Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looks good, but mr. mr. is right, I think; the shoulders might be a touch big - although you really have to study it to notice. Out in the wild it'll probably look fine.

That all said - is that a spike coming out of your ring there?

Comment

• ricblackett, The skinny lapels detract from the overall look. However, the suit itself fits you well off the rack. You could wear that suit out the door as it is without any tailoring and it'd still look great on you.

xich, you're a giant! It's hard to tell the length of the jacket, but it may be a bit too long. However, I'd rock it anyway - nice find.

Comment

• Originally posted by scrambledpotato View Post
        That all said - is that a spike coming out of your ring there?
        Haha, no. That is a bandaid held on with some athletic tape that was coming loose. Not normally how I accessorize, but beats bleeding.

Thanks for the feedback all! Yeah the shoulders are a bit big, and whoever owned it before must've had wildly out-of-proportion triceps (all sorts of space there). I didn't really notice until after they took the waist in, but I think I'm just being hypercritical.

Is there an official "this fits perfectly" thread? It'd be nice to have that kinda thing to learn from.

Comment

• Originally posted by ricblackett View Post
          I would appreciate any feedback on this navy ludlow suit from Jcrew. Its a size 42r. Thanks in advance.
          The jacket looks slightly too big. if yo notice that bunching that is going on in the last picture from the back, it means theres too much material there. Also the second picture shows the shoulders to be hanging off you natural shoulders. Try sizing down to 40r. While i dont own the ludlow, the praise the rest of the guys give it would mean for a better fit for you.

Originally posted by xich View Post
          Found this wool jacket for $5 while thrifting. Paid $20 to have it taken in at the waist. I'm 6'5", with a 17" neck, 36" arms, and a 40" chest, so finding something that even remotely fits is exciting.

Thoughts? It's a center vent, which isn't my favorite, but I'm not going to be picky about a $25 jacket.
          I also think the shoulders are too wide. Additionally, the arms might need to be trimmed. There seems to be alot of excess material around the arm area. This is more obvious in the 1st picture than the second. Since you have paid to tailor it already, i think you should trim the arms from the elbow up. they wont be able to do much once the y get to the armhole but it will look cleaner. BTW, the shoulder isnt THAT BAD, since it looks likea heavy textured garment, layering might help that out.
          "The key to Success is the Quality of Execution"
          I>0<I

Comment

• I'm posting simply to 2nd everything MaxMan said
            "You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Comment

• Hey everybody,
              I just got this sportcoat and I was hoping you all could give me some feedback. It's a size small and I don't think it comes in XS so I don't think sizing down is an option. I feel like something isn't quite right about the fit, there is a significant collar gap as shown in one of the pictures. The sleeves would obviously need to be shortened and I think the waist taken in, but overall I'm not sure if I should keep it and have take it to a tailor or return it. Thanks in advance for your help.

JH

Comment

• I'm no expert, but the sleeves look like they could be trimmed (width-wise, they are obviously too long).

Where'd you get it? I really like that close-up shot.

Comment

• @xich

It's from J Crew
                  http://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/s...7365/37365.jsp

Comment

• Originally posted by jh View Post
                    Hey everybody,
                    I just got this sportcoat and I was hoping you all could give me some feedback. It's a size small and I don't think it comes in XS so I don't think sizing down is an option. I feel like something isn't quite right about the fit, there is a significant collar gap as shown in one of the pictures. The sleeves would obviously need to be shortened and I think the waist taken in, but overall I'm not sure if I should keep it and have take it to a tailor or return it. Thanks in advance for your help.

JH
                    JH, since you cant size down i would consider returning, the last two pictures make that evident. The jacket is rather boxy on you and it looks like its swallowing you a little bit. Your right the collar gap is an indication of size. Its funny though becasue the first picutre looks ok and would have rec'd just arms and a waist tuck but the others show the size diffenrential IMO. others might disagree however. I like the button stance and the gorge is high but the shoulders arent doing it for me...
                    "The key to Success is the Quality of Execution"
                    I>0<I

Comment

• Hey everybody,

This is probably wishful thinking, but after being disappointed that JCrew Factory doesn't ship to the UK, I ordered this suit from Marks and Spencer's outlet, came out to around 80 pounds (roughly $120ish) and hoped for the best. I think it fits decently, would definitely get the pants tapered, sleeves taken up and maybe the waist taken in a bit, but the shoulders are bit big (see the second pic).

I remember posting something similar about a year ago and having somebody suggest trying to take in the center back seam to pull in the shoulders, do you think that might work here, and has anybody had any success doing this on a jacket? If not, is it worth keeping? Thanks in advance!

Comment

• Max, I share your irritation at the expense of clothes here in the UK. Forgive my frankness, but that M&S suit looks horrible. I would return it without a question.

Comment

• MaxMan
                          Thanks for the input. I'm probably going to end up returning it. I really like the subtle stripes but the fit is just a little off and it's not worth keeping it if I'm not crazy about it. I'll keep my eye open for something similar that fits better.

Comment

• How does this fit? Suggestions for tailor? I've had it altered once.
                            Seems a bit bulky under the armpit on the sides, to the left of my elbow in the first pic.

http://i1306.photobucket.com/albums/...8_202714-1.jpg
                            Last edited by Dave Porter; November 18, 2012, 08:53 PM.
                            42" Chest 32" Waist 6' Tall 185 lbs.

Comment

• Thick Corduroy btw.

Originally posted by Dave Porter View Post
                              How does this fit? Suggestions for tailor? I've had it altered once.
                              Seems a bit bulky under the armpit on the sides, to the left of my elbow in the first pic.

http://i1306.photobucket.com/albums/...8_202714-1.jpg
                              42" Chest 32" Waist 6' Tall 185 lbs.

Comment

• Dave do you have an odd number chest measurement? The length looks alright, but it looks just a tad large on the shoulders and chest, but going a size down seems like it would be too tight.

Comment

Working...
                                X