Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Next up, a J Crew Cord blazer. The shoulders are just on the verge of being too small (I have to make sure it sits right upon my collar to avoid a gap), sleeves are kind of narrow, and I'm seeing some shoulder wrinkling. Oh, and it has the typical J Crew Ludlow-fit problem of a single center vent that flares on me.

On the other hand, it's a casual blazer. Am I being too particular? (sorry, not my best photography job and inadequate lighting a dark fabric make it difficult to make out some of the details).

Comment

Oh, and here's the shoulder:

Comment

@redbeardedmike: You're right; I think that LL Bean shawl looks good. For the cardigan, have you tried playing around with unbuttoning the top/bottom buttons to see if it changes your feelings about the fit?

I have another question for the collective mind as well. Here's a Frank & Oak windbreaker that I picked up a while back on a whim (I was coming out of a heavy Bonobos phase and was mesmerized by the bright color) but I can't for the life of me figure out how I should wear it. I'm curious about the fit, too, as it feels good through the waist (nice and slim) but I'm thinking the shoulders might be a bit too roomy. Any insight for a newbie? I'm just at a loss as to how I can temper the brightness with the rest of my outfit to make it feel a bit more wearable.

Comment

@redbeardedmike: I like the look of the Tyrwhitt much better. The buttons, knitted pattern and pockets are great details. Fit looks fine to me, sleeves a little long though?

Comment

@redbeardedmike - Love that sweater. A bit envious of it actually

I'll echo Eric F about the buttons. Personally, I would just button the 2nd and 3rd from the top. Either way, if there's anything that you can get away with a fuller fit, it's a chunky cardigan like that.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. I'm definitely keeping the Bean sweater. I think it's a nice color (lighter than navy, but still dark and versatile) and great fit and quality for $50.

I will play around with the buttons on the Tyrwhitt. I'm still not sure how to wear cardigans, so these are helpful suggestions. I really like the cable knit details and chunky texture on that one, but have to figure out if it's worth the $90 to me. The buttons look nice but actually seem like kind of cheap plastic up close. I could always have them replace if I felt like it (although heavier buttons would weight it down, I saw that complaint in reviews for this double-breasted LEC cardigan, which has heavier metal buttons - it can be had for $57 with the current coupon, by the way).

Unfortunately, the sleeves are a little long, but sizing down won't help. Sleeves on both the small and the medium are 25 inches. According to their website, the small would be 3" smaller in the chest and 1" shorter in the body. For those still interested, the sweater is available in oatmeal for $10 more - but is only available in the medium and XL blue. I've had luck when they've re-stocked things in the past, but it was for classic things like blazers, not seasonal items like this.

Comment

Originally posted by A3M0N View Post
                How does this fit? The sleeves are long I think.

edit: As I was setting this up, my little girl handed me the little flower so I stuck it in my lapel.
                Yeah, I'd agree. It would be nice to see some shirt sleeve at your wrist there.

I bet some would say the jacket sleeves could be taken in some too (meaning: baggy). Most of my jackets are kinda like that, though. I have yet to become buds with a local tailor, myself. I need to do that soon.

The added flower is awesome, man. I bet you made your little girl's day when you did that. Very, very cool.

Comment

Can I get some opinions on fit for the blazer in this picture? I'm not used to wearing a blazer so it feels kind of weird wearing one but I'd like to start doing it more.

Comment

I'm looking for some opinions on these two blazers. The first is the JCF tweed blazer and the second is the BR tailored taupe cotton blazer. Neither have been tailored. They are both 36S.

Both could probably have the sleeves shortened a bit (the BR especially), but I am more interested in the waist and shoulders of both. The tweed seems more contoured and fits better, but maybe a tad big in the shoulders? The BR blazer just was delivered, hence some of the wrinkling on the back that may back it a bit hard to judge.

http://imgur.com/a/dKixo

Thanks for your feedback!

Comment

I like the JCF one more. The sleeves look a bit trimmer, button stance is better, shoulders look alright and waist looks a smidge trimmer as well. Lets see what the usual suspects have to say though.

Comment

Hey all,

I'm still learning the ropes with blazers, and I'd appreciate any feedback on the fit of this one:

I haven't cut the thread on the vent; I'm not sure if that has to do with it popping up. If not, is that something that can be easily fixed?

Thanks!

Comment

DB, From what I can see it looks like an excellent fit. The sleeves are a bit long, but that's an easy and inexpensive fix. I'd cut that thread on the vent to see if it settles down. If not, a tailor may be able to help.

Comment

Agree with bruschetta, the fit looks excellent!

Comment

Great—thank you!

It's funny how you can't see things when you haven't yet figured out how they should look...

Comment

Got these 2 Hickey Freeman blazers in the mail today. I threw them over the jeans I was wearing at the time which I realize now isn't helping much with the navy jacket pics. I hate the angle my wife takes the pics at because it makes it look like I have a really big head, a long torso and short stubby legs.

The 1st one is a dark navy that is 100% cotton. It seems a bit tight in the chest so it needs to be let out about an inch. What do you think of the sleeves? Do they need shortening? Anything else wrong with it? I really hope not because I like this one a lot.

The 2nd one is a big plaid pattern and is 100% wool. This one does not need to be let out. What do you think of the rest of the fit? Also, I'm not sure how I feel about this pattern and if I should keep it or return it.

Comment

Working...
                                X