Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it normal fit for the Kensington (or blazers in general, seeing as I don't own one yet) to restrict arm movement? Whenever I try it on, the medium gives me range of motion but fits badly in the waist/chest, whereas the small fits me great except for the bicep/tricep area which gets tight and only really gives me 90 degrees of vertical arm movement.

Comment

I think it's normal for the Kensington from what I've read from others and experienced myself. I am not this restricted by any of my other suit jackets.

Comment

I see on other WIWT places that a perfect fit for jeans seams to be on the more skinny side. Just wanted your guys opinion on what is the better fit:

My normal straight fit jeans:

The skinnier fit that I see a lot of people using on other WIWT that get positive reviews. Feels like I'm wearing a second skin. Is this "normal?"

Comment

I can't do the skinny fit that most on here like so Ill always say go with the straight fit. Those slim ones look like they're constricting your calves.

Comment

Originally posted by Vicious49 View Post
            I can't do the skinny fit that most on here like so Ill always say go with the straight fit. Those slim ones look like they're constricting your calves.
            That's what I'm thinking too, but everywhere I look it seems that the skinny jean look is considered a "better fit" on various other WIWT.

Comment

Acoustic: I personally think the slimmer fit ones look better. As long as you feel comfortable and like the way it looks I think you're fine!

Comment

@acoustic: I like the straight fit look more. But I also wear 505's over 514s because those are too constricting on my thighs and calves, and I feel like the 505s give me a better overall look.

Also wrt the Kensington - yes, definitely more restricted arm movement compared to my other blazers.

Comment

I think they both look great! My first reaction on the skinner pair was that your upper body looks a lot more fit. Not sure if that matters to you...I think for me it is also the size of the leg opening that plays a role on whether I go skinny and or straight. I prefer a leg opening (I also had a post about this) that is 7.5-8. In the end I really think it will vary by how the fit is on what you are wearing up top!

Comment

Originally posted by jmp4080 View Post
                    My first reaction on the skinner pair was that your upper body looks a lot more fit.
                    I think that's what it is. Slim pants look good on someone skinny like nicholascrawford (where the heck has he been lately) while I don't think they look quite right on someone with a bit more athletic upper body or muscular legs. Proportionally it won't look right IMO.
                    Last edited by Vicious49; January 5, 2013, 11:22 AM.

Comment

I think either style works for you... I personally prefer the straight, but probably only because of the dark wash.

Another factor in how jean fit will look is how the rest of your clothes fit. If the rest of your clothes are very form-fitting, a skinnier jean will look more proportional. If the rest of your clothes have a slightly more conservative fit, a slightly wider jean leg will look better.

Body type really doesn't cut against you in either direction in this case. I think a heavier guy would be safer sticking to straighter cuts and a skinnier guy should probably stick to slim or skinny cuts, but someone with an athletic build can probably go either way safely.

Personally I like to go right down the middle between straight and skinny jeans... I prefer slim or slim-straight cuts. I like my jeans form-fitting but not sprayed-on.
                      Ben

Comment

@Vicious - The back of the blazer looks clean, but the chest is definitely a little tight (you can see the lapel buckling). Of course, that's if you're going for a perfect fit on a $30 jacket I think 99% of people wouldn't notice (I wouldn't have a year ago before I started paying attention to these things). It looks good so if you think you'll wear them, keep them.

@Acoustic - Like LBD, I prefer the straight simply because of the dark wash. I don't think the slim ones look bad. But they do look a little tight in the bottom of the seat are in the last picture. Here's the real test: can you sit down comfortably? If so, you can go with either look. If not, it's probably not worth any gains in proportionality.

Comment

Originally posted by Acousticfoodie View Post
                          what is the better fit
                          You're the one that needs to wear them confidently. If you are already second guessing the skinny fit, they're probably not right, and you're going to be in public second guessing them again.

As for my personal take on the subject, you appear to be a very healthy and physically fit young man. No doubt attractive to the ladies. I think the skinny look works great for youthful and skinny men (e.g. lacking muscle), but your body style is more defined.
                          Last edited by atoms; January 5, 2013, 12:08 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the responses guys. Sounds like in general Straight probably fits me better, but I wouldn't look weird with the skinny fit. Thanks!

Comment

Finally got around to taking a couple pics of my JCP blazer. This is a small so I can't size down. I know the sleeves are too long and it's currently too wide, but I can't tell if the shoulders are too big or just padded. Not sure what I'd be looking at to get it tailored and if it's worth it.

Arms up
                              Side Shot
                              Previous outfit for reference
                              Really wish the GNex camera wasn't so terrible ><
                              Last edited by Tim; January 5, 2013, 11:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
                                Personally I like to go right down the middle between straight and skinny jeans... I prefer slim or slim-straight cuts. I like my jeans form-fitting but not sprayed-on.
                                This. Maybe something like the Levi's 513 will strike a good middle ground for you between straight and skinny, Acoustic. wrt to the two options you have here, I agree with the consensus that you can wear either and that the dark ones look a bit better.

Comment

Working...
                                X