Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't tell about the waist from a pic. You should be able to determine that yourself based on how much extra space there is. The straight/slim fit is a personal preference IMO. I always get straight fit, but that's just me.

Comment

@adamm - Both the shirt and the pants look too big for you. There's shirt material overflowing from the waist. No bueno. It looks like there's some extra material in the crotch of the pants. Personally, I think the legs need to be a bit more tapered and the hem needs to be shorter. I'd try a slim fit.

Comment

@adamm: Wear them with shoes so we can get a good look at the break. Try sitting down in them. In my experience, Bonobos pants should fit like a glove when you're sitting. If the waist fits but you can't feel the fabric when you're sitting, try the slim straight. As far as I know, the two cuts don't differ much below the knee. Most Bonobos pants have something of a boot cut.

When buying from them, I recommend buying multiple sizes and cuts. Returns are as ridiculously easy as they say they are!
        Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society. ~Twain

Comment

Originally posted by DXLi View Post
          In my experience, Bonobos pants should fit like a glove when you're sitting.

When buying from them, I recommend buying multiple sizes and cuts. Returns are as ridiculously easy as they say they are!
          This is true. They should fit snug when sitting.

That's what I did initially. Ordered several different sizes to determine the fit since their return process is so easy.

Comment

Originally posted by DXLi View Post
            @adamm: Wear them with shoes so we can get a good look at the break. Try sitting down in them. In my experience, Bonobos pants should fit like a glove when you're sitting. If the waist fits but you can't feel the fabric when you're sitting, try the slim straight. As far as I know, the two cuts don't differ much below the knee. Most Bonobos pants have something of a boot cut.

Thanks for the help! Being tall, i'm mostly just concerned with is them being long enough, which they are thankfully. Almost impossible for me to find pants that fit me. I'm definately gonna just order about 4 pairs though. Just worried that ill pick something that's too snug/skinny. Need to blend in not stand out at work as my office is pretty conservative. Too tight pants would be a very very bad thing, but i obviously still want them to look stylish.

Comment

Originally posted by adamm View Post
              Just worried that ill pick something that's too snug/skinny. Need to blend in not stand out at work as my office is pretty conservative. Too tight pants would be a very very bad thing, but i obviously still want them to look stylish.
              That's why I always go with straight fit but it looks like your thighs aren't as thick as mine so you might be ok in the slim fit. Also, I've found that some of their pants just don't work for me. The chinos are great, but the travel jeans (which I tried in a bunch of different sizes and colors) wouldn't fit me properly no matter what. If you find their pants don't work for you, try another one of their styles or a different brand entirely.

Comment

Originally posted by MattRicketts View Post
                A couple of pics of me in my lone navy suit (Joseph Abboud for Nordstrom, 44L) before/at a wedding yesterday:

In any case, let me have it. I'm all ears for how I can improve the fit of this or future suits. Is this thing salvageable or do I need to start thinking about budgeting for a new suit in the next few years?
                Matt, the suit does not fit you. That being said, don't be too self conscious about it. The reality is that most people won't notice or care. For future purchases, I'd recommend Brooks Brothers Madison or Regent cuts; the Regent in particular is made for your frame since it has narrower shoulders but generous space in the body.

Originally posted by adamm View Post
                Thanks for the help! Being tall, i'm mostly just concerned with is them being long enough, which they are thankfully. Almost impossible for me to find pants that fit me. I'm definately gonna just order about 4 pairs though. Just worried that ill pick something that's too snug/skinny. Need to blend in not stand out at work as my office is pretty conservative. Too tight pants would be a very very bad thing, but i obviously still want them to look stylish.
                For future reference, hemming (shortening) pants is inexpensive. I buy pants that are unhemmed or too long so that I can shorten them to the perfect length. I think that your choice of a straight fit is the right one.

Comment

Originally posted by MaxMan View Post
                  i cant place my hand on it but something about the fit is not right. Maybe its the drape. I think its ok from the top although the shoulders could be a little closer, but not significantly. I think the arms need to be trimmed, and shortened slightly. you need it to be taken in at the upper sides and possibly cinched at the waist so the silhouette shows becasue it dont see it.
                  Thank you! Do you think this is worth taking to a tailor, or should I return it altogether? In any case, the 40R version was definitely too snug...

Vicious49, bruschetta:
                  Do these work now?

Comment

The jacket looks pretty good...especially paired with plaid boxers! hah

Comment

Originally posted by fodd forlorare View Post
                      Thank you! Do you think this is worth taking to a tailor, or should I return it altogether? In any case, the 40R version was definitely too snug...

Vicious49, bruschetta:
                      Do these work now?
                      Yes, I can see the pictures now. I'm going to politely refrain from sharing any observations on the fit until you put on a pair of pants.

Comment

Originally posted by bruschetta View Post
                        I'm going to politely refrain from sharing any observations on the fit until you put on a pair of pants.
                        This gave me the lolz.
                        Ben

Comment

I can't tell if that wrinkling near the shoulders is because they're too big on you or if the suit is already wrinkled.

Comment

Originally posted by bruschetta View Post
                            Yes, I can see the pictures now. I'm going to politely refrain from sharing any observations on the fit until you put on a pair of pants.
                            You have to understand that I currently live in Phoenix, and the AC was broken. Walking around in a shirt, much less the blazer itself was a pretty ordeal in itself. But enough excuses, I'll try to post better pics later.

Comment

I understand that you likely got a killer deal on the JCF suit, but might I suggest you at least *try* BR's navy tailored suit. Reason I say this is I share your stats- height and weight that is - not underwear preference (you can see this isn't going to stop anytime soon, right? LOL).

Although, we all have different builds, be it differences in shoulders, arms, "drops," etc., the BR suit (along with their blazers) fit *me* better IMO than most others out there in that similar price range and style. Just a thought. You might not like them, but it could be educational for sake of comparison.

Comment

Originally posted by yoyorobbo View Post
                                I understand that you likely got a killer deal on the JCF suit, but might I suggest you at least *try* BR's navy tailored suit. Reason I say this is I share your stats- height and weight that is - not underwear preference (you can see this isn't going to stop anytime soon, right? LOL).

Although, we all have different builds, be it differences in shoulders, arms, "drops," etc., the BR suit (along with their blazers) fit *me* better IMO than most others out there in that similar price range and style. Just a thought. You might not like them, but it could be educational for sake of comparison.
                                Ha, I guess I deserved that one. However, it's a pyjama that I wear above my underwear lol.

In any case, the problem with trying on the BR blazer is that I don't own a car, and public transportation is really bad out here. I might get someone to drive me there, but it's an obstacle at least (I will also leave the country in a couple of weeks). Since you seem to have similar stats- what size do you wear?

€dit: I should also mention that I did not try on that particular Blazer in the photo when I decided to go with 42R. I was trying on the Cotton Blazer, and the 40R was definitely too snug in the shoulder/chest area. Since they didn't have the Wool Thompson in either 40R or 42R, I had to decide which one they should order for me based on my testing the Cotton 40/42R. I figured the Cotton and the Wool versions would have a similar cut..
                                Last edited by fodd forlorare; May 2, 2013, 03:32 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X