This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fodd forlorare View Post
    Since you seem to have similar stats- what size do you wear?
    In BRs suits/blazers (tailored fit), as well as a few other brands, I wear a 42R. You'll want to wait for a BR sale that *includes* suits/blazers, which can be a daunting task in and of itself. The courteous gents here in our community are usually all over those types of details, as is our esteemed guru Joe, on the main site. I got my BR suit as part of the F&F 50% off deal, along with a few of their blazers. When those opportunities present themselves ya gotzta jump on 'em.

All of that being said, if you partook in the 50% off JCF sale on that suit, then you know what I mean. Something about the words "half-off"... yep-yep!

Comment

Hi crew,

Its been awhile since I've been on this thread.
      I recently picked up the Jcrew Linen & Cotton
      Twill blazers and needed some feedback.
      - I really only need 1 of these that would be
      the most versatile

sidenote-
      mikead91 & bb have already given me some
      great feedback in another thread based on
      which would work here in the TX summers.

Linen:
      http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o...9.jpg~original

Cotton Twill:
      http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o...2.jpg~original

Thx in advance for any input
      Last edited by itsmejson; May 2, 2013, 11:10 PM.
      **Previously itsm3json, from the old dappered site**

Comment

which fits better?

suit jacket 1:

suit jacket 2:

Comment

2 looks too short and a bit too tight. I'd say definitely number 1. If you feel there is too much room in the waist, you can always have it taken in slightly - though honestly, I think the waist suppression looks pretty decent as is.
          Ben

Comment

Originally posted by MaxMan View Post
            I do apologize but you look like you are swimming in the jacket. I think your best best is to start fresh. If you have already put in 100 plus into it stop the bleeding and just start over. I can tell the coat is too big because the gorge is too low. Your jackets gorge (the break in the lapels area) should be closer to where your shoulders are. I might suggest you actually keep the pants from all i see it seems like they are proportional. Was this a suits seperates purchase? In any case, i dont normally rec starting over but this one might be a good candidate especially if you are will to buy another.
            Originally posted by bruschetta View Post
            Matt, the suit does not fit you. That being said, don't be too self conscious about it. The reality is that most people won't notice or care. For future purchases, I'd recommend Brooks Brothers Madison or Regent cuts; the Regent in particular is made for your frame since it has narrower shoulders but generous space in the body.
            Thanks MaxMan and bruschetta for the honest feedback, it's what I was looking for. Now I just need to decide whether I should get another navy suit or go with dark gray/charcoal. Bruschetta, what are your thoughts on Indochino? I'm just wondering if it would be better value for me than BB given that I don't wear suits often and it might fit better since it would be MTM? What about SuitSupply? Perhaps too tight-fitting for my build?

Comment

Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
              2 looks too short and a bit too tight. I'd say definitely number 1. If you feel there is too much room in the waist, you can always have it taken in slightly - though honestly, I think the waist suppression looks pretty decent as is.
              exactly what i was thinking. thanks!

Comment

Quick fit check. This is BR's tailored slim shirts. I feel it's pretty good, but I'm always looking for more trained eyes.

Comment

@nc - looks pretty good to me! Can't tell if your right cuff is too big or unbuttoned (left is unbuttoned), but that's an easy fix.

Pretty sure your fly is open...

Comment

@Juan - #1 def fits better, #2 looks 'shrunken'.

Comment

Originally posted by AENYC View Post
                      Pretty sure your fly is open...
                      Bahahaha.... ahem. *zip*

Comment

MattRicketts, A dark charcoal suit works for everything. It's appropriate for funerals, business, weddings, etc. Navy is also good, but you'd still need a funeral suit. Pick the one that you personally find more fun.

I wouldn't recommend Indochino to anyone. There have been one or two passable fits posted in the 100+ page thread on Styleforum, but the other hundreds of fits have been bad. I won't harp on this since others on the forum disagree. I think that BB's regent fit would fit you far better than a suit from any of the cheap MTM outfits.

SuitSupply would be tricky for your body type. The London or Napoli fits may work for you, but I would only go that route if you live near one of their stores to get fitted. You could also play the game of ordering multiple sizes and returning the ones that don't fit if you don't mind the $400-per-suit charges sitting on your credit card. Keep in mind that there's a bit of size variation among the same fit of SuitSupply suits. In other words, not all Napoli fit suits fit the same. Some of the Napoli suits were too tight for me.

ncfranklin, that shirt fits you damn well. On an unrelated note, I recommend that you switch to a higher ply quilted toilet paper.

Juan, suit jacket #1 looks alright. How do the shoulders feel? Suit jacket #2 is too tight in the waist and the length is too short. I wouldn't take the waist in on either or you'll wind up with flaring hips.

Comment

Originally posted by yoyorobbo View Post
                          In BRs suits/blazers (tailored fit), as well as a few other brands, I wear a 42R. You'll want to wait for a BR sale that *includes* suits/blazers, which can be a daunting task in and of itself. The courteous gents here in our community are usually all over those types of details, as is our esteemed guru Joe, on the main site. I got my BR suit as part of the F&F 50% off deal, along with a few of their blazers. When those opportunities present themselves ya gotzta jump on 'em.

All of that being said, if you partook in the 50% off JCF sale on that suit, then you know what I mean. Something about the words "half-off"... yep-yep!
                          Yep, that's the hard part.

Okay, another try.. this time *with* pants. So I'm expecting you to chime in, bruschetta!

I guess a tailor would at least need to taper the armholes, and most importantly take out a lot out of the waist area. However, I feel like with my built, I won't ever be able to find a blazer where I won't need to do at least the latter. 40R was good in the arms and waist (although there still was room), but too tight in the chest/shoulder area. Finding clothes that fit well are a b.. are quarrelsome to me, to say the least.
                          Last edited by fodd forlorare; May 3, 2013, 06:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by fodd forlorare View Post
                            Yep, that's the hard part.

Okay, another try.. this time *with* pants. So I'm expecting you to chime in, bruschetta!

I guess a tailor would at least need to taper the armholes, and most importantly take out a lot out of the waist area. However, I feel like with my built, I won't ever be able to find a blazer where I won't need to do at least the latter. 40R was good in the arms and waist (although there still was room), but too tight in the chest/shoulder area. Finding clothes that fit well are a b.. are quarrelsome to me, to say the least.
                            I'm no expert but I'm not sure about the shoulders. They look fine (to my untrained eye) from the front but from the side there is something that is making it not lay flat. Hopefully someone with more expertise can help you identify the issue. Frankly, upon a second glance, it could just be wrinkled. Good luck to ya.

Just a side note: Typically you don't button the bottom button of suit jackets/blazers (unless it's a one-button jacket).

Comment

Originally posted by Zilch View Post
                              I'm no expert but I'm not sure about the shoulders. They look fine (to my untrained eye) from the front but from the side there is something that is making it not lay flat. Hopefully someone with more expertise can help you identify the issue. Frankly, upon a second glance, it could just be wrinkled. Good luck to ya.

Just a side note: Typically you don't button the bottom button of suit jackets/blazers (unless it's a one-button jacket).
                              I agree about the shoulders. Here's a nice link I read a few days ago but it looks like he has a shoulder divot and weird shoulder rumpling going on.
                              http://effortlessgent.com/sport-coat-suit-fit-mistakes/

Comment

Originally posted by bruschetta View Post
                                Juan, suit jacket #1 looks alright. How do the shoulders feel? Suit jacket #2 is too tight in the waist and the length is too short. I wouldn't take the waist in on either or you'll wind up with flaring hips.
                                shoulders are good. i'm keeping #1.

Comment

Working...
                                X