This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
    I'm going to have to disagree with my esteemed colleagues.... the fit is ok but I'm not loving the cut of that blazer on you. The shoulders look overly sharp and structured, like they have too much padding, and the button stance seems high, especially relative to the longer length of the jacket.

If you do keep it, you may want to have the sleeves shortened just a bit.
    thanks for the input guys.
    i ordered the suit from macy's for about $220ish. which i thought was a pretty good deal for an 100% wool suit. i see what you mean about the button stance being a bit high, although the top button just about lines up with my belly button. so do you guys think i should keep it and just get the sides taken in and sleeves shortened, or return it and try a different suit?

Comment

I purchased this Wool Thompson suit in heather grey about 6 months ago. Already bout it to my tailor, he let out the jacket and shortered the sleeves. He also shortned the pants. So what do you guys think about the fit:

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

I aslo just purchased this Navy wool thompson and just got it back from my tailor. Again what do you guys think about the fit:

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

I would say it looks ok but not great. It feels tight in the back and not tapered well.
          http://www.simplifiedmen.com

Comment

Guys - Looking for some help. I just got my Navy Wool Thompson in from a purchase using the GILT 25% off code. I'm a little concerned that the jacket doesn't fit. It needs tailoring, but the bit I've picked up is that make sure the shoulders fit first, then sleeves and waist suppression can be done to achieve a much better fit. So, what do you think?

Thanks in advance!

Comment

I'm no expert, but from the back pic, it looks like the shoulders might be a bit too big on you. It looks like it's protruding out a little more than ideal.

Comment

Thanks Vicious. Yeah, that's what I'm thinking too, but just looking for some gentle nudging in that direction. This is a 40R, and I'm wondering if I should send back for a 38. I have 40S in both the navy birdseye blazer and tailored grey banana republic suits. For the price, I'd really like to try to make this work.

Comment

Originally posted by jeff4 View Post
                  Thanks Vicious. Yeah, that's what I'm thinking too, but just looking for some gentle nudging in that direction. This is a 40R, and I'm wondering if I should send back for a 38. I have 40S in both the navy birdseye blazer and tailored grey banana republic suits. For the price, I'd really like to try to make this work.
                  I'm not sure about the Thompson, but I mentioned this in another thread in regards to the Ludlow line: the shoulder are a full inch wider on them compared to the BR Tailored. I'm a 40R in the BR. The shoulders measure 17", seam to seam. The Ludlows measure 18". A 38R brings it down to 17.75".

Comment

@IronRinn - That information is really helpful. To be clear, going down from a 40 to 38 only equates to a .25'' difference?

Comment

@Joe, those suits look pretty good. It looks as though the pants could be hemmed on the 2nd one.

@jeff, not crazy about the fit in the shoulders. It's not so much that it is too large overall (though it might be), more that it looks like your arms extend further than your shoulders (delts? I forget the words). This can cause odd-looking fits. If I remember correctly, this is part of why shadow started going for MTM.
                      "You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Comment

Originally posted by greg_s View Post
                        @jeff, not crazy about the fit in the shoulders. It's not so much that it is too large overall (though it might be), more that it looks like your arms extend further than your shoulders (delts? I forget the words). This can cause odd-looking fits. If I remember correctly, this is part of why shadow started going for MTM.
                        Thanks Greg. Yeah, there's just something off. Now, should I get the 38R in the exchange, or get added to the wait list for the 38S (ships in July)?

Comment

Originally posted by jeff4 View Post
                          @IronRinn - That information is really helpful. To be clear, going down from a 40 to 38 only equates to a .25'' difference?
                          Yep. I had the same issues as you did in the pic of your back, with the excess material just under the arms. A 38R fits well across the back there, and the shoulders are still a bit wider than I like but nothing that anyone who isn't scrutinizing me is going to notice. Your mileage may vary. J. Crew has a specific body-type in mind for their suits and I don't quite fit it.

Comment

@joe I'd tailor the pants a bit more, otherwise it looks like a pretty good fit for you.

And Jeff's pictures has me thinking how different "navy" can be, I think of it as almost black not darker vibrant blue, don't get me wrong a blue suit I think is my next one
                            Last edited by shad0w4life; April 19, 2013, 03:27 PM.

Comment

Get a 40L or let out the sleeves?

Hi guys. The following is the BR Tailored Navy suit in size 40R. I originally tried on the 42R and the shoulders were too big so I sized down to the 40R.
                              The shoulders appear to fit but this would be my first suit. The sleeves are obviously quite short and the waist is a tad tight (pulling at button). I was worried that if I went for the 40L the jacket might actually be too long, as this one actually covers my butt which is more apparent in the side view. I can provide more pics as necessary.

My questions are as follows:

Should I return and exchange the 40L or try to have the sleeves and waist let out a bit (if there is enough fabric)?
                              Should I not bother at all and just return it?

Thanks.

Comment

Zilch, The shoulders look a bit tight and the jacket is short. Do you feel restricted by the shoulders? The waist can be fixed by a tailor. The sleeves can probably be fixed as well. The overall silhouette is not bad.

Do you feel comfortable when wearing the jacket? Does it feel as though it fits? If so, I would keep it. If not, return it.

Comment

Working...
                                X