Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't have a steamer, but I've got an aunt who lives down the street from me and she has practically everything. I'm pretty sure she has one. I'll give that a try, but I'm not sure if that's what's causing the problem. It isn't a wrinkle, per se. I feels more like the fabric doesn't line up quite right.

Since I got it at Ross, it's quite possible that it was a factory second. Which would also explain the outrageously low price. I don't see any indication of that on the blazer or tags, but I wouldn't completely doubt it. Still, if it's something a tailor can fix for less than $50, it's still a pretty nice blazer on the cheap.

Comment

• Thanks for the steamer suggestion. Surprisingly, that worked wonders. I don't think I'll have to take it into a tailor at all now. Before, I think either the front was stretched out or the folded-over fabric that connects to the lining was shrunk or something, but the steamer seems to have fixed whatever the problem was.

I also clipped a couple of heavy clips onto the bottom of the jacket for a few hours after I steamed it to make sure it didn't shrink back up like that and bunch all up again, but it seems to be holding its shape just fine now. Definitely the best blazer I've ever found in terms of value. $21 brand new!

Comment

• HUIllinifan - 1/2" more in the sleeve, for sure. Possibly more.

Comment

• @greg_s, could you clarify a bit more on why you do not think the suit that superhua posted fits well on his shoulders? i bought the same suit (BR navy tailored fit) recently and the fit of the jacket on superhua is similar to how mine appears. my initial reaction after putting the jacket on was that something was not quite right, but the initial assessments (shoulder fit, sleeve length, etc...) all seemed to pass (as they do in superhua's photos).

I can't figure out (in superhua's photos and in my own experiences trying on the suit) what needs to change in order to improve the fit. For example, if you compare the 38R jacket photos from jdizzy above with superhua's jacket, I would agree that jdizzy's jacket fits better. Is it because of the button stance? Higher armholes? Better fit in the chest? Is there insufficient shoulder padding in the BR jacket(the shoulders are not raised/pointy enough)?

Comment

• @HUIllinifan is that the "Bold Blue Stripe End-On-End" pattern? http://www.ratioclothing.com/p-38-bold-blue-stripe-end-on-end.aspx

@hon140 props for the Tintin poster

Comment

• @ravi - yes, it is the "bold blue stripe end-on-on"; I really like it.

Comment

• Just got a pair of Lands End Yearrounders in dark charcoal. Love the material and the feel, but not sure about the fit.

They fit fine around the thigh, a little big past the knee, but it's the waist I'm concerned about. I sized down so that the thigh would, and thus the waist is pretty tight. The rise is lower than expected, which means there's some stretching around the waist and crotch. The pockets flair a bit too.

Thoughts? Should I keep them or return them for a size up?

Comment

• @BJ Think you should size up just one. Can see the pockets flaring out on the sides. Means their too tight.

"One man's style must not be the rule of another's." - Jane Austen
                  #StayDapper

Comment

• Is it something that could be fixed by a tailor?

Comment

• BJ, you know, those are bordering on fixable with a slight amount of tailoring. I would size up 1" in the waist and then have them tailored. I'd also add 1" to the length so that there's a slight break. I think that you have some potential there.

Comment

• Went ahead and ordered an inch bigger in the waist. Thanks for the tips, guys.

Comment

• Some more pictures of me in the Joseph Abboud blazer. I think it fits pretty well off the rack. There's something going on with the sleeves, but I don't know if that's because I'm twisting to see myself in the mirror at all. Also a few rumples in the back, but could be the same issue. The shoulders seem pretty good to me (possibly a touch large, but within the acceptable range). What do you think?

Comment

• Your eye does not deceive you, there is definitely something unhappy with the sleeve pitch caused by the way your shoulders are shaped.

Comment

• The F&O Corduroy Blazer that Joe had featured on the site last week came in. I ordered my normal 38 and 40 from them. I'm a 38R at BR and JCrew but here, I can't even get the 38 anywhere near buttoning.

The pics here are of the 40 as it is a much better fit. I am worried about the jacket being short, but that's how F&O make all their jackets so I'll have to live with that. The sleeves and everything else seem good to me but I would like a second opinion. The pic of the back shows wrinkles near the waist but I think that's more due to me just having taken it out of the tiny box it was packaged in. The thing that concerns me (which you can't see too well in the pics) is that there is a bit of a wave/roll between my shoulder blades.

Is this blazer worth keeping for the $50 it cost me? Ignore the pants since I just threw on a dress shirt and blazer on top of what I was wearing.

Comment

• Finally got a shirt from Frank & Oak in the mail.

What do y'all think of the fit? Too small?

Comment

Working...
                                X