Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I tried on the JCF Thompson corded cotton blazer this past weekend (I'm pretty sure it's the right one, but it looked more greyish than the "newport blue" color that's shown online) and was ultimately disappointed in the fit. However, I can't seem to put my finger on exactly why I didn't like it and I'm presuming this is just a result of my lack of experience with blazers in general.

This is the 38R. The shoulders felt fine but the waist felt too tight (e.g., all of that pulling at the button) as if it were cinched without the rest of the jacket being overly slim. Essentially, even though the waist seemed to be too tight I feel that there was too much material in the chest (i.e., lapels are not lying properly on my shirt) and I think it still looks boxy despite being too tight, if that makes sense.

Unforunately the 40R was a bit too wide in the shoulders for me. Can any of you experienced gents chime in and put words to the problem for me? I'm also unfamiliar with tailoring and what can easily be altered (aside from jacket length, sleeve length, and taking in the waist) so it's difficult for me to envision what's actually modifiable and what's a part of the overall skeleton of the jacket. I passed on it, obviously, but for my own edification I figured I would ask for some critiques. So please, have at it!

TLDR: is it the tightness in the waist that's throwing the rest of the fit off ?

Last edited by Eric F; February 25, 2013, 09:34 PM.

Comment

I apologize for the flash but my main concern is over the shoulders which i think stands out with the flash. It's the Claiborne blazer at JCP
      http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...225182230.jpg/

Comment

Originally posted by bruschetta View Post
        Acousticfoodie, I will never let you live this down. Never.
        Totally missed Foodies girly bag...YOU ARE A MAN FOODIE LMAO...too funny, you guys are making this a pleasant morning. Cheers
        "The key to Success is the Quality of Execution"
        I>0<I

Comment

Originally posted by Eric F View Post
          I tried on the JCF Thompson corded cotton blazer this past weekend (I'm pretty sure it's the right one, but it looked more greyish than the "newport blue" color that's shown online) and was ultimately disappointed in the fit. However, I can't seem to put my finger on exactly why I didn't like it and I'm presuming this is just a result of my lack of experience with blazers in general.

This is the 38R. The shoulders felt fine but the waist felt too tight (e.g., all of that pulling at the button) as if it were cinched without the rest of the jacket being overly slim. Essentially, even though the waist seemed to be too tight I feel that there was too much material in the chest (i.e., lapels are not lying properly on my shirt) and I think it still looks boxy despite being too tight, if that makes sense.

Unforunately the 40R was a bit too wide in the shoulders for me. Can any of you experienced gents chime in and put words to the problem for me? I'm also unfamiliar with tailoring and what can easily be altered (aside from jacket length, sleeve length, and taking in the waist) so it's difficult for me to envision what's actually modifiable and what's a part of the overall skeleton of the jacket. I passed on it, obviously, but for my own edification I figured I would ask for some critiques. So please, have at it!

TLDR: is it the tightness in the waist that's throwing the rest of the fit off ?

Overall, I think the fit is nice here Eric, I do see what you mean about the cinching your x is very well defined after you button the blazer. The side view explains it well, you see how the lapels are pulling out that means the jacket is pulling to much at the bottom. I would recommend having the lower quarter let out a little bit, not too much though becasue the fit is almost perfect, maybe a half inch total all around. Its not a big deal though.
          I>0<I

Comment

Originally posted by sanjaygolf View Post
            I apologize for the flash but my main concern is over the shoulders which i think stands out with the flash. It's the Claiborne blazer at JCP
            http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...225182230.jpg/
            What is your concern sanjay? I think the fit is great, i do think the jacket looks somewhat short on you though, is that the wooster touch?
            I>0<I

Comment

Originally posted by MaxMan View Post
              What is your concern sanjay? I think the fit is great, i do think the jacket looks somewhat short on you though, is that the wooster touch?
              I guess I'm just concerned with it overall. This is my first "how does it fit". Do you think it's too short? Or do you think I could get away with it. If I bought it I'd only wear it in a casual setting. I can't see myself wearing them with anything other than jeans. The chest and waist fit great. No tailoring needed.

Comment

@AcousticFoodie
                I like that bag a lot. Who cares if it was made for women?

Comment

I guess I'm just concerned with it overall. This is my first "how does it fit". Do you think it's too short? Or do you think I could get away with it. If I bought it I'd only wear it in a casual setting. I can't see myself wearing them with anything other than jeans. The chest and waist fit great. No tailoring needed.
                  The fit of the jacket itself looks fine but it is on the short side. Some people like them that way, although it would be too short for me personally.

Comment

I dont think its too short, i (as a matter of personal opinion) just find it a tad bit shorter, kinda line the tom ford blazers (but not that short), nothing to worry about. That said, the blazer looks great (albeit a blurry pic). You can wear it with anything really, jeans certainly. Chinos slacks etc., a blue blazer is probably the most versatile piece in your closet. keep it and experiment with it. Fit is good length is ok.
                    I>0<I

Comment

Hey guys haven't posted here in a while. What do you all think of the shoulders? Usually wear a 40 but seemed like the 42 fit me pretty well at Banana Republic (and the fact they didn't have a 40). Length and sleeves seemed good tough I will need to take the waste in a bit. Thanks in advance!

Comment

@Sledge: Suit looks just a tad large on the shoulders but not too bad. I think you should checkout a 40 tho to be sure. I noticed you took pictures twice with the last one's covering your face. Do you want me to edit your post and remove the pictures of your face?

Comment

Originally posted by TomasR View Post
                          @AcousticFoodie
                          I like that bag a lot. Who cares if it was made for women?
                          Maybe there's still hope! Additionally, look at these Filson bags for men I came across with the longer handle straps:

So I guess...maybe I can use it?

Comment

Originally posted by Acousticfoodie View Post
                            Maybe there's still hope! Additionally, look at these Filson bags for men I came across with the longer handle straps:

So I guess...maybe I can use it?
                            I say go for it and don't worry about reflections on how well you conform to gender expectations. Odds are very low you'll be confused with a woman - unless you also wear a dress. And even then...

Comment

Originally posted by Shomas View Post
                              I say go for it and don't worry about reflections on how well you conform to gender expectations. Odds are very low you'll be confused with a woman - unless you also wear a dress. And even then...
                              All jokes aside, i think foodies portfolio bag (judging by the thickess, thats what it probably was used as) is nice, if you like it man, thats all that really matters and you clearly do like it. I think since you made the joke we all went along with it, but the bag is cool, and id def rock it in the spring / summer
                              I>0<I

Comment

Hi guys,

This weekend I tried on the Stafford fitted gingham shirt at jcp.
                                I'm pretty sure the shoulders are too small, but I wanted a second opinion on the fit. I didn't pull the trigger because of the shoulder fit, but it fit great everywhere else, which is a bummer.

The size in the pic is a 15.5/34-35 if that makes a difference. Thanks for the feedback.

Comment

Working...
                                X