Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks pretty good, at least from what's visible in that picture. What do you normally wear in lettered sizes? Also, how was the fabric? I noticed it's a cotton/poly blend.

Comment

I think it looks good. My personal concern with sizing down is usually in the neck (Adam's apple) and often times across the chest too. In your pic, I see a *little* bit of a pull from shoulder to chest, but nothing really bad, and I presume you will normally wear this shirt unbuttoned at the neck, so probably no worries at all there. If you're worried anout the shoulder seam, don't; I'd say it looks good and is hitting where it should.

Comment

Really? Looks to me like the shoulder seam is about half an inch from where it needs to be; it should be at the farthest point to the outside on your shoulder. That being said, I've generally found shoulder fit on buttonups to be secondary to waist fit. For one, if you're wearing this shirt casually, you can drop a couple buttons and it should be close enough to not be a fit concern. If you're wearing it with a tie, my personal stance is that you lose the tie before you lose hte jacket, so you should be wearing a jacket as well and nobody is going to see the shoulder seams. As long as the sleeves are long enough, it should be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by trash View Post
          Looks pretty good, at least from what's visible in that picture. What do you normally wear in lettered sizes? Also, how was the fabric? I noticed it's a cotton/poly blend.
          I wear a L in most things and a M in some things.

The fabric was decent, especially for $11. And it doesn't make noise when I move, unlike my jcp 100% cotton gingham poplin from last season.

I have long arms so it can be frustrating to find Mediums that fit in the sleeves. And not enough places make medium tall sizes. Well at least jcp doesn't...

I couldn't try on a 16 neck in store so I ordered online. We'll see if that works and if I have to I'll just have it tailored.

Comment

Originally posted by Mikey View Post
            Really? Looks to me like the shoulder seam is about half an inch from where it needs to be; it should be at the farthest point to the outside on your shoulder.
            I've always took it to mean that the shoulder seams should rest at or very close to where your arm and collar bone meet (I have a bit of a bony knob that makes it easy to tell), rather than worrying about accommodating all the associated musculature. But like everyone's mentioned so far, I think it looks good through the chest and body from the picture. Might be a touch small in the shoulders, sure, but when all is said and done I'd say it's a solid fit. Especially if you're throwing a sweater/jacket over it like Mikey said.

Comment

Originally posted by Zilch View Post
              Hi guys,

This weekend I tried on the Stafford fitted gingham shirt at jcp.
              I'm pretty sure the shoulders are too small, but I wanted a second opinion on the fit. I didn't pull the trigger because of the shoulder fit, but it fit great everywhere else, which is a bummer.

The size in the pic is a 15.5/34-35 if that makes a difference. Thanks for the feedback.
              I think it looks good but if it feels tight then yea it's the wrong size but by looks I'd say it fits. I just bought the same shirt in the same size (15.5 34/45) and I have to say I'm pretty impressed even before the price. My only complaint is the lack of colors.

Comment

Originally posted by sanjaygolf View Post
                I think it looks good but if it feels tight then yea it's the wrong size but by looks I'd say it fits. I just bought the same shirt in the same size (15.5 34/45) and I have to say I'm pretty impressed even before the price. My only complaint is the lack of colors.
                My concerns about the shoulder fit were mostly aesthetic. It wasn't uncomfortable by any means. It just looked off to me; I'm glad to hear that it doesn't look as bad as I thought.

Comment

Originally posted by Acousticfoodie View Post
                  So I guess...maybe I can use it?
                  I vote looking into getting the straps shortened but if the price isn't right then by all means use it the way it is.

Comment

I would shorten the straps, but not because it's wrong to use a woman's bag or anything like that.

It just seem inconvenient to carry if you can't put it over your shoulder. If you carried it like a briefcase it would hang too much.

Comment

How are the shoulders? Picked up at JCP. If I get the green light here I'll go ahead with alterations.

42" Chest 32" Waist 6' Tall 185 lbs.

Comment

Dave Porter - looks pretty good. What would you alter? The sleeves look long. It's pulling at the button...you may want a little more breathing room in the body.

Comment

Originally posted by nicholascrawford View Post
                          Dave Porter - looks pretty good. What would you alter? The sleeves look long. It's pulling at the button...you may want a little more breathing room in the body.
                          Thanks! I was worried because this is a 42R. Although I have a 42 inch chest, most 42R are too big sometimes.

The pic is a bit deceiving.
                          It is actually a little roomy in the midsection.
                          Going to need taken in at the sides.

http://www.jcpenney.com/dotcom/gifts...=SearchResults

Comment

Quick Background: I'm in grad school, I can't afford nicer suits right now.
                            How bad are the shoulders on these? That is all I am concerned about. I hate the padding.
                            I could barely move in the next size down.

Gray

Black

Same jacket brand and size. Alfani Red 42R. I have a V shape. Thin/Athletic. Need extreme tailoring around midsection.
                            Will these suit my needs? One or two weddings a year and a funeral here and there.

Comment

Shoulders look way too wide on the black one. In the future, try standing perpendicular against a wall. If the shoulder seam can touch the wall or is close to touching the wall, put the suit back.

The gray one is OK, but the padding looks funky since it messes up the slope of your shoulders.

Comment

I think you may want to try some other brands, Dave.
                                "You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Comment

Working...
                                X