Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@Vicious49 sleeves seem a little long and shoulder width seems to be slightly too big...could you possibly size down? Think it might be a perfect if you did.

"One man's style must not be the rule of another's." - Jane Austen
    #StayDapper

Comment

Sdot - Thanks for the comments. I'm used to sleeves being long. The problem is that I'm broadchested so while a small might fit me everywhere else, it won't fit my chest. For that reason, I have to get a medium in almost everything and have learned to live with long sleeves. I'll still try a small on next time I see it in a BR store just to double check.

Comment

@Vicious49 Gotcha. Well yea, it seems overall like a good fit, as long as you layer underneath, it won't look too bad.

"One man's style must not be the rule of another's." - Jane Austen
        #StayDapper

Comment

If you planned on wearing the coat exclusively over suit jackets and blazers, I'd say the size isn't such a big a problem. If not, the shoulders are noticeably big enough that I'd seriously consider sizing down. Shoulder fit is probably the most important part of a jacket - the chest can be taken in or let out to a certain extent, but it's practically impossible to alter the shoulders.

Ben

Comment

Comment

sorry about the poor angle and quality - just got this harris tweed off ebay, wondering if it fits - will retake pics eventually but using garbage fone right now

Comment

I'm 5'9" 157 with a 38.5" chest and a 30" waist. The first set of pics is the size XS. The sleeves and length are perfect imo. The problem is it's a little tight around the shoulders and chest. I'm thinking about getting the buttons moved over an inch to give a bit of space for me so I don't feel as constricted. Is this okay to do?

The second set of pics is the size S. The sleeves are too long and perhaps too wide? I'll definitely need to have the sleeves shortened. I also feel that body is not only boxy, but a bit too long. Am I wrong about this? The shoulders feel way better though. With the XS, I do feel a bit constricted but with the S, I feel like I can move around. How tight is a peacoat supposed to feel anyways?

I am wearing a button up and a sweater underneath both coats. Which coat would you take if you were me?

Thanks to all.

Size XS:

http://imgur.com/a/2wu4y

Size S:

http://imgur.com/a/eyMUg

Comment

@Peacoat - I'd go for the S. The sleeves are indeed too long and a little wide, but the XS looks constricting around your torso and you're only wearing a shirt under it. I can't see how there'd be any room for a blazer under the XS. Outerwear jacket fit is a little more lenient than suit jacket fit in this respect, as you want enough space to layer under it. I also think the S isn't really boxy through the torso but likely seems that way in comparison to the XS. No idea how feasible or difficult it might be to let out the torso in the XS, though.

Comment

Hey all! I'm usually pretty confident about how things fit on me, but this one is expensive so I figured I would crowd-source a second opinion:

It's a $2400 Oxxford suit that I picked up for $377, but if it doesn't fit then I can't keep it. I already expect to bring it in a bit at the waist, and the length feels great. What are everybody's thoughts on the shoulders?

HINT: I typically wear a 40R, but this is a trim 42S. And FWIW, a 40R usually fit fine at the chest, but it's usually too long for me.

Comment

Alan, length looks good. It's hard to tell with the cell phone picture, but I think the shoulders also look good. Looks like a keeper to me.

Comment

To me those shoulders look really big. Do the trick of leaning into a wall...does the jacket hit the wall a few inches before your actual shoulder? If so, you may have an issue.

Comment

Alan, I can't tell if the shoulders fit. Can you take a closer picture? The length of the jacket looks good, and I like the overall silhouette. The trousers need tapering and hemming.

Comment

If you don't know already, I like picking up things from Sears Canada. Today I found a navy trenchcoat. It is a size Small (34-36). 56% cotton, 44% polyester but hey, it's a rain coat. It is slightly padded, so great for moderately cold weather.

The sleeves are too long, but a tailor can do something about it, right? I'm not sure about the overall length. It ends exactly above my knee. I guess mid thigh would be preferable, but at the same time, it's supposed to protect me from the rain, so I guess a longer coat isn't a bad idea.

I would like to wear it over suits and blazers. I tried to wear a blazer underneath the coat, but it felt like the shoulders of the blazer were squeezed together. I also felt a bit constricted, but that might be because I'm not used to all those layers. I don't know what to think. Here's a few pictures with the blazer underneath.

So, is there anything I can do with this trenchcoat or do I find something else to wear over a blazer?

Comment

Well I've decided to return the Oxxford suit. I don't want to risk chopping and having it still not fit right. If I'm going to be spending that kind of money, I need to be getting pretty close to the right fit to being with.

Comment

The fit without the sportcoat looks great. The fit WITH the sportcoat makes you look about 20 lbs heavier than you are, mostly because of all the pulling going on around the midsection.

Did the store have a size medium for you to try on? Since you are going to need to get the sleeves shortened anyway, it might be worth a shot. I'd head back to the store (wearing a blazer) and see if the trench works better in a larger size. No point in buying a coat that looks great without a blazer and funky with the blazer, if your intention is to wear it over the blazer most of the time.

Ben

Comment

Working...
                                X