Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's the latest in my personal odyssey (=battle) to find a good-fitting shirt for my body type. This is a Land's End size L (16-16.5/34-35) "Tailored Fit" cotton-linen shirt that I'd primarily wear in a casual setting at work (apologies for the messy bedroom!). My first impression is that the size in the waist is just right, especially considering how much difficulty I typically have in that area. When trying on various shirts at the mall today (BR soft-wash, Nordstrom 901, Bonobos XL oxford), the ones that were fine in the waist were too baggy up top and the ones that were fine up top were WAY too slim in the waist. That being said, I know the sleeves in this LE are pretty billowy and a tad too long and the shoulder seam is a bit too far below my shoulder bone. Is this something I could have fine-tuned by a tailor? What say ye? Is my judgement on the right track or are there things I'm missing?

Comment

Unless I'm greatly mistaken, that shoulder seam issue is not something that can be cheaply fixed by a tailor and it is WAY off for sure. The sleeves could easily be shortened and slimmed, but that shoulder seam... I'd say it's a deal breaker for this shirt, but that's just me.

I really think you should try a ModernTailor shirt to see what a good fit for you is. The first shirt is $35 shipped and should nail your body type. Other than that, I'd say to get shirts that fit in the shoulder and are too big elsewhere and simply bring in the sides either at the stomach or chest to make it fit there, the shoulders are just the most expensive to alter.

Some body types are, as you well know, difficult to fit OTR. I hate to be a bearer of bad news, but it may be the case that for your shirting needs you may need to look to MTM.

Comment

Just got my first indochino suit in and almost shocked by how well it seems to fit. might still have some minor tailoring to do but for out of the box it fits nice. will take pics for advice later.

My cocktail videos >

Comment

Hey guys, been browsing this site for a while and posting to get some opinions on the fit of the jcrew factory suit. Jacket is 46R and pants are 36. If it fits, will head to the tailor for alterations, but if it doesn't, any recommendations on places to find suit separates will be appreciated. Thanks!

Comment

@Matt: If the shirt doesn't fit in the shoulders forget it. Take advantage of the modern tailor offer for free customers. If you feel more comfy buying off the rack, Land end is notorious for oversize issues, try a medium in their non tailored fit line and see if the shoulders match up there. A tailor can then slim the waist and sleeves as needed

Comment

Deebs, my thoughts:

Jacket length is spot on perfect. If the top right picture is with the jacket buttoned, it has great drape at the back. Sleeve length looks good. Pants look good, need to be hemmed, but you already said you were gonna take it to the tailor so that's fine. Armholes look okay, definitely good for the J.Crew Factory price. Shoulders look fine.

My sole concern with this suit is what is happening in the top center picture, it looks like the jacket is tight enough to cause the lapels to divot when buttoned, a relatively common but unsightly occurrence. It's not major even if you left it like that, and a competent tailor could probably find some room to let the chest out a little bit and resolve it.

Verdict: keep it! Looks like you've got a pretty good fit OTR, can be perfected on the cheap with a hem, perhaps a slight taper of the legs if that's what you're into, a sleeve shortening of about .5" to .75", and maybe a slight let-out of the chest in the realm of .25" to .5". All easy and cheap alterations.

Comment

Vicious

One thing I would suggest is that you wear a different belt with those pants. To me the belt and pants are too close in color and with casual pants like that gives off a weird look. That belt would be great with non khaki pants or jeans though.

Comment

AJ - Thanks for the tip. Those are actually shorts I was wearing that day with a polo shirt over it that was not tucked in so the belt never showed. I just quickly took some of those shirts out of the package as soon as I received them, put them on, and shot the pics. I have a 4 in 1 belt from LL Bean but since I knew it wouldn't be showing, I didn't want to take the time to switch the buckle around.

Comment

Kenneth and acoustic - Thanks for the feedback. I think I'll go ahead and exchange it for a medium regular fit to see if the shoulders and sleeves fit any better. If not, I'll definitely try Modern Tailor or Ratio. I know Ratio is more pricey but if I'm only going to have one light blue OCBD in my closet I'd be willing to pay extra for a high-quality shirt that's made in the U.S. I just hope their Classic Fit wouldn't be too slim for my torso!

Comment

Thanks for the feedback, Kenneth. I'm starting a new internship for grad school in the Fall and will have to be wearing a suit every day. I'll probably go pick up the other colors from the factory store pending what the tailor can do with the chest.

Comment

Hi guys, long time lurker, first time poster.

I was wondering whether this shirt fits me well or not- http://imgur.com/a/icz3i

Heres some background. I am 6'0 and 160 lbs. I plan on working out in the near future so my shoulders/chest may be a bit bigger when all is said and done. That being said, does this shirt fit well? It was a tiny bit tight in the upper chest. I feel that it is also a bit short but I am no expert so I am looking for your feedback. Thanks.

Comment

Welcome! Stick around and post, we need more posters and fewer lurkers!

I'd kill for an OTR fit like that, quite frankly. I'm torn here: if you're actually going to work out and get larger, the shirt isn't going to fit. And once it doesn't fit, there's nothing you can do about it, can't let out a shirt like that since there's no fabric to let out. Then again, it's always been my mantra to fit your body NOW since urges to work out and lose weight/gain weight come and go and you can't buy clothes for the body of the future which you may or may not have.

Where is this shirt from? Also, about the length, are you intending this shirt to be a dress shirt? If so, it's pretty damn short and would be difficult to keep tucked in. I see that the shirt is an XS, that explains the length. If you're intending this shirt to be worn very casually, you might like the untucked look and if so it appears this shirt is the ideal length for that kind of look. I personally don't like the untucked look, but to each their own. With the length that I'm seeing, I just can't see how this shirt could be worn tucked in, even the slightest activity like hugging someone would be enough to pull the sides from your trousers.

Takeaway: If you're REALLY going to get bigger, don't get this shirt. If you're wanting a dress shirt that is going to be tucked in, don't get this shirt. On the other hand, if you think it's more realistic that you'll remain this size and want an untucked shirt, get it. Or if the shirt is dirt cheap, get it anyway and just take a gamble. Hope that's helpful.

Comment

Hi Kenneth,

Thanks for the advice. Its actually a casual shirt from Uniqlo in XS. I highly doubt that I will get that much bigger so I'll probably wait for a sale to pick it up.

Comment

And that's why I sing the praises of Uniqlo oxfords. Nice looking shirt, Wiley.

If length is a concern, you could also try a small. You'll have to judge if an S seems too loose, but from what I recall, the shirt should tighten a touch (though nothing dramatic) after the first wash. But really, you're doing well with what you have here, so don't overthink things too much.

And I definitely wouldn't size up just to allow room for some hypothetical future body, especially because at 6'0" 160, I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that you're one of those guys who doesn't gain size easily, even from lifting.

Comment

Hey!

Some questions on jean fit. So I had been wearing what I THOUGHT was slim-fitting dark denim, but I recently ordered a pair of 514s in tumbled rigid to replace my old jeans.

But...I'm not too sure about the fit. They'll take a while to get used too (they're mega comfortable, but definitely a lot more butt-hugging than I'm used too).

Here's the one issue I'm unsure of: the fit from the knee down. Now yes, I know that they're new and, since they were folded along the seam for storage, the leg's shape is very different from how it will look after some wear (right now it's basically the side view of an oval instead of the front view of an oval). But. I am a tall, skinny guy with muscular quads. As a result the fit in the quads is ALMOST skin-tight (after they get worn in they should have a little breathing room, I would think), but I have very small calves, and so the pants almost look like they're large and boot-cut. Should I try 513s? (They're higher rise, though...) Or once they're worn in should they look good, despite my small lower legs?

Comment

Working...
                                X