Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vicious49, The first blazer looks good enough that I'd keep it, and I am darned picky. The sleeves are slightly too long, but that is a fast and cheap fix. I'd take it to a tailor to see what he thinks. Do the shoulders feel comfortable?

The second blazer has trojan-esque shoulder padding that I find unattractive, but the rest looks good in terms of fit. I dislike the pattern, and I usually like patterned sport coats.

I think that the first blazer is a great find. I have yet to find a navy cotton blazer that looks and fits that well.

Comment

Thanks for the thoughts bruschetta. After looking at the pics of me wearing it, I didn't like the 2nd one much either.

I love that 1st one. The shoulders fit great. It is a tad bit restrictive, but not nearly as bad as my Kensington blazer. It needs to be let out maybe an inch. but even if the there's not enough material there to let it out, I'll probably still end up keeping it as its not that often that you'd button up your blazer anyways.

Comment

The first one looks great, just shorten the sleeve a tad and let it out as you feel necessary. As for buttoning a blazer, I compulsively button mine whenever I stand back up, but maybe that's just me. I dislike the bold pattern of the second, it doesn't lend itself to versatility or frequent wears and I'd personally return it.

Comment

I second Bruschetta and Los, Vicious: first one's a keeper, second one the padding and pattern are both too strong for my taste. Whether it's to your taste or not, the second one is the kind of sports coat you get as your 10th sports coat. Heck, I have 8 sports coats, I believe, and I still would prioritize adding 5-10 other colors/fabrics/etc over something that can only ever be worn as infrequently as that one.

Comment

Originally posted by Vicious49 View Post
            I hate the angle my wife takes the pics at because it makes it look like I have a really big head, a long torso and short stubby legs.
            Dude, that made me spit my coffee out. LOL - Suuuuuure, blame your large-melon'd, long-torso'd, stubbiness on your wife's photography skills.

Kidding, of course. I've tried to take a few pics of myself for WIWT, and were horrified by the images I produced. LOL - Wait... why am I laughing at that? I *totally* need to work on my photogenicity (or whatever). Regardless, your WIWT pics always look just fine, and do a great job of displaying your look for the day.

OK, back to the matter at hand: I agree with the general public here thus far. The first one (navy) looks great! Keep it. Rock it. The 2nd (patterned) one is not to my liking. I think the fit is a little weird, but moreso the pattern just kills it for me. I've tried that look, in-store a few times myself, and I just couldn't pull the trigger. Up to you, of course. But those are my couple of gold pieces.
            Last edited by yoyorobbo; February 14, 2013, 11:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by heister View Post
              I find it odd how your wife doesn't find it weird that you ask her to take a picture of what you are wearing so you can post it on the internet so a bunch of guys can admire your outfit.
              She gave me crap about it. She's like - 'you should just listen to me instead of these dappered guys.'

She makes fun of me for the WIWT thread all the time. She didn't know what the pics were for until she saw the title of the thread once at the top of the forum and started laughing. I tried telling her it stands for 'what is weather today'. She doesn't buy it but I'm sticking with my story.

Comment

'What is weather today' - that's great! Seriously, your wife's awesome for being so understanding/cool with it (yeah she teases you but if she didn't, that'd be kinda weird).

Comment

Originally posted by LosRockets View Post
                  'What is weather today' - that's great! Seriously, your wife's awesome for being so understanding/cool with it (yeah she teases you but if she didn't, that'd be kinda weird).
                  Yeah, she's awesome. She's from Texas so she's more laid back than the majority of women in the DC metro area.

So I sent that bold plaid pattern one back and decided to get another jacket from their Sterling collection. This one fits me perfectly except for the sleeves being an .5-1 inch long. Even the button doesn't seem to be pulling so it doesn't need to be let out. Figured I'd post here for a second opinion.

It's a herringbone design. I do wish it was more grey or brown than burgundy though. Ignore the white stitching on the pockets. I just haven't removed that or the tags yet.

Comment

Vicious49, tuck in the shirt. That sport coat fits you perfectly. If you like the style, then it's a definite keeper.

Comment

Okay so my first ever blazer/suit showed up today. Well, the blazer at least. I am still waiting on the pants. This is the new JCP Claiborne blazer in 40R. I thought I would wear a 38R based on Joe's measurements but this seems like a good fit through the shoulders. Waist could come in A LOT though. How does it look? Good enough for an interview I have next week? My shirt needs to be ironed (and I may just get a new non-button down one to wear) but I am new to this and am looking for some constructive criticism. I don't think the coat is very flattering at all, but I think it will work for one day until I can order a Thompson and have it tailored. What do you all think?

http://s1327.beta.photobucket.com/us...5056f.jpg.html

Comment

Originally posted by RMac View Post
                        Okay so my first ever blazer/suit showed up today. Well, the blazer at least. I am still waiting on the pants. This is the new JCP Claiborne blazer in 40R. I thought I would wear a 38R based on Joe's measurements but this seems like a good fit through the shoulders. Waist could come in A LOT though. How does it look? Good enough for an interview I have next week? My shirt needs to be ironed (and I may just get a new non-button down one to wear) but I am new to this and am looking for some constructive criticism. I don't think the coat is very flattering at all, but I think it will work for one day until I can order a Thompson and have it tailored. What do you all think?

http://s1327.beta.photobucket.com/us...5056f.jpg.html
                        Are a lot of those wrinkles from the shipping? Can you fit a fist between your stomach and the top button of your blazer? Thumb towards your body and pinky towards the jacket.

Comment

Yes, I can fit a fist between. And yes, the wrinkles were there when it arrived. Is there a quick and easy fix for that? I have heard of hanging them in the bathroom while you shower.

Comment

I just tried it on again with a different shirt and tie. The shirt is a little too big, but is a point/semi-spread I think. Either way, it's a bigger collar with a slightly wider tie and I think it looks a lot better. On the fit, if I push my stomach out, it barely touches where the button is. I think the problem might be the shoulders causing the button to pull.

Comment

RMac, the blazer looks too big for you. It's usable, but I would size down.

Comment

Hey bruschetta, thanks for your take on it. The little town I am from doesn't have any of the new stuff, but I'm going to Knoxville today to try and exchange it for the 38. Maybe I can find something good thrifting while I'm there! I will post pics of the 38 if it fits through the shoulders. Are most 38/40 similar in the shoulders and just slimmer through the waist? I have a lot to learn about suits and fit.

Comment

Working...
                                X