This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by greg_s View Post
    I think you may want to try some other brands, Dave.
    2001 reference? If so, +1

Comment

Originally posted by RiveDroit View Post
      2001 reference? If so, +1
      Ha! Not intentionally. Damn... I would love to take credit for that +1
      "You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Comment

I really don't think the shoulders look that bad... I have broad shoulders naturally. More opinions please. Does it really look that bad?
        42" Chest 32" Waist 6' Tall 185 lbs.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Porter View Post
          I really don't think the shoulders look that bad... I have broad shoulders naturally. More opinions please. Does it really look that bad?
          It doesn't look awful, but they are noticeably big. If you're concerned more about price than fit, you could probably find a cheaper suit elsewhere if you can wait for a sale.

The jackets just might not be a good fit for you, but I think you should take some pictures of yourself in a 40 and post them. Don't be worried about range of motion. If you're not used to wearing properly fitted tailored clothing, it will feel restricting at first. Also, don't concern yourself with the fact that your chest measures as a 42. Most men generally will wear a stated size smaller than their measured size.

Comment

Dave, it doesn't look "bad" but there are several brands at Macy's that are easy on the wallet. I'd encourage you to try the others. If the 40R is too small on you, and that 42R doesn't work, you may find a better fit in a different brand. It can be tough to find the right fit at a lower price range (fellow grad student, I get it).

For that suit, the shoulders are a bit too big. That is exacerbated by the shoulder pads in that suit not sitting well on the slope of your shoulders. The way the coat hangs on you also causes the waist to flare.
            "You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Comment

Just wanted to get some feedback about a Sweater I recently bought. Ive been looking to add some color to my sweaters and found this one at the BR outlet for 15. It's a medium, but I'm wondering if I should have sized down.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Porter View Post
                Dave, try the BarIII slim fit suits. I have a 42 inch chest also, and I got a 40r, and it fit me like a glove. Price should be just slightly more expensive, but the more natural shoulders are more than well worth the few extra dollars for me. Worth a shot!

It doesnt look terrible, but there is noticable padding that makes it look less flattering than I think a Jcrew factory thompson or a BarIII would look on you, and the price jump to one of those is minimal.

Comment

Ok, thank you very much. I feel better now.
                  I do realize it isn't an ideal fit, but it will suffice for my needs.
                  I'll get them tailored in the body and donate these when I can afford nicer suits in a few years.
                  I don't have the option of returning either of these because I have no receipts and they were both purchased well over a year ago.
                  42" Chest 32" Waist 6' Tall 185 lbs.

Comment

Originally posted by drocpsu View Post
                    Just wanted to get some feedback about a Sweater I recently bought. Ive been looking to add some color to my sweaters and found this one at the BR outlet for 15. It's a medium, but I'm wondering if I should have sized down.

The shoulders look good, but the sleeves look a little long and it might be a little too big around the waist. Small might be better. Nice color though. What color is it?

Comment

Originally posted by RiveDroit View Post
                      The shoulders look good, but the sleeves look a little long and it might be a little too big around the waist. Small might be better. Nice color though. What color is it?
                      I agree about the sleeves and waist. It's a fairly light pink. A nice change from my many shades of gray sweaters. Downside is that they didn't have any smalls left that I can remember. I'll have to check and try one.

Comment

Bought this suit when I was 30 lbs heavier,(and knew nothing about clothing or fit) I desperately want it to fit cuz it's a gorgeous midnight navy, I know it doesn't fit right now, but you think a tailor can fix those awful divots? I'd definitely need to nip it in the sides

Comment

I have had JCF Thompson hanging in my closet for a couple of months now because I wasn't sure if I was gonna keep it or sell it and buy something else. I snapped a quick picture yesterday, just to get some feedback and help me make a decision. It's a 42R, I have tried on the 40R and the 44R and I almost feel like I need a 41. I know the sleeves are long and the waist needs some slimming. Im looking for some input on the shoulders. I realize that the help may be limited due to having just one picture. I will try to get some more up soon, I just want to see if I am in the ballpark or not. Thanks in advance.

Countryside Man of Letters

Comment

I am planning on picking up a new suit soon. Currently my suits consist of billowy fits from menswear house sales I got right out of college.

I tried on the JCF Thompson in store today. I still don't have the ability to tell if the fit is right, so I'm turning to you guys. The 38 felt too tight around the chest and back but when I went to the 40 it felt too big in comparison. I plan on taking the suit to the tailor but I'm not sure how much the suit can be let out, or if that's even an option. Sorry for the crappy pictures, its a little awkward snapping photos in the store.

Here's the 38

The 40

And a 40 in the dark shade, I think this is the poly blend? I should've checked.

Any help/opinions welcome. Thanks guys.

Comment

The 38, definitely the 38. Sleve length is perfect, shoulders look fine, a tad tight in the waist but it can be let out, I think. The 40 looks wayyyy boxy on you.

Comment

38 for sure. Depending on the price of the tailor, I'd might just leave it as is. Or hit the gym hard and lose a few pounds, which is win all-around.

Comment

Working...
                                X