Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hon140, it's quite hard for us to give you advice without pictures. Are you able to overcome your camera shyness?

Comment

I can take a photo, but I don't think it'll be much help since the pants aren't worn in, so the legs from the knee down look bizarrely large(and if I wore them in first, I wouldn't be able to return them).

My question was more to the other thin/skinny guys who own/have tried 514s: does the combination of a slim fit in the waist through knee with the lack of a taper at the leg opening work? Or should I go for denim with a tapered leg since I have thin calves.

Comment

I also find the leg opening on the 514 to be too wide for my calves. If I recall correctly I don't even think that the 514 is a true straight-leg jean at all, I think it's like a half boot or something. Why not go try on the 513 and see if that fits you better? If it does, please report back because I too am struggling from the woes of the mildly bell-bottom fit of the 514.

Comment

Please, the 514s are classically slim-straight.

I'm a very thin guy, and I like the 514 but can also pull off the 511. The 514 looks the most formal on me because the 511 is trendier with the tapered leg. You better have a very slim fitting outfit on the top half when wearing the 514 or slimmer, or you'll look like a lollipop.

The huge plus to the 514 being slim in the thigh and straight through the calves is that it looks form fitting while still balancing out the upper and lower leg. A really tapered look can wind up making you look big in the hips (even if you aren't), which isn't flattering for a man.

If you're really thin like I am, the thighs on the 514s are still roomy (even though I sized down in the waist). From what you're saying, you're not. So I would call the 514 the far end of things on the slim spectrum. If you want more room in the legs as a weekend pair or something to wear with a sweatshirt, etc. the 501 would be good for that.

Comment

So I heeded the advice in this thread and took the suit that I posted back on page 17 to a tailor. He loved the way the shoulders fit on it and said it's no problem letting it out a bit in the midsection area. He's going to let it out, shorten the sleeves, and shorten the pants. All that is costing me $92. Does that sound about right or is that on the high side?

Comment

$92 is too rich for my blood, but if he is an excellent tailor then just let it be. $92 is worth excellent tailoring, even if there are cheaper options, in my opinion. I would guess that would be about $60-70 at my tailor, but I've learned she is pretty cheap compared to other places.

"You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Comment

Yeah, he got really good reviews on Yelp. There's 1 guy in the area who is supposed to be an artist with a needle but he is ridiculously expensive. After him, there was this guy. I think the breakdown was $50 for letting out the jacket, $30 to shorten the sleeves, and $12 to hem the pants. I'd rather pay a few extra dollars and go to someone who knows what they're doing than save a bit and have someone do a half ass job. I can't wait to get it back to see what the final product looks like on me.

He also helped me realize that a 38R from Banana fits me much better than a 39S from BrooksBrothers. I thought the shoulders felt a bit big on the BB suit, but the salesman there was like 'no, that's perfect, that's how it's supposed to fit'.

Comment

I think that I paid ~$75 for my last tailoring job which included shortening sleeves, taking in the sides, and hemming the pants. $92 seems like a fair price to me.

Comment

"skinny guys who own/have tried 514s: does the combination of a slim fit in the waist through knee with the lack of a taper at the leg opening work?"

I'm tapering the leg on my 514s. Maybe I've been wearing 511s for too long but I find the leg opening on 514s too wide for denim. I don't have broad shoulders and it becomes difficult to balance out. Maybe I'm just reminded of the 90s. Rest of the cut is fine, but I'm putting mine through the sewing machine below the knee.

When you're 5'9 135lbs, the 'only straight-leg denim' thing doesn't hold water IMO.

Comment

Yeah nothing is one-size-fits-all. The 514s have a solid taper in my eyes and 511s are like painted on when I've tried them.

"You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Comment

@Lib : I don't know, I'm a skinny guy (5'6", 125 lbs) and 514s leg opening was fine to me. I wanted to try the 511s but stopped mid-calf, they were too skinny for me.

Comment

Like Greg says, it's not all the same. Add to that the fact that a single cut in Levi's can vary in construction. 17" leg opening sails around on me. Should probably be 15.5" or so.

Do you have any pictures, Jessy? I'm going to snap some before-and-after when I bring the 514s in.

FWIW, I own some 511s that fit me fine, but I have also tried on pairs that were, as Greg said, 'painted on'.

Comment

I've had the same issues with the 511s as Lib. What is with the inconsistency?

Comment

@Lib : 17" would indeed be too baggy. I don't actually own a pair (I can't find them in size 28 in Canada), but I tried a size 30 a while ago and they were fine IIRC. Maybe I'm confusing them with the 513.

Comment

I'm 5'8", 151 lbs, with lower and upper legs that are on the skinnier side of toned, and recently tried on a pair each of 514's, 513's, and 511's. On me, the 514's were wearable but had a little too much extra material for my liking. The 511's were skin tight and unwearable. And the 513's were bang on perfect slim.

The annoying thing about the 513's is that it's hard to find them at much of a discount. I believe they retail for $68. I got them for $45 online at Macy's (coupons didn't apply to Levi's, unfortunately). Like all Levi's, they're not the greatest quality jeans, but good enough for what they are. And the 514-513-511 spectrum makes it easy to comparison shop for fit.

Comment

Working...
                                X