Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@Tommy - lengthen the sleeves 1/4" to 1/2". The jacket length is ok for casual wear, I'd say questionable for office wear.

@boomslang - the break looks fine, don't lengthen them!

@andrew - the BR factory in your other thread was much better than either of these.

@reed - I'd go for a shorter length if it's for casual wear, length is OK for office I think. Either way, I think you need to go a size down in the chest.

@vicious - I think shoulders and length are perfect. Agreed on sleeve length.

Comment

Originally posted by AENYC View Post
      @reed - I'd go for a shorter length if it's for casual wear, length is OK for office I think. Either way, I think you need to go a size down in the chest.
      Thanks for the feedback. Going down a size would necessitate it being shorter, since I'd be moving from a 40 to a 38, and they don't make a 38L. I always worry about the sleeves, since I have long arms. Is it the excess material around the sleeves that makes you think it's too big, or the overall look? Thanks again for your help, I really appreciate it.

Comment

Originally posted by Reed View Post
        Thanks for the feedback. Going down a size would necessitate it being shorter, since I'd be moving from a 40 to a 38, and they don't make a 38L. I always worry about the sleeves, since I have long arms. Is it the excess material around the sleeves that makes you think it's too big, or the overall look? Thanks again for your help, I really appreciate it.
        I forgot to mention the sleeve length, needs to be shortened probably 1/2". You want to show 1/4-1/2" of sleeve when your arms are at your sides. Personally, I think 1/2" is too much and aim for 1/4". As for why I think it's too big, the sleeve fabric seems a bit loose but mainly it's the excess fabric at the back of the jacket. See the folds/flaps on the back in the area between your elbows and armpit? A little could be taken in by the tailor but I think this is too much.

Comment

Thanks AENYC. I returned the jacket, but alas, the 38 was sold out. I did manage to try on a 38 of a different color and you were right, it fit me much better. I really appreciate your help. Back to the waiting game, for me.

Comment

ignoring the dirty mirror and the jeans, how do you guys think this fits. it's a 40L

Comment

@lawyered - try a size smaller. Looks to me like the shoulders are ok but the body flares out...not flattering. So, either a smaller size or have the sides taken in at a tailor. The sleeves are too long, you should be showing 1/4-1/2" of shirt cuff with your hands at your sides. I prefer 1/4"...1/2" looks a bit too 'shrunken' to me.

Comment

Like he said, the shoulders look ok but the body is definitely too baggy. Either try a tailored/slim fit or have a tailor take it in a lot.

Comment

Navy sport coat help

First time posting pictures...thanks in advance guys.
                  -Trying to decide between these two as my navy blue sport coat. For a bit of background:5'10",155 lbs, relatively fit, college student.
                  -Also, what type of recommendations would you make tailoring wise?sleeve shortening?waist?

Option 1: Claiborne jacket from JCP-$65

Option 2:Lands End Tailored Fit Travelors Blazer-$132 from their recent 25% off sale

This one feels nicer and is wool, but I can't tell if it fits as well.

*Sorry for the large pictures and poor lighting.

Comment

Lawyered, the blazer looks damn good for an off the rack fit. I would not size down: just have a tailor take in the sides.

Buffalobills12, Both blazers look too large for you. That being said, the detailing on the first one is far nicer.

Comment

Originally posted by bruschetta View Post
                      Lawyered, the blazer looks damn good for an off the rack fit. I would not size down: just have a tailor take in the sides.

Buffalobills12, Both blazers look too large for you. That being said, the detailing on the first one is far nicer.
                      ditto on both counts.
                      "You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Comment

Originally posted by Lawyered View Post
                        ignoring the dirty mirror and the jeans, how do you guys think this fits. it's a 40L
                        I'm going to have to disagree with my esteemed colleagues.... the fit is ok but I'm not loving the cut of that blazer on you. The shoulders look overly sharp and structured, like they have too much padding, and the button stance seems high, especially relative to the longer length of the jacket.

If you do keep it, you may want to have the sleeves shortened just a bit.
                        Ben

Comment

Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
                          the button stance seems high, especially relative to the longer length of the jacket.

If you do keep it, you may want to have the sleeves shortened just a bit.
                          BenR's right about the button stance. Now that I look at it again, it seems very high.

Comment

Originally posted by buffalobills12 View Post
                            First time posting pictures...thanks in advance guys.
                            -Trying to decide between these two as my navy blue sport coat. For a bit of background:5'10",155 lbs, relatively fit, college student.
                            -Also, what type of recommendations would you make tailoring wise?sleeve shortening?waist?

Option 1: Claiborne jacket from JCP-$65

Option 2:Lands End Tailored Fit Travelors Blazer-$132 from their recent 25% off sale

This one feels nicer and is wool, but I can't tell if it fits as well.

*Sorry for the large pictures and poor lighting.
                            Second is more casual with patch pockets, you should definitely try a size down and find a slim fit.

The below is just constructive criticism and just trying to help as I know you just asked about the blazers but I found this really emphasized the fit:

Your shirt collar looks way too big, also you should try and avoid narrow collars and get a spread; the second picture is an example of why I point this out. Notice how it takes away width from your neck/face which really adds to the image of the jacket being too big; The lapels look almost as wide as your neck.

The lands end with the notched collar, see how your neck looks beefier and the jacket doesn't look nearly as unproportioned when the collar somehow got a bit tighter/covered your neck; it's still too big but if someone held a gun to my head and said pick the best fitting I'd go with that. I think the notch lapel also helps balance it out a bit more, if you get a very fitted jacket, give peak lapels a try to make your upper torso look broader, you really need a well fitted jacket for that.
                            Last edited by shad0w4life; April 12, 2013, 12:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by shad0w4life View Post
                              Second is more casual with patch pockets, you should definitely try a size down and find a slim fit.

The below is just constructive criticism and just trying to help as I know you just asked about the blazers but I found this really emphasized the fit:

Your shirt collar looks way too big, also you should try and avoid narrow collars and get a spread; the second picture is an example of why I point this out. Notice how it takes away width from your neck/face which really adds to the image of the jacket being too big; The lapels look almost as wide as your neck.

The lands end with the notched collar, see how your neck looks beefier and the jacket doesn't look nearly as unproportioned when the collar somehow got a bit tighter/covered your neck; it's still too big but if someone held a gun to my head and said pick the best fitting I'd go with that. I think the notch lapel also helps balance it out a bit more, if you get a very fitted jacket, give peak lapels a try to make your upper torso look broader, you really need a well fitted jacket for that.
                              Thanks for this, it was particularly helpful. Both feel too large and when looking at the pictures I can tell quite easily. I understand what you mean about the lapel width.
                              Any recomendations for a slimmer, versatile sportcoat? I'm still in school, so my disposable income isn't super high...maybe $200-250 price cap?

Comment

Originally posted by buffalobills12 View Post
                                Thanks for this, it was particularly helpful. Both feel too large and when looking at the pictures I can tell quite easily. I understand what you mean about the lapel width.
                                Any recomendations for a slimmer, versatile sportcoat? I'm still in school, so my disposable income isn't super high...maybe $200-250 price cap?
                                I've been recommending itailor.com as a way to learn your MTM sizing etc, as it's about $150 for a wool blend jacket, there is no return policy like indochino though where you can make up any excuse and have them remake it. However I've had an overcoat and blazer made and both were exactly as specified.

$200 price cap...you could try that GILT coade stacking on jcrew factory and just get one of their coats, they should be slimmer fitting and many of the members here can help you with sizing if you happen to know your actual measurements.

Comment

Working...
                                X