Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm far from an expert, but the shoulders look pretty good to me. The chest also appears to be sitting nicely as far as i can tell. The waist can probably be let out some (most jackets have some extra material). Are you able to perform the "hug test?" I tried on my usual size (42R) today and it seemed really tight on my shoulders/back.
    Countryside Man of Letters

Comment

Went to a different jcp today to try to find a 44. I think this is the one. My question is about the length. This is a 44R, they did not have an S in the store but the SA said they could order one. Opinions?

Comment

Length looks good, no? Maybe shorten the sleeves a bit? I'm no expert but it looks like a much better fit than the previous two.

Comment

@Eric--This one feels far better than the other two in the back/shoulders. My concern with the length is that this one seems to be beyond the "full coverage" threshhold and I'm 5'9" so I don't want to look shorter.

Comment

Just swung by my local BR today to check out the limited selection before trying to decide if I should hoof it 50+ miles to the next nearest to give the suits a shot. Here are a couple blazer fits. I tried on the Birdseye (in 40R) and the Charcoal Herringbone (in 38R).

I have concerns about both. The 38R felt great in the shoulders but is pretty chopped length-wise on my frame and is nearing my limit for snugness of chest/waist fit. The sleeves also felt a bit short. The 40R, on the other hand, felt a lot better through the chest/waist but I feel like the shoulders are a tad large and overall it looks to be hanging off my frame rather than skimming or conforming to it. I'm trying to decide if I should bite on either blazer (the SA said he would happily order out to another store to retrieve the size I ultimately decide on) and I liked the patterning on both. How do they look?

Edit: Imgur didn't seem to want to post the pic, so here it is via photobucket.
            Last edited by Eric F; March 13, 2013, 08:39 PM.

Comment

Eric F, The 40R looks better on you. The 38R looks too small, especially in the waist. Keep in mind that I'm more conservative than the skin-tight crowd.

Comment

I agree with Bruschetta. The length on the 40 is much better too.

Comment

I agree with bruschetta and atoms. And I do like a slim fit (even if I can't achieve it myself), but the 38 looks uncomfortably snug. Even in the sleeves. The 40 still has a nice trim fit, but not tight like the 38.

Comment

Question regarding fit of two different oxford BDs I purchased.

The one on the left is from Gap and was on sale for only $35(!). The one on the right is from J.Crew and was closer to $65.

I think the one on the left is just a bit too small across the shoulders compared to the J.Crew one but still okay. Curious whether anybody thinks its worth the price different to go with the J. Crew one instead. I realize it's a minor thing, but I'm on a tight budget and don't want to buy something that doesn't fit.

Comment

First off, this sweater. I ended up getting the M on the left. I tried the S on in the store but it felt a bit too fitted. The pic of it is on the right. Did I make the right choice?

Comment

I also picked up these 2 blazers today. Looking at it in the mirror, I was thinking I might have to let the taupe out a bit but I'm good on the grey one. Looking at the pics from the back, it seems they're both a bit tight and will need to be let out. Do you guys see anything else that needs to be done? Shoulders look good?

Comment

Originally posted by Vicious49 View Post
                          I also picked up these 2 blazers today. Looking at it in the mirror, I was thinking I might have to let the taupe out a bit but I'm good on the grey one. Looking at the pics from the back, it seems they're both a bit tight and will need to be let out. Do you guys see anything else that needs to be done? Shoulders look good?

Agree on the first, needs to be let out. Nice color though!

Really like the second one. Fit is good through the waist mostly, but agree with your assessment. Only other thing I might do is slim up the middle of the sleeves a little? It looked a bit bunchy in one of the photos.

Nice pick ups otherwise.

Also, with respect to your sweater above, I think you made the right call. I think sweaters of that variety look a little off when they are overly fitted like the small appeared to be. It looks like its supposed to be casual and the medium still looks fitted enough to do what its supposed ot.

Comment

@bruschetta/atom/Mark: Thanks for the input and confirming my initial worries with the tightness of the 38R. I'm headed back to BR today after I'm finished on campus and will double check the shoulder fit on the 40R before making any final decisions, but from eyeballing the pictures again it looks like I'll end up going that route (40R + a bit of tailoring to dial in the waist/chest). Much appreciated.

@NewGuy: I have the exact same issue with GAP/JCrew as you. GAP shoulders seem to run sliiiiiiightly smaller (I have a couple of their OCBDs) whereas JCrew/JCF is a tad bigger. There's a little bit of pulling in the picture on the left, but for a $35 shirt it wouldn't concern me. The JCrew does look to be a bit slimmer through the body though, at least from the pictures.

@Vicious: Now, those look good on you. I agree that it looks like they're a bit snug across your lower back from the pictures, but there's not much pulling in front. I like the color of the taupe blazer; wish my BR had it in stock.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric F View Post

@NewGuy: I have the exact same issue with GAP/JCrew as you. GAP shoulders seem to run sliiiiiiightly smaller (I have a couple of their OCBDs) whereas JCrew/JCF is a tad bigger. There's a little bit of pulling in the picture on the left, but for a $35 shirt it wouldn't concern me. The JCrew does look to be a bit slimmer through the body though, at least from the pictures.
                              I agree with Eric F. I have to deal with a little tightness in the chest/shoulders to get a decent fit in the torso. For $35 it's definitely wearable as Eric also said. The JC shirt is trimmer in the torso, but for twice the price I'd probably pass. You always get the GAP shirt tailored later on if you end up wanting it a little more trim.

Comment

Made a few purchases and felt like I was in between sizes or something. Please help out. BR Herringbone Blazer
                                . BR trousers and BR button down
                                . BR chinos and BR luxe polo
                                . Kensington blazer

The herringbone is a 44R cause the 42R (usual size) was pulling when buttoned. I'm really new to finding clothes fitting as I used to wear everything "baggy".
                                Last edited by Tommy; March 17, 2013, 04:49 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X