This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tim View Post
    Finally got around to taking a couple pics of my JCP blazer. This is a small so I can't size down. I know the sleeves are too long and it's currently too wide, but I can't tell if the shoulders are too big or just padded. Not sure what I'd be looking at to get it tailored and if it's worth it.

Arms up
    Side Shot
    Previous outfit for reference
    Really wish the GNex camera wasn't so terrible ><
    I think I'd pass. Everything - including the shoulders - looks a small notch too big for you. I mean, the shoulders are in the category of "wearable, if I'd thrifted it," but I personally wouldn't want to put that much work (sides and sleeves) into a JCP sports coat (since part of the point is that you're getting it for cheap). Then again, I have a murderously expensive NYC tailor, so your tailoring threshold may be different.

Comment

I agree with Idle_Hands... the shoulders don't seem to fit especially well. The amount of tailoring you'd need done on the rest of the jacket (waist suppression and sleeve shortening) would be more expensive than the jacket itself - way too much investment into a relatively low quality piece, especially since the fit will still only be mediocre thanks to the shoulders.

I'd say you'd be better off returning it and waiting for a decent discount on a Banana Republic tailored fit jacket, or something else similar. It's better to spend more on a higher quality item that needs only a small amount of tailoring than to get a very cheap jacket that your tailor will essentially have to remake for you.
      Ben

Comment

Originally posted by Acousticfoodie View Post
        Thanks for the responses guys. Sounds like in general Straight probably fits me better, but I wouldn't look weird with the skinny fit. Thanks!
        I think skinny and even slim straight is really tough to pull off when you have broad shoulders. I'm in the same boat - have really broad shoulders and a narrow waist and I feel like I look top heavy w/ a really slim fit pant. Since I don't wear underarmour compression shirts every day, the inconsistency in fit between upper and lower body just looks off.
        Reminds me of that scene in Superbad where Seth is trying to talk himself into the tight pants.

Comment

Acoustic: Post that shot of you in the slim pants but include your shoes in the shot as well. I need to see how those pants taper to better gauge on the fit.

However, with that said, I still think the slim cut looks IMMENSELY better than the straight. This is because you have an athletic physique. I typically wear my pants "slim", although in reality that are just regular/straight cut but at 5'11 and 190lbs (wearing a 32 trouser) my muscular thighs make a straight look slim.

Look at guys like Daniel Craig for inspiration:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_qoWLRO8FsY...-Of-Solace.jpg

That's the type of fit all muscular guys should be aiming for imo
          Check out my men's style and fitness website: www.wellbuiltstyle.com

Stay Fit. Look Sharp.

Comment

Originally posted by Carl Sagan View Post
            Acoustic: Post that shot of you in the slim pants but include your shoes in the shot as well. I need to see how those pants taper to better gauge on the fit.

However, with that said, I still think the slim cut looks IMMENSELY better than the straight. This is because you have an athletic physique. I typically wear my pants "slim", although in reality that are just regular/straight cut but at 5'11 and 190lbs (wearing a 32 trouser) my muscular thighs make a straight look slim.

Look at guys like Daniel Craig for inspiration:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_qoWLRO8FsY...-Of-Solace.jpg

That's the type of fit all muscular guys should be aiming for imo
            Thanks for the reference. I guess I will experiment with the middle ground as others have talked about. I didn't even know there was a "slim" option. I thought jeans were either boot cut, straight or skinny. Someone mentioned the 513s here, I'll take a look at those when I get the chance...or would it just be cheaper to just have my current pants tailored?

Comment

@Acoustic: What brand of jeans are those? The "skinny" ones look like 7 For All Mankind.

Comment

Thanks for the reference. I guess I will experiment with the middle ground as others have talked about. I didn't even know there was a "slim" option. I thought jeans were either boot cut, straight or skinny. Someone mentioned the 513s here, I'll take a look at those when I get the chance...or would it just be cheaper to just have my current pants tailored?
                Tailoring them could be cheaper.

I had to get a pair of Levi's 501s tailored. The jeans fit great through the seat and thighs, but below the knee they were just too big so I got a tailor to slim them up and narrow the leg opening. Cost me $17, which isn't too bad considering I got the jeans for like $40.

Another example from Craig on how a pair of jeans should fit:

http://www.bonnegueule.fr/wp-content...aig-London.jpg

Cuff or not cuff, that's up to the individual.
                Check out my men's style and fitness website: www.wellbuiltstyle.com

Stay Fit. Look Sharp.

Comment

If you're wearing the 501, the next slimmest down is the 514 (there's also a 508 that should fit like a 501 with a bit of taper below the knee), which is much easier to find in stores than the 513. The 513 has more of a taper below the knee than the 514.
                  501 > 508 > 514 > 513 > 511
                  Agree with the other comment that seeing the fit from knee to shoe is important for judging the fit. Personally I preferred the look of the slimmer ones on you, but they look like they might be too tight in the thigh (hard to tell in a pic) and need a slightly longer rise so as not to look ....crushing. If the shots are a 511 and a 501, then you should be pretty happy in a 514 or 513.

Comment

Picked up the Kensington blazer from Target over the holiday break. I'm a 39 chest so I opted to grab the medium, but the fit feels off to me. A bit tighter than I'd like through the midsection (pulling at the button), yet the shoulders feel like they're just a touch too big. What do you guys think? Just chalk it up to a cheap $30 blazer? Unwearable? Any input appreciated as I'm still new to this whole thing.

Edit: Woops, blasted you all with a huge pic. Here's the resize.

Comment

I think it looks fine for a $30 blazer.

Comment

Agree w/ Vicious. Edit: is tight in the midsection. Up to you if you're okay with that or not.
                        Last edited by LosRockets; January 7, 2013, 09:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric F View Post
                          Picked up the Kensington blazer from Target over the holiday break. I'm a 39 chest so I opted to grab the medium, but the fit feels off to me. A bit tighter than I'd like through the midsection (pulling at the button), yet the shoulders feel like they're just a touch too big. What do you guys think? Just chalk it up to a cheap $30 blazer? Unwearable? Any input appreciated as I'm still new to this whole thing.
                          Hard to tell, especially with the navy, but the shoulders look okay to me. Lots of people claim that there are some noticeable sizes differences between two examples of the item in the same size (ie two mediums, but one has a slightly tighter waist than the other), so it may be worth trying on a different medium in store to see if you can't find one that doesn't pull quite so much if it bothers you. If not, it still looks fine as is.

Comment

Thanks for the input everyone. I suppose I'm less bothered by how the pulling looks than by how restrictive it tends to feel if I'm doing anything other than standing or walking (though from the notes above it sounds like the Kensington is more restrictive in general). I wasn't aware of the sizing inconsistencies, Tim, but I guess I'm not overly surprised. I ran into similar issues with a couple pairs of 514s that I just picked up; pretty frustrating to have to try on 3+ of the exact same cut, size, and inseam to get it right.

Wish I had a Target near me here to try out another medium. I think I'll just stick it out for now and upgrade it when I run across a solid deal on a BR/JCrew jacket in the near future.

Comment

Just got this back from the tailor. I feel like she didn't do anything. After pic is on the left. Thoughts?

Comment

Ya, whatever she did, it was not enough. Not a flattering job. The bottom kinda blouses out too much. Sleeves seem short. And i am not sure if it is just that it is a closer pic or not, but did she move the inner (cosmetic) buttons over further from the center? It seems significantly more spaced apart. I would definitely bring it back and ask her to fix it for free, that just looks half done.

Comment

Working...
                                X