            Comment


              Originally posted by ajk170 View Post
              @josh- not to be hyper-critical, but this is a "how does it fit" thread so I submit that the shoulders look too big. I say that using the following link as a reference to support what I think I see is the infamous shoulder "divot" in the right arm. (you need to scroll down a little ways in the linked article to see the topic)

              http://effortlessgent.com/sport-coat-suit-fit-mistakes/

              I think, by looking at the photo, if you did the shoulder to the wall test it would also prove it's a little large. I could be wrong, and hopefully I am, but it's something to re-look. The "divot" in your picture isn't as pronounced as in the EG link.

              I would suggest shortening the sleeves and pants a little too.

              Hope it helps
              Yeah, I agree on the shoulders. Looks just a hair too big there to my untrained eye. Not awful, but might be worth trying a size down.

              Comment


                Originally posted by DerekH View Post
                Still trying to find a nice sport coat / blazer. This one's a Ludlow Italian Wool Blazer (42L) in charcoal. Know the arms would need a slight shortening, but not loving the overall fit. Thinking its going back but figured I'd get some advice.



                I'll probably just spend the extra $100 for the navy suitsupply blazer Joe recommended. I know their stuff fits my tweener body.
                Other than the sleeves, which need to be taken in, I think this actually fits you well.

                The length of the body is good and you have a nice taper through the waist.
                Check out my men's style and fitness website: www.wellbuiltstyle.com

                Stay Fit. Look Sharp.

                Comment


                  Hey guys, this is my first ever foray into the world of used eBay clothing, wondering what you guys think about the fit of this blazer I picked up.

                  Relaxed


                  Standing up Straight


                  Buttoned up
                  Last edited by aqwayne93; May 23, 2013, 11:14 PM.

                  Comment


                    @aqwayne- Ok, too long in the sleeves. I suggest mid-wrist bone is where the sleeve open should stop so that your shirt cuff can extend 1/4" to 1/2" beyond the jacket. Other's may recommend something a little different for the sleeve length, but it won't be too far different.

                    The body really needs to be taken in- a lot. That's even if you just want a regular non-slim fit.

                    The shoulders look really good. No rumpling on the tops, no noticeable divot on the sides and it would seem, the shoulder-to-the-wall test would yield a positive result. There's no profile shot to see if there is any "rolls/folds/creases" along the back of your shoulders but given what we see from the front there may not be any.

                    The jacket seems to be a vintaged piece due to the lower and wider lapels- that's ok- it's a good look. I would also try the collar test as well. I Look in a mirror and raise your arms up from your sides and see if the back of the jacket collar pulls away from the back of your shirt collar. The theory is that the two should be like velcro to each other.

                    Hope this helps
                    Last edited by ajk170; May 23, 2013, 11:26 PM.

                    Comment


                      Originally posted by DerekH View Post
                      Yeah, I agree on the shoulders. Looks just a hair too big there to my untrained eye. Not awful, but might be worth trying a size down.
                      I'll see if I can find myself a 36R somewhere. In my experience, they've been too snug and short for me. Aside from the slightly noticeable shoulder divot, and the shortening of the sleeves and pant legs, how does it appear to fit? Like in the waist of the jacket and such. I'm on the fence with this, as I prefer a pretty slim-fitting pant. Thoughts?

                      Comment


                        Thanks for the input AJK170! It was really helpful. I know the sleeves are long, but at the $20 shipped I paid for this thing, I'm not sure how much I want to invest in tailoring. Also, not sure what material it is, no tag to say. Quality seems good though ( tag says dior homme, but im not sure if its the truth) and item is in good condition

                        Comment


                          Originally posted by joshjensen View Post
                          I'll see if I can find myself a 36R somewhere. In my experience, they've been too snug and short for me. Aside from the slightly noticeable shoulder divot, and the shortening of the sleeves and pant legs, how does it appear to fit? Like in the waist of the jacket and such. I'm on the fence with this, as I prefer a pretty slim-fitting pant. Thoughts?
                          @josh- In the body, it looks good. Nice taper and the lapels seem to contort to your chest and NOT continue and then drape down the chest. No gaps appear between your chest and labels either, suggesting a snug fit. I saw somewhere that a test for fit (forgive me if you've already seen and tried this) in the chest is to make a fist, and slide it in-between your chest and jacket. The jacket should then feel snug to tight. I maybe a little off on that but that's the premise. Plus, there's no dreaded "X" when buttoned (I assume you buttoned the second to help show fit) which would suggest, in one school of thought (http://effortlessgent.com/sport-coat-suit-fit-mistakes/) that the jacket is too small. So that's very good too.

                          You appear to have long arms and when viewed from the front, the bottom of the jacket seems to stop short on you. If you caught Joe's post the other day from the main site talking about jacket fit (http://dappered.com/2013/05/5-clothi...y-should-know/) you may have seen the point about overall length and how to gauge it. When standing straight with the arms at the sides hanging naturally, curl your hands, at your sides, as if making a fist. As you curl your hands, the bottom of your jacket should "hit" at your first (maybe second) joint. If you're grabbing a lot of coat, it's too long. If you can't grab anything without bending your arm up, it's too short. A close look at the frontal view suggests you can't grab any coat. From the side-view, the length of the coat is not so apparent. At first look, the good taper of the jacket and fit is what I noticed but a more critical assessment suggests the divot and overall short length.

                          I should say, I am very critical of myself thus it tends to show here when looking at general fit. I suggest all this in hopes it spurs others to cast a dissenting critical opinion if I'm way off base. In the end, it helps everybody.

                          As an aside, a person could do a deep-dive on the concept of the dreaded "X", divots, and rumples through the preceding link and subsequent links in that article, as well as Put This On and SF on those topics and their undesirable ascetics, but I don't really see them talked about much here. I could be wrong on the last point.
                          Last edited by ajk170; May 24, 2013, 03:28 AM.

                          Comment


                            So I've been going through old clothes in an effort to lean down and donating stuff that is beyond hope or terrible fits. Remembered I had this cotton khaki ludlow from about 2+ years ago (when they first launched ludlows) in my office as my "emergency blazer." It doesn't fit awesome (sleeves, for one), but looking at it I'm throwing it to you guys. Should I try and get it tailored to tighten it up or toss it?

                            Note: this thing has literally been hanging from the back of my office door for a good year and a half+.





                            Comment


                              So this is my original Thompson. Been meaning to post for a while but havent gotten around to it. Thoughts on the fit? I am undecided still.



                              Comment


                                Originally posted by DerekH View Post

                                Note: this thing has literally been hanging from the back of my office door for a good year and a half+.

                                Toss it.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X