Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Realized I should've posted here probably, so I'll do a repost. My apologies if I've offended anyone's delicate sensibilities.

Picked a few things up during sales/clearance, decided to combine them into one outfit for ease evaluation by my fellow Dappered members. Please pardon the mess surrounding the mirror on the full-length shots...we're beginning the process of moving. Would love to hear what you guys think, especially regarding tailoring needs, as I'm aware that both pieces would probably need a bit. This is my first time picking up trousers with any sort of pattern on it, I believe that it's subtle enough to be pretty versatile. And I'm a fan of bold patterns (shirt). Thanks, gentlemen!

Shirt: Gap slim-fit non-iron, picked up for about $30
    Pants: Express Photographer 32x34, bought for <$20

Full-body: http://i46.tinypic.com/1htlw4.jpg
    Detail: http://i49.tinypic.com/2192v55.jpg

Comment

Joshjenson,

The shirt fits pretty good for OTR for a thin man such as yourself. I know how hard it can be. I can see why you may like the pants, but they are not flattering for you in the crotch area. Notice all the extra folds/wrinkles going on. A belt might improve the situation, but right now they don't sit well in the front. You would do well with a taller rise me thinks.

Comment

New suit from Black Lapel. Thoughts? I'm thinking I'll shorten the pants (didn't have shoes on hand for the pic) but in general I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. What do you think about the wrinkling (pulling?) in the back?

Comment

Originally posted by Whiteknight View Post
          New suit from Black Lapel. Thoughts? I'm thinking I'll shorten the pants (didn't have shoes on hand for the pic) but in general I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. What do you think about the wrinkling (pulling?) in the back?
          Whiteknight, this is the first Black Lapel suit posted that I think looks wearable. I think that this suit is good enough to wear as is. You may want to shorten the sleeves slightly and have a tailor clean the back up.

Comment

Jake - probably not gonna work.
            MarkB - might be fixable, but I would opt for a suit that's closer to the target that gets taken to perfection with a tailor.
            Sgates - 38!

Comment

Originally posted by bruschetta View Post
              Whiteknight, this is the first Black Lapel suit posted that I think looks wearable. I think that this suit is good enough to wear as is. You may want to shorten the sleeves slightly and have a tailor clean the back up.
              Rubs eyes. Reads again.

So it is possible! I agree - there are many Dragon Inside suit monstrosities, so it's great to see a MTM suit turn out well.

Comment

Originally posted by nicholascrawford View Post
                Rubs eyes. Reads again.
                Hah. It's not as though I have it out for MTM companies, it's simply that most of the MTM suits on here and Styleforum are not to my taste. They look silly, cheap, and sometimes flat out ridiculous.

Whiteknight's is the exception. He could wear that suit out of the house as it is and look good.

Comment

@NC-- The trouble I am having (not just with this jacket but all suit jackets/blazers) is finding one that fits my shoulders, but doesn't look like a tent everywhere else. My delts extend beyond the apex of my shoulder and I have some thickness to my upper arm, which extends well into the sleeve when I size down. I tried the 40, but it felt like I could've hulked that jacket. I have tried BR, JC, GAP, hell I even when to Dillard's and tried on 50 jackets from 40-44 and this Thompson was the best one I could find.
                  Countryside Man of Letters

Comment

@Whiteknight - your suit BL came out so much better than mine did! I think it is definitely wearable with some very minor alterations (sleeves and back).

Comment

Got this Brooks Brothers navy 120's blazer back from the tailor. Feel pretty good about it, but curious as to everyone's thoughts on the fit.

Comment

MarkB - in that case, this might be the one.

Comment

Went to jcp today on my way to school. Tried on a few stafford slim fit blazers in both wool and cotton ;and the chino Claiborne that Joe reviewed the other day. These are the Stafford cotton slim fit:

40R

42R

Clearly the 40 is too small. I just took the picture to show the problem that I'm having (even with jackets that are technically too big). I didn't see a 44R on the rack. I really was hoping that this would fit because I have been looking for a cotton blazer for a long time now.
                          Last edited by MarkB; March 12, 2013, 06:48 PM.

Comment

It looks like you posted both of the 42 R so it is tough to tell which one is better.....

Comment

Originally posted by zitro21 View Post
                              It looks like you posted both of the 42 R so it is tough to tell which one is better.....
                              Thanks. Fixed it.

Comment

The Stafford Slim fit navy cotton blazer from JCPenny arrived yesterday, (shipped to store). There weren't any in the store (in any size), so I had to order it online sight-unseen. It's a bit snug, pulling at the button, but I wanted to get some feedback on the fit. What do you guys think? Is it salvageable? Or should I just return it? It's a 38R and I assume a 40R would be too big.

Comment

Working...
                                X