Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@Alan - what did you mean by chopping, getting it shortened? I was actually thinking of maybe doing that w/ a blazer I got today. I'll post pics soon, but while it passes the curled finger test it could be about 0.5" shorter.

Comment

When I say "chopping, I just mean any alterations to shrink it. I would never risk altering a jacket's overall length under any circumstance. It's too costly and success can't be guaranteed.

Comment

I see, thanks. Guess I'll go big on the delt/trap lifts then.

Comment

Denizens of Dappered, could I trouble you for an opinion on this suit? My brother requested light to medium grey suits for his wedding and, as I didn't own one, I decided this was a good opportunity to give SuitSupply a try. This is their Sevilla fit.

There is some obvious tailoring that needs to be done (sleeves are too long, it's too tight through the stomach and waist) but my main concern is about the shoulders and chest since these can't easily be changed. There's some slight dimpling in the upper sleeve which suggests the shoulders might be a tad too large but it looks close to me. I think it looks pretty good from the front (aside from the problems I noted) but the wrinkling in the back and near the armpits concerns me. Is this indicative of a problem with the fit in the chest? Or farther down, where I already know I need to have some work done? Any opinions on this? Thanks in advance and apologies for the ridiculous watermark, I'm too cheap to pay for a timer for my iPad camera.

Comment

Don't fret over 0.5". :-)

Comment

@rbooker: Without a doubt, it's as you say that it'll need to be let out at the waist. The chest appears ok, but I would expect that to be the easiest dimensions to get right since it's basically what the whole jacket is measured by. As for the shoulders... You seem like you probably have rather rounded shoulders to begin with. Since the jacket's shoulders are more angular and draping over your own shoulders, I would expect some dimpling to occur. It would be the equivalent of someone smaller (please don't take offense) putting on a jacket and then slightly lifting their arms outwards. I'm not sure there's a way to avoid it other than having a custom suit made. Also, some jackets include some light padding the extends pass the shoulder that can help minimize any dimpling and maintain the overall structure of the shoulder. I'm not sure that yours has any.

Comment

@BenR First time EVER I have to size up. To a Medium. There was one in store, in black. I couldn't take the pictures with a tripod this time. Anyway, without jacket :

And with a blazer. The shoulders are still squeezed together, but just a bit this time. The jacket might be to blame. However I didn't feel constricted (and didn't look like am overfilled sausage).

Comment

To me, that looks better fit-wise with the jacket underneath. And it isn't monstrously huge without the jacket, either. I'm not sure if you're a fan of the black over the navy, but if not, you can always have the store check other stores' stock, call you when new colors get in, look online, etc.

If you intend to wear the coat over a jacket most of the time, I think the medium will work a lot better than the small.

Ben

Comment

@BenR The navy was a web order, they only had black in store. I'm ordering the medium right now (for $5 less, how about that) and will be returning the small this afternoon.

Comment

Hey guys, got this from Target, what do you think of the sleeve width on this? Its a pretty thick jacket

Comment

Good evening gents, could I get an opinion on this suit thanks guys.

EDIT: Apparently I'm not tech savvy enough to get the pics to appear in the post

Moderator's note: I fixed the URLs.

Comment

A)Suit looks good, but possibly hem in the pants. B) Is that a sword on your wall? I hope no one breaks into your house, for their sake. Screw getting shot, go midevil on them!

What we do in life echos throughout eternity.
                          -Maximus

Comment

Oh yes, that would be my brothers; he's also got a couple of battle axes... its pretty much the fellowship of the ring in there!

Comment

One does not simply walk in to danis's's's's'ssss (I think thats enough s's) room!

What we do in life echos throughout eternity.
                              -Maximus

Comment

New Houndstooth Cotton Blazer from Banana Republic. 38S. Is the length too short? Or should I exchange for a 38R, which is atleast 1.5"-2" longer.

http://oi47.tinypic.com/28txrir.jpg

http://oi50.tinypic.com/2hmpvee.jpg

http://oi50.tinypic.com/bhljfd.jpg

http://oi45.tinypic.com/33zfdk8.jpg

(Will likely be getting sleeves shortened regardless of 38r or 38s.)

Comment

Working...
                                X