This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@ Vicious:

I just took my suit to the best tailor in town. He is going to charge me $46 for shortening the jacket sleeves, taking in the back and hemming the pants.

So to me it sounds like $90 is a little steep.

At the same time, I think it really matter where you live. Is it NYC or LA?

If your tailor has to pay high rent, then his services are going to cost accordingly.

Comment

So for my first suit, I ended up ordering the charcoal Thompson during the 40% off, but since it was on such a long delay, I also ended up buying the navy version from my local JCF. The charcoal finally came in, so now I'm wondering about which to keep and how they fit

Navy
      <ul>[*]Front[*]Front Spread[*]Back[/list]

Charcoal
      <ul>[*]Front[*]Front Spread[*]Back[/list]

Comment

@Tim you are right I should've brought over my DSLR... lol my bad! <3

Comment

@Tim: Shoulders on charcoal look pretty good. Length of jacket on charcoal is spot on. Drape from the back looks fine. Actually, all of it on both suits looks good to me. I think you've got a pretty good fit OTR. As for which to keep, both suits are very versatile and would serve you well, so that's up to you. The pants do need to be hemmed on whatever you keep, and you may want to bring in the jacket a bit as it does look loose, but both of those are pretty de rigueur.

While I'm on the subject of what you're wearing though, if I could change anything about your outfit it'd be the shirt collar and tie knot. You've got an oval face, so you really should consider a spread collar. I think that'd do marvels, the point collar is basically an American phenomenon and I don't think it does anyone any favors, much less an oval-faced chap like yourself. Moreover, that tie knot is a little too small for my taste. /nitpick

Comment

@Kenneth That's about what I was thinking. What about sleeve length? I don't wear suits or know people who wear them so I don't have a reference but it felt a bit long? Oh and the tie was just thrown on for a quick reference. Again no occsion for ties so I only have the one memorized. There's a much bigger one around I normally use with that shirt but can't do it without cheating. For the collar I agree too, prefer the look of spread but had no need to buy one thus far. Also really like the more modern small point collars on shirts like the Bar III but cant seem to find a store with them anywhere.

Comment

The charcoal fits much better in my opinion. Shorten sleeves, major pants hemming, smooth out the back.

"You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Comment

Sorry for not covering the sleeve length. You're right, it is a bit long, but it's well within the boundaries of what a tailor can fix and I'm quite sure that the Thompson has non-functioning button cuffs so it should be a very cheap and routine fix. Tie knots are mostly a matter of preference, I wouldn't worry about it too much. I find a four-in-hand appropriate for anything, but ties made of certain materials (cotton, silk knit, linen) tend to be overly small when I tie a FIH with them, so I do a double FIH.

Comment

Tim, both of the suits fit you well. I would wear a different shirt and shoes, but both suits appear to be wearable with minimal tailoring.

Comment

Can somebody explain to me why most of the Black Fleece by BB stuff is so short??? Take for example, the sleeves on this jacket:

Or even the jacket length...

Not to mention - most of their pants are sold pre-cuffed. And did I mention: short!

:-)

Comment

Purchased from Indochino. Basically, my first blazer. It definitely feels big around the waist! Pics of me not wearing the jacket are included.

Comment

@Vovan - Black Fleece is BB's absurdly "play to the youngins' style!" brand, and they completely strike out 99.9% of the time. I recall one recent catalog they sent out had a tuxedo top with SHORTS and dress shoes with no socks. Abomination. Kill it with fire.

@Joshua - If possible, could you open the vents on that blazer and post some more pictures? It's impossible to judge drape with the vents sewn closed. As for what I can see... it looks like the shoulders are too large. It's definitely too large around the waist, but a tailor can take that in. The shoulders are a much greater concern.

Comment

@Vovan - Brooks Brothers Black Fleece (BBBF) is a line designed and manufactured by Thom Browne. Thom Browne stylized the cropped suit and brought it into the forefront of modern trends. I personally love my BBBF suit, it has such a class of absolute modern youth about it. The cropped sleeves and hems may not be for everyone, especially those using suits for professional environments, but for casual weddings and artful events necessitating more formal wear, BBBF has never let me down.

Comment

Kenneth - I hope you see that as ZachL demonstrates, we all have different tastes. =)

Joshua - Yes, gotta open the vents with a scissors/knife. I think you need some tailoring tweaks in general to the sleeves and perhaps the body of the jacket. The shoulders seem a touch wide yet you don't have any excess fabric in the back to take up, so a tailor may be unable to help there. Overall, the fit is reasonable. My biggest reservation about it as a whole revolves around the skinny lapels that look disproportionately small for the width of the suit. Possible that they could be pressed and widened slightly, but it might not be worth the attempt.

Congrats on getting a blazer! Even without tailoring, it definitely complements you, and with a $75 tailoring credit, you should really take advantage of that.

Comment

@nichaloscrawford & @Kenneth - I will agree that Thom Browne and BBBF does come out with asinine looks like the short sleeve tuxedo complete with bicep cufflinks, but a little extra wrist and a little ankle on a suit is manageable.

Comment

At 5'6", I'm too tall to shop at Gap Kids. Here's a XXL 75% cotton/25% polyester navy blazer. Also, awfully high button stance.

Too bad, it was very comfortable.

Comment

Working...
                                X