Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official "How Does This Fit?" Thread

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Dave, it's hard to tell if the shoulders fit, but I like the look of that jacket!

    Comment


      Originally posted by Acousticfoodie View Post
      Dave do you have an odd number chest measurement? The length looks alright, but it looks just a tad large on the shoulders and chest, but going a size down seems like it would be too tight.
      It actually fits perfect in the shoulders. A size down would have been way too tight. I have a small waist, normal chest, and large shoulders. The chest is the only place it doesn't fit real well. The length is ideal.
      42" Chest 32" Waist 6' Tall 185 lbs.

      Comment


        Originally posted by bruschetta View Post
        Dave, it's hard to tell if the shoulders fit, but I like the look of that jacket!
        I'll try to take another round of pics with a better camera. The shoulders fit well, I just naturally have bigger shoulders.
        Last edited by Dave Porter; November 19, 2012, 07:38 PM.
        42" Chest 32" Waist 6' Tall 185 lbs.

        Comment


          Here are some new photos. I'm concerned about the chest side without the pocket. Not as tight as I would like. Any solution? This is already bought and paid for and I have had alterations done once.




          42" Chest 32" Waist 6' Tall 185 lbs.

          Comment


            Originally posted by Dave Porter View Post
            Here are some new photos. I'm concerned about the chest side without the pocket. Not as tight as I would like. Any solution? This is already bought and paid for and I have had alterations done once.
            Hey Dave, it looks like the shoulders do appear to drop off your natural shoulders. Its bore obiviious in the third picture. You see under your armpit, where all that bunching is happening, it looks like the jacket was taken in and is now compensating the drop. I think it may be a little too big and really the only way to fix this would require splitting the back and shortening the jacket from the middle. A job i think no tailor would want to take on. If you have a buddy who has wider shoulders, gift it to him. YOu can wear the SC, becasue it is a very nice piece and i feel everything else looks great on it. but its fit is less than stellar. Another option you have is to wear a thick sweater beneath if you truly cant part ways...
            "The key to Success is the Quality of Execution"
            I>0<I

            Comment


              Originally posted by MaxMan View Post
              Hey Dave, it looks like the shoulders do appear to drop off your natural shoulders. Its bore obiviious in the third picture. You see under your armpit, where all that bunching is happening, it looks like the jacket was taken in and is now compensating the drop. I think it may be a little too big and really the only way to fix this would require splitting the back and shortening the jacket from the middle. A job i think no tailor would want to take on. If you have a buddy who has wider shoulders, gift it to him. YOu can wear the SC, becasue it is a very nice piece and i feel everything else looks great on it. but its fit is less than stellar. Another option you have is to wear a thick sweater beneath if you truly cant part ways...
              Thanks MaxMan. Yes I feared it was a little too big. I'll try to save it for days when it is really cold and I'll have a sweater on underneath.
              42" Chest 32" Waist 6' Tall 185 lbs.

              Comment


                I agree with Max, that SC is just too big all around. It isnt flattering at all. Also for future reference, dont button the bottom button on a 2 button jacket.

                Comment


                  40R Chaps Blazer I tried on at Kohls to get an idea of my jacket size. Would love to know what is wrong with the fit and what I would have to get done. What is up with my shoulder in the pic?

                  This is a 40R but my chest measures 42 inches. I wear a 42R in Alfani Red (the only jacket I own that fits, after extreme tailoring). I have a 42L Michael Kors Blazer (It was a graduation gift in 2009 before I lost weight). It is huge even after I had it tailored and I'm pretty sure it would be even if it was a 42R. Pretty much, I'm trying to figure out what size jacket I should be looking for. I want some Harris Tweed real bad.



                  42" Chest 32" Waist 6' Tall 185 lbs.

                  Comment


                    My chest is also 42" and I wear a 40r in the Bar III slim fit which is slimmer than the Alfani Red by a bit. Suit sizes arent equal to the chest measurement. Your measurements are somewhat similar to mine. I am 5'11 185 athletic build, but I have a 34 inch waist. I am a bit thicker than you and still wear a 39 or 40 (usually 40). If I were you I would hunt for 38-40. The shoulders on that 40 even hang off your natural shoulder, and the jacket is too big in the chest, sleeves (width not length. The length actually looks to be too short on the sleeves for you) and waist. I think 42s are going to be entirely too big for you in almost all cases.

                    Comment


                      Originally posted by Focuspants View Post
                      My chest is also 42" and I wear a 40r in the Bar III slim fit which is slimmer than the Alfani Red by a bit. Suit sizes arent equal to the chest measurement. Your measurements are somewhat similar to mine. I am 5'11 185 athletic build, but I have a 34 inch waist. I am a bit thicker than you and still wear a 39 or 40 (usually 40). If I were you I would hunt for 38-40. The shoulders on that 40 even hang off your natural shoulder, and the jacket is too big in the chest, sleeves (width not length. The length actually looks to be too short on the sleeves for you) and waist. I think 42s are going to be entirely too big for you in almost all cases.
                      Thanks focuspants.
                      I originally purchased a 40R in the Alfani Red but I could barely move my arms; it fit great everywhere else though.

                      The sleeves on the 40R Chaps Blazer were too short. You think the shoulders hang off? 42s are too big. I'll start looking for 40s, maybe 40L.
                      42" Chest 32" Waist 6' Tall 185 lbs.

                      Comment


                        Dave the shoulders are hanging off too much in that pic. Perhaps you can go for a blazer with minimal shoulder padding.

                        Comment


                          Here is my Alfani Red 42R Suit Jacket I had tailored. She said she had to make either 3 inseams or 3 incisions at $15 each so it cost $45 total. What are your thoughts on this in reference to what I should look for in the future? How does it look?

                          I hate the shoulder pads on these, but I got a great deal. Also, should I have more tailoring done?





                          42" Chest 32" Waist 6' Tall 185 lbs.

                          Comment


                            Why is finding a good fitting jacket so hard!? If I try on anything smaller than a 40 I can't move my arms and the sleeves will be too short. Bah. Frustrating.
                            42" Chest 32" Waist 6' Tall 185 lbs.

                            Comment


                              The shoulders look big and wide to me on it. Its not horrible, dont get me wrong, but it doesnt flatter your frame as much as a jacket should. You want something that will follow your natural shoulder line and drape naturally. Those are big and protrude a bit, and just dont give as nice of a shape. If you have athletic shoulders, big shoulder padding on a jacket will stand on top of your already big shoulder/traps, and it makes the padding look even bigger. Try looking for jackets not as padded. I tried on the Bar III and the Alfani red, and the Bar III had less padding, and an overall better fit for an athletic body. My friend and I both have broad shoulders and more athletic builds, and we both went for suits at Macy's, and both walked out with Bar III's. If those dont work for your frame, I am not sure what to advise other than MTM, since I have had the most success with those.

                              If you want to check in the WIWT thread, I recently posted a pic of me wearing the Bar III suit. The shoulders on it follow the natural curve of my body, which gives a more streamlined shape. You can check it out if you like and compare.
                              Last edited by Focuspants; November 20, 2012, 10:09 PM.

                              Comment


                                @Focuspants

                                Thanks, I'll look into the Bar III Suit watch out for shoulder pads in the future.
                                42" Chest 32" Waist 6' Tall 185 lbs.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X