Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would be awesome if I could get some advice on work pant fits. I tend to favor slim fits, since I wear those type of jeans, but I'm worried they might be too slim (my work is in fairly conservative business casual environment). When I try out straight or "classic fit" dress pants though, they seem baggy to me....what do you guys think? I also realize I need to get all of these slightly hemmed.

Slim fit pants (narrowed thigh and leg with narrower leg opening)

Classic Fit Pants

Tailored Fit Straight Leg

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Comment

@NC - Wait, you mean to tell me that not everyone shares my tastes!? :O I guess BB is marketing that short sleeve tuxedo to *someone*, after all...

@Zach - More power to you if you like it, it just looks to me like the suit shrunk in the wash.

@Jessy - The uber high button stance really is too bad, since it does appear to fit you pretty well apart from that. Maybe wear it unbuttoned?

@AW - This is really a matter of taste for you. If you like the first one, I don't think it's inappropriately short. The second one is more my speed when it comes to dress pants, and the third one seems pretty good too, but in a business context I think they all would be appropriate. The first pair does make it appear as though you have a slight bowleg going on though.

Comment

AW: I agree with Kenneth - the taper on the first pair is not as flattering as the latter two. Cuff them, perhaps?

Comment

Hey look, another sportcoat. Shoulders are too large, right?

Comment

I think you're right, they're a bit too big. Otherwise, looks like a nice jacket.

Comment

Look what I scored the other day from BB outlet. Their seersucker Fitzgerald fit suit for $130!!!

The suit fit me right off the rack - which was pretty amazing!

I'm interested to know if you think I still need to hem the pants a little more (yes, I already hemmed them and my tailor was supposed to do a half-break which I believe it is. The only thing is he kept all of the original fabric and that's what you see on the pics - that break is mostly due to the fabric folded behind the pant).

Comment

It's a nice fit, vovan. The pants definitely need to be hemmed more and the sleeves appear to be slightly different lengths.

"You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Comment

Thanks, Greg! The sleeves are the same length, it's either I have different length arms or most likely the shirt on one arm crawled inside the jacket sleeve :-)

I am not sure what to do with the pants as we measured the length when I was at the tailor and he did something between 1/4 and 1/2 break like I asked. I agree with you that the pants appear to be too long. I'm very tempted to hem them a little more but worried that I will show some socks if I do that. Also, as I mentioned above, my tailor kept about 2'' of fabric when he hemmed the pants (he folded it inside and I wonder if that's what's causing the pants to show that weird break). Thoughts anyone?

Comment

Vovan, congratulations on a well-fitting suit! The pants are roughly 1" too long. What you have there is more than a full break. It looks sloppy, which is unfortunate because the rest of the suit fits. That shirt may not be the best choice with that jacket. White on beige is a bit bland.

Comment

Thanks, bruschetta!

What color shirt would you recommend? I want to use this suit for a summer wedding in a week so I'd better hurry :-)

Comment

For my first post in this forum that I've lurked on for awhile... I needed a new, nicer suit for mock trial this year. I'm a 17y.o. high school senior. I tried on the suit in store, but they didn't have it when I went back to the store to purchase it, so I ordered it online. Hence the wrinkles. I'll steam it soon. The jacket is a 36R. I know the pants need to be hemmed and taken in at the waist (they're 29/30, smallest they had, and I normally wear 28/30). Other than that...? Oh, and the shirt is on the big side. I don't have a shirt that fits well. I'm working on that.

Comment

Vovan, I'll be honest and admit that I've never been able to create a good color palette with beige. Don't let that discourage you: the suit looks great on you! I did a quick search on Styleforum and came up with this thread which may be of help. The general consensus in that thread is that a blue shirt should be worn. (One poster mentions that white and beige is a style faux pas.)

Philpot, the jacket is too long. That's not easy to fix, and would probably warrant returning the suit. The trousers are quite awful. That being said, you are likely to be the best dressed gentleman in your class. Keep it up, slick!

Comment

What is conventional jacket length? It just barely covers my backside.

Comment

Hi Bruschetta,

I think it's my bad for not taking better pictures. The suit is not beige, it's white'n'blue seersucker. The shirt I wore was white as well.

Nevertheless, your comment got me thinking and I found another shirt (in the abyss of my closet) - it's light pink with a white collar. It looks great! I will post pics later tonight.

Comment

Here are the promised pics.

The first one shows the real color of the suit plus I'm wearing it with a pink shirt. It also shows that both jacket sleeves are the same length.

In the second picture I buttoned the collar.

What do you think about this shirt with this suit? I personally think it looks much better than the white one I originally thought of wearing with it. Thanks, bruschetta!

I'm still not sure what to do with the pants? Hem them or not? If I decide to hem them, should I ask the tailor to cut extra fabric and not fold it under? I mean there is already 2-3'' of fabric as of right now and I think that's what's causing that awful break seen in the pictures...

Comment

Working...
                                X