This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Dave Porter View Post
    Why is finding a good fitting jacket so hard!? If I try on anything smaller than a 40 I can't move my arms and the sleeves will be too short. Bah. Frustrating.
    I feel your pain. Looks like you have narrow shoulders like I do. I recently put on my navy suit that my wife bought for me back in 2002 (way before I concerned myself with dressing better) to discover that not only does it have big shoulder pads but it's also too long (probably a 42 or 44L), which the Nordstrom salesmen probably recommended since I'm 6'1. I've also lost weight since then so I was also drowning in the jacket. I don't think there's any way I can sell the suit and get a new one without majorly pissing off my wife so I'll have my tailor do her best to fit my frame a bit better next time I wear it (she's shortening the sleeves now but recommended that I not have her take in the sides and back until I need it next since my weight may change again).

Comment

• So my JCF tweed blazer just came in. It feels snug especially in the armholes like its digging in. looking at my pics it looks like its pulling at the button too. This is a 38R what do you guys think, upgrade to a 40R?
      http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/...e/DSCN0707.jpg
      http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/...e/DSCN0706.jpg
      http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/...e/DSCN0705.jpg
      http://s1277.beta.photobucket.com/us...tml?sort=3&o=3

Comment

• What is the consensus on the jacket pictured here - http://styleaudit.tumblr.com/image/36890523023

Found it a local thrift. Polo, tan fine wale corduroy, size L, $6.99.

Comment

• Dan.Lish, That jacket is too short. It's far, far too short.

s_crane, That actually looks pretty decent. It's hard to tell from the pictures, but do your shoulders extend past the edge of the shoulder pad seam?

Comment

• no they dont seem too, I dont think I could fit a sweater underneath but thats alright since I mostly wear lambsweel sweaters instead of merino, I find them more comfortable and like the warmth. If you say it looks good bruschetta I think I'll keep it you seem to be a kind of fit

Comment

• I recently bought the taupe sportcoat from BR during the black friday sale. I ordered a 40R and 42R because i'm somewhere in between.

40R

42R

To me the 40R is fitted almost perfectly just slightly tight on the chest. I would prefer not to get any tailoring if possible. Which one should I keep?

Comment

• @mister_deez you may want to try them on with a button up on to get a better feel for it unless your planning on mostly wear a t-shirt under it. I think the 40R looks good but there are alot more people on here better at judging fit than me

Comment

• As s_crane suggested, you should try it on how you plan to wear it. But based on the limited perspective of the photos above, I don't think you're in between. i think you're a 40R in that jacket (cue bruschetta's comments about it being too short now, but the shoulders fit).

Comment

• Is this Lands End Canvas Shawl Collar Toggle Cardigan too snug? It seems that way to me. It's a small and they didn't have a medium to try on. I'm 6'0" and 180 lbs.

Comment

• try unbuttoning the bottom button. It may drape better like that.

Comment

• Originally posted by mister_deez View Post
                        I recently bought the taupe sportcoat from BR during the black friday sale. I ordered a 40R and 42R because i'm somewhere in between.

40R

42R

To me the 40R is fitted almost perfectly just slightly tight on the chest. I would prefer not to get any tailoring if possible. Which one should I keep?
                        I'm trying real hard to ignore how short it is when I give my opinion. I guess I'll go against the grain so far and say the 42 fits better. The shoulders are so rounded on the 40, and the waist is so suppressed, it's so open at the bottom (and the cut is so short, sorry) that it's borderline feminine. Does it look good with button up? The pockets on the side aren't helping me either

I think 42 looks correct. 40 looks like you gained 10 pounds and didn't want to replace your coat.

Comment

• Honestly, I think they both look good. If I thought there was any chance of putting on weight (muscle or fat) I would definitely keep the 42.

Comment

• I normally advocate LEC smalls for a slim fit, but I don't like the look above. I don't think of cardigans as a slim fit item. The one pictured above looks both bulky and too constricting, giving a puffy coat/ Michelin Man kind of aesthetic, which I think isn't particularly flattering. Plus, you can't see much of the shirt beneath which seems like part of the point of a cardigan.

Comment

• deez, 42r fits better, but i'm not huge on either of them on your frame. They look rather short and the button stance and waist suppression is a bit high on your torso.

chicubs, the sweater is too small. It should not look like a scallop effect along the buttons. Also, cardigans look better with the bottom button undone.
                              "You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Comment

• The 42 looks perfect. The 40R does not fit you well at all.

Comment

Working...
                                X