Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey guys just got my wool 38R Factory Thompson in. This is my first suit and I would like some feedback. It feels like it fits very well but needs the sleeves shortened and probably the pants shortened. It could probably come in on the waist as well. I'm not really sure though. How does it look? Does anything else seem to need work? Thanks guys!

http://tinypic.com/r/9hqoh4/4
    http://tinypic.com/r/14ahsg7/4
    http://tinypic.com/r/2v33q5d/4

Comment

I'm not sure how to edit my previous post, but I wanted to add that I feel it fits well in the shoulders. I have read that the fit there is the most important, and the other things can be tailored. I am going to try and take better pictures today to post as well.

Comment

Need advice on this J Crew brown herringbone Ludlow I got off Ebay. It's my normal 38R but being my 1st recent Ludlow, I see what people say about it being much looser than the BR tailored fit blazers. I can have the sides brought in and the sleeves shortened a bit but I'm mostly concerned about the shoulders. Do they look ok or should I get rid of it?

Last edited by Vicious49; April 23, 2013, 05:04 PM.

Comment

@vicious--IMO it looks good other than the sleeves like you mentioned. How much room is there at the waist? It may not be worth the cost of bringing it in.
          Countryside Man of Letters

Comment

@vicious - I think the shoulders look good.

Comment

Vicious, that looks excellent. The sleeves need to be shortened, but the rest doesn't need to be touched. If you want to sharpen it up, the sides could be taken in a bit. I probably wouldn't bother.

Comment

Thanks guys. As long as the shoulders are good, I can fix everything else. I'll let my tailor figure out what needs to be altered. He always does a great job. He charges a good amount but always makes it look great.

Comment

Hi, I normally wear a 38 but now tried a 36... it actually seems like it fits ok. So it fits ok unless I try to bearhug myself then the shouulders feel tight.. is this normal? let me know what you think? I have always worn not fitted so this is new!

I actually like the 36 with jeans but 38 feels better for a suit.. dont want to be uncomfortable.. would love your thoughts. Thanks!

36 here:

Comment

A couple of pics of me in my lone navy suit (Joseph Abboud for Nordstrom, 44L) before/at a wedding yesterday:

I know the shoulders and chest are too big, but how bad is it? I bought the suit as my "suit that every man should own" back in 2004 before I knew anything or cared about menswear and wearing clothes that fit. I've already spent upwards of $100 over the years having the sides taken in and sleeves shortened, but am not sure if I should keep it (since I rarely need to wear suits) or eventually buy a new "go to" suit that fits me much better. Given my somewhat stocky frame (42 chest AND waist) perhaps the strong shoulder/British continental silhouette is appropriate for my frame?? I dunno, I'm still learning about and often get confused about the difference between a suit's fit and silhouette, and how the two relate. The guys on Put This On often talk about how jacket fit should be appropriate for your body type and needn't always be soft-shouldered, slim-fitting, etc. I'd like to think that may be the case here but something tells me that the shoulders are just way too damn big. When asking my tailor about it she said it's "not that bad," which is one of the reasons I'm not sure I trust her instinct when it comes to how classic menswear should fit.

In any case, let me have it. I'm all ears for how I can improve the fit of this or future suits. Is this thing salvageable or do I need to start thinking about budgeting for a new suit in the next few years?
                    Last edited by MattRicketts; April 28, 2013, 04:40 PM.

Comment

So, during the 50% off J.Crew Factory Sale, I finally pulled the trigger on my first ever navy blazer (Thompson Wool). The 40R was definitely too snug in the shoulders/chest (I am 6', 185lbs, with an athletic built), however, the 42R seems to be a bit too loose in the waist area. Opinions?

http://imgur.com/0u3cbgR,V6Hj4q6,8LWPuom,Yz4bqDH

Oh, and please don't mind my pyjama trousers, ha.

Comment

Originally posted by MattRicketts View Post
                        A couple of pics of me in my lone navy suit (Joseph Abboud for Nordstrom, 44L) before/at a wedding yesterday:

I know the shoulders and chest are too big, but how bad is it? I bought the suit as my "suit that every man should own" back in 2004 before I knew anything or cared about menswear and wearing clothes that fit. I've already spent upwards of $100 over the years having the sides taken in and sleeves shortened, but am not sure if I should keep it (since I rarely need to wear suits) or eventually buy a new "go to" suit that fits me much better. Given my somewhat stocky frame (42 chest AND waist) perhaps the strong shoulder/British continental silhouette is appropriate for my frame?? I dunno, I'm still learning about and often get confused about the difference between a suit's fit and silhouette, and how the two relate. The guys on Put This On often talk about how jacket fit should be appropriate for your body type and needn't always be soft-shouldered, slim-fitting, etc. I'd like to think that may be the case here but something tells me that the shoulders are just way too damn big. When asking my tailor about it she said it's "not that bad," which is one of the reasons I'm not sure I trust her instinct when it comes to how classic menswear should fit.

In any case, let me have it. I'm all ears for how I can improve the fit of this or future suits. Is this thing salvageable or do I need to start thinking about budgeting for a new suit in the next few years?
                        I do apologize but you look like you are swimming in the jacket. I think your best best is to start fresh. If you have already put in 100 plus into it stop the bleeding and just start over. I can tell the coat is too big becasue the gorge is too low. Your jackets gorge (the break in the lapels area) should be closer to where your shoulders are. I might suggest you actually keep the pants from all i see it seems like they are proportional. Was this a suits seperates purchase? In any case, i dont normally rec starting over but this one might be a good candidate especially if you are will to buy another.
                        "The key to Success is the Quality of Execution"
                        I>0<I

Comment

Originally posted by fodd forlorare View Post
                          So, during the 50% off J.Crew Factory Sale, I finally pulled the trigger on my first ever navy blazer (Thompson Wool). The 40R was definitely too snug in the shoulders/chest (I am 6', 185lbs, with an athletic built), however, the 42R seems to be a bit too loose in the waist area. Opinions?

i cant place my hand on it but something about the fit is not right. Maybe its the drape. I think its ok from the top although the shoulders could be a little closer, but not significantly. I think the arms need to be trimmed, and shortened slightly. you need it to be taken in at the upper sides and possibly cinched at the waist so the silhouette shows becasue it dont see it.
                          "The key to Success is the Quality of Execution"
                          I>0<I

Comment

Originally posted by fodd forlorare View Post

I can't see the pics but buy the ones where the shoulders fit properly and have the rest fixed by a tailor.

Comment

Originally posted by Vicious49 View Post
                              I can't see the pics.
                              Neither can I. Fodd, you can make pics visible using img tags.

Comment

Bonobos Chinos Size/Style Advice

Hey, first time posting a pic of myself here. Kinda nervous heh. Anyways, finally tried bonobos and everyone says to size down the waist. This is my normal size, should I go one size down on the waist on these? Also, this is straight fit. Think I should get a slim fit instead? Thanks for the help!

Comment

Working...
                                X