Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kidsampson - You can keep the tags on a go the tailor the way it is. I like to suggest bringing photos of Joe or Barron in sharply tailored suits: http://www.effortlessgent.com/the-endorsement-l-l-bean-signature-plain-weave-suiting/

swamped - The center seam is the way to fix a lot of shoulder issues and excess fabric in the back. To get a sense of how it will look, a tailor (or a friend) can grab a handful of fabric between the shoulders to show how it will slim things up. I think greg_s was speaking to how the suit hangs lower in the back than in the front.

One way to picture this is to compare it to a bell like the Liberty Bell that swings on your shoulders as an axis. If it's swinging too far forward, it would sit low in the back and high in the front. If it's swinging back, it would be reversed. Indochino tries to get the required information from you for balance by asking about your posture and shoulder shape in the measurements interview on their site.

Comment

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think I've finally found an OTR shirt that fits me reasonably well. This is a Land's End "Washed Original Oxford" in medium, and it was only $20. I know the shoulder seams are still a bit too low (I'm beginning to think it's near impossible to find an OTR shirt that's narrow enough in the shoulders but wide enough in the waist for my frame), but they're only about an inch or so off, which isn't a dealbreaker for me given how cheap this was and its intended casual use. I know it may look like the bottom button is pulling, but those wrinkles are from me sitting in my office chair after a few hours this morning. I don't feel or see any tension in the fabric around my stomach when standing or sitting. The sleeve length seems perfect and they don't seem very baggy, either. As always, I'd love to hear any other opinions, dissenting or otherwise.

Comment

That's pretty good! Like you said, for a casual shirt, you're golden.

If you're looking for a dress shirt under a suit coat, you would want sleeves an inch longer. Don't worry about the shoulder seams at all - they're right in the target range.

Comment

Definitely the best-fitting shirt you've posted a pic of, Matt. Congrats, man. Your hard work is paying off.

Comment

I really like Frank and Oak shirts but I want someone else's opinion on it. I sent the 1st one back because it fit perfectly but seemed a bit tight across the chest to me. This one fits very similar. Even though the buttons on it aren't pulling at the moment, I'm concerned that after the 1st washing it will end up being too tight on me. In the last pic you can see me pinching the shirt in my chest and there's not much extra fabric there. Is it acceptable or do you think it looks too tight? Would you send it back or just be really careful when washing it?

Comment

I recently got this suit back from the tailor and I was thinking of taking it back and having him shorten the sleeves a bit more because it lines up almost perfectly with the end of my shirt sleeves so there's no cuff showing.

But reading NC's earlier comment to Matt about the sleeves should be an inch longer if you're wearing it under a suit got me thinking that might be my real problem. So I just tried it on with the shirt pictured above and I can see some cuff. Do you think the sleeves on the jacket need to be shortened or was it my shirt sleeves were too long. Pics of the shirt without the jacket are in my post above.

P.S. This is the suit I'll be wearing at my wedding in a few months which is why I want to get it perfect.

Comment

Found this brown plaid blazer. The pattern isn't probably for everyone, but I like it a lot. Button stance is high, but for $130 after taxes, I can live with that.

So, is it workable?

Comment

Vicious49, the sleeve length looks perfect. The suit looks like a great fit. Nice work! I think that you have a winner in that fit. The Frank and Oat shirt fits reasonably well, but it's ugly.

Jessy, I like the pattern, but I'm a pattern guy. (I think that all of my WIWT posts have featured patterned blazers, sport coats, or suits.) As you mentioned, the button stance is very high. The arms are a bit too long, which is easily fixable. There's extra material in the back which is also fixable. It's hard for me to tell how long it is in the back. Does it feel okay to you back there? I honestly like it at any price, other than the button stance and lapels.

Comment

Ok thanks. I was really worried that he didn't shorten the sleeves on the jacket enough.

Man, you guys never like the F&O shirts I choose. It's a white shirt with some stripes on it. Looks pretty basic to me. It doesn't photograph well from far away due to the stripes messing with the camera.

http://cdn.frankandoak.com/media/cat...082-2_0180.jpg

Comment

@bruschetta Back hits at 27", with 27.5" being my sweet spot. Still acceptable in my standards. I wouldn't go shorter, however. I'll keep it and visit a tailor.

Comment

Jessy! That pattern! You have got a real winner there! The stance is high, but with a pattern like that I'd totally ignore that. Definitely shorten sleeves.

Comment

This is my opinion:
                          <blockquote>

Vicious49, the sleeve length looks perfect. The suit looks like a great fit. Nice work! I think that you have a winner in that fit. The Frank and Oat shirt fits reasonably well, but it's ugly.

Jessy, I like the pattern, but I'm a pattern guy. (I think that all of my WIWT posts have featured patterned blazers, sport coats, or suits.) As you mentioned, the button stance is very high. The arms are a bit too long, which is easily fixable. There's extra material in the back which is also fixable. It's hard for me to tell how long it is in the back. Does it feel okay to you back there? I honestly like it at any price, other than the button stance and lapels.
                          </blockquote>

Comment

nicholascrawford, Finally, my influence has taken hold!

Join me! Imagine what we could accomplish together... what we could create. Or we could destroy! Cause the style faux pas of countless innocents in selfish style debates again and again and again until we're both fed up with skinny lapels! Is that what you want? Think about it, style hero!

(Props if you identify this movie quote.)

Comment

@nicholascrawford Great advice as always!

@bruschetta I like slimmer lapels. I think they're fine with my "I don't know anyone narrower than me" build.

The lapels on this blazer are 2.5" at widest point. I don't think I would go narrower than that, but I wouldn't go a lot wider either.

@Kenneth The pattern is really great, with the faint blue lines.

Comment

I finally got a blazer tailored that I purchased awhile ago. What do you guys think?

- altered items: sides taken in, sleeves shortened, jacket length shortened.

after:

before:

Also I picked this BR herringbone blazer a few days ago w/ the 40% coupon for <$55.

I'm thinking I may get the sides taken in a little and sleeves shortened.

- what colored shirts would you guys pair w/ a brown herringbone? the shirt I have on is the calibrate navy gingham shirt.

Comment

Working...
                                X