Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@Bruschetta - I'm not seeing how that jacket is too long. In the first picture it looks perfectly fine to me. The second picture looks a little optically illusory and makes the jacket look long, but the first picture does a better job of displaying the jacket's length IMO.

@Philpot: you really should not wear a belt with a black buckle, it blends into the pants too easily and looks strange. You're correct, pants do need to be hemmed. Jacket sleeves could also stand to be shortened .25"-.5".

@Vovan - I'm really not a fan of that shirt. I agree that white is a mistake, but the light pink with white contrast collar is just not working there, it doesn't provide much contrast and looks seriously off with that suit. You may be best suited with just a plain blue shirt. The pants definitely need to be fixed, either by hem or removing the extra fabric. That huge break has got to go. Ask your tailor what he thinks.

Comment

@Kenneth,

thanks for your comments. I will definitely talk to my tailor about hemming the pants a little more.

I'm just wondering why you think that neither white nor pink shirts are appropriate for this suit?

Here's BB official photo of this suit - notice that the model is wearing a white shirt:

Comment

I think white is just too light underneath the suit. A light pink works, IMO, but I'm not a fan of contrasting collars. Lavender may work. Light blue would work, of course.

Either way, it fits well, Vovan. Something is wrong with the pants. Ask your tailor to take them up another 1/2" at least (probably an inch for my tastes) and to remove some of that extra fabric.

"You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Comment

Vovan, I like the shade of pink, but I hate the contrast collar. That style of shirt is popularly known as a "jerk shirt" or "power shirt" because of its association with high-powered business deals and the 1980's. The power nature of the shirt does not go well with the casual nature of the seersucker.

I'm still jealous of how well that suit fits you off the rack.

Check out the Bonobos seersucker jacket page. The pink that they pair with the blue seersucker provides great contrast. For what it's worth, Joe wore blue shirts under his seersucker suits on the main Dappered.com website.

Kenneth, you may be right. It looks off to me, but it could be the pictures. I agree with you 100% about Philpot's black-on-black belt.

greg_s, this is the third time you've agreed with me. My power, it grows!

Comment

Thanks everyone!

I'll try to find a light blue shirt to wear with this suit and if i can't I'll use my white shirt, and of course I'll try to fix the pants.

Bruschetta, thanks for the info on contrast collars! I didn't know that.

Yeah, I'm shocked myself how good that thing fit me straight off the rack :-)

Comment

Oh snap, I might have to start disagreeing with you, bruschetta, just to keep you in check.

Comment

Can anyone comment on this? Wore these Howard Yount pants for the first time today and am noticing this phenomenon bilaterally on both legs. Loose stitching? Or is this common?

Comment

Kenneth, it looks as though the pants are poorly stitched. I would contact Howard Yount as that workmanship is not at an acceptable level of quality.

Comment

Sigh, I expected as much. I'd hoped that for $160 the QC would be much higher.

Comment

@AWforFour personally, my preference is the first one. The other two just look a bit too baggy to me. I am a slim guy and I go with slimmer pants. The latter two pictures would be a tough sell to me as they would billow around my legs and probably collapse together at the seams making me look ridiculous.

Something to also take into consideration is the shirt you'll be wearing. From the pictures you posted, it appears that you have little to no waist padding (love handles/belly) and the shirt you're wearing appears to be well fitted (without any slack or billowing). If you wear a well fitted shirt like that and toss on some roomier pants, you risk looking disjointed (not good).

Next time, in addition to posting pants-only shots, I recommend including a couple full body pictures. When taking fully body pictures, wearing a shirt representative of what you'll be pairing the pants will help people give you the best advice.

My measurements, for context--> Body Type: Slim/Skinny |​ Weight: 175 lbs | Height: 6'1" | Neck: 16” | Chest: 40” | Waist: 33.5” | Shoulder: 18.75” | Sleeve: 35.5” | Bicep: 12.75” | Wrist: 6.75”

Comment

@Vovan - Glad to see that the hive mind at SF concurred with us vis-a-vis the inappropriateness of the contrasted collar shirt .

Comment

..And another one. August was supposed to be my "I won't buy anything" month. I failed. Hard.

So, my father's wedding is in a few weeks and I was looking for something to wear. I found a fully lined, light grey cotton suit for $140.

I think it looks too big on me. Could a tailor do something ? I'll be hitting the gym very hard in the next few weeks, if that can help.

My other concern is the length of the jacket. Is it too long? I usually prefer something 1"-1.5" shorter.

So is there any hope?

Comment

Is the vent open or closed? As for length, yes, the jacket appears to be slightly too long. Shoulders look okay, sleeves need like a foot chopped off of them, so those cuffs better not be functional. Jacket needs to be tapered severely.

I think it's wearable if you're able to get past the length, it doesn't seem so egregious as to warrant an immediate return of the suit, but there's absolutely no doubt that it needs significant tailoring. If you're going to keep it, get it to the tailor ASAP to allow for plenty of time before the event.

Comment

@ Jessy, that's a no-go in my opinion. The drape in the back appears that it is too big overall. Shoulders are too wide and the chest looks a bit baggy. It also looks too long.

Comment

My latest casual shirt purchase (Target Merona "Everyday" shirt mentioned on Dappered recently):

This is a size L. I know, I know, the shoulder seam is too low, the sleeves are too baggy, the arm hole is too low, and it's a bit long to wear untucked (although it doesn't fall below the bottom of my back pockets). But, it seems to fit me pretty well around the waist (snug but buttons not pulling), the sleeve length is good, it's primarily for casual use in the office, and only cost $20 so I figured why not? I'm also somewhat desperate for new shirts that aren't billowy around the midsection like most of my existing shirts are. I know that this goes against the "buy less, pay more" philosophy of re-building a wardrobe, but given that I didn't have to pay too much for this and that it'll fit in well at the office, I thought it worth the purchase. That being said, I'm open to hearing any dissenting opinions or critique of my rationale for buying this. These are the kinds of things I'm trying to improve upon as I re-build my wardrobe.

Comment

Working...
                                X