Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hon140, the blazer looks quite long on you. The shoulders look good, and the chest looks good. The sleeves are also pretty darned close to perfect.

Comment

@hon140,

what bruschetta said: the jacket is a bit long. Also, judging from the side pic there is some extra material on the back behind your shoulders and also around the waist. The latter one makes the jacket fall straight down which is not very flattering (doesn't show that nice V that you have). That can be easily fixed so the most important thing is the jacket length. Maybe somebody with more knowledge will tell you if that's fixable. Other than that, the sleeve length is perfect and so is the jacket upper button placement.

Edit: if you could take another pic from behind - that would certainly help.

Comment

Thanks so much on the thoughts! I'll take it to my tailor on Monday and see what she says. (if she thinks the length is fixable I'll probably replace the buttons with dark brown or navy). I'm a little surprised that the jacket is long (the inside label says "41 Long"), because I'm around 6'5", although my upper body is proportionally small.

Another thought - since I don't know when this jacket was bought (just that it's in good condition) - it could actually be quite old, when a longer fit was more vogue. Hence why it is long even on me.

Comment

Yes - probably a more traditional cut. Based on what you're saying, you may benefit a lot from wearing a jacket that's too long! Someone with very long legs should never ever err on the side of a short cropped jacket because it lengthens the legs.

On the flip side, a short torso and long legs like you would benefit from a long jacket that gives the impression that your torso is longer and helps balance you out.

Your tailor will shake his/her head when you ask about shortening the length of the body. I would save your money and be happy with the deal you got. You could consider waist suppression, but I wouldn't even do that since you've got brass buttons that complete the traditional look. If you go to an event with an older crowd, you'll be one of several men looking just like that. I was at a group of 35-65 year old folks, and out of 40 people there, 3 men wore navy blazers exactly like that. It's a great conversation starter, and it helps you fit in instantly.

For your sport coat, I'd start looking for a gray wool or a navy or khaki cotton one. Instead of trying to make this one look trendy, I would keep it classic and put the funds into a new one.

Comment

Hi all!

I'm back to get your opinion on another suit :-)

This is a 3-button black suit by Perry Ellis I can't decide whether I should keep it or not.

I know that the jacket sleeves are too long. How about the pant length or everything else? How about the upper button placement?

Comment

No offense, but for the life of me in this day and age I cannot think of a situation where one should ever wear a black 3-button suit...

Or any 3 button suit, for that matter.

"You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Comment

Things I notice:

- Slight pitch issues (bunching at the top of the arms)

- Vent is flared indicating too tight around the hips

- Shoulders are slightly too wide

- Pants are too wide

Stylistically I think the button stance is pretty high and you would benefit from going with 2 buttons. Also not the biggest fan of closed quarter suits. Also despite what is popular conception black is actually a pretty limiting color for clothing. You would be better served going with navy or charcoal if you are looking to fill out your basic suits first.

The excellent pictures are much appreciated. It makes it super easy to give you feedback.

Have you tried looking at any slim fit suits?

Comment

No offense taken, Greg :-)

Somehow the salesperson convinced me that now that I ALREADY have a 2-button suit, I must have a 3-button as well :-)

I'm still rather new to this whole suit world thing, so out of curiosity, why are you against 3-button suits?

Comment

I generally feel two button suits flatter average frames better. I feel like they lengthen shorter frames and are also more visually interesting in that they show more of the tie and shirt. Three button suits to me just look like a wall of whatever fabric and color the suit is.

Comment

@AJ,

Thanks SO MUCH for your input!

I will probably end up exchanging it for a charcoal suit. It will be a 2-button suit, Greg :-)

I will post pics in a few days.

Comment

AJ is spot on here. 2-button suits with a lower button stance create a nice deep V in the front that serves at least 2 purposes: it accentuates most males' natural V-shape from shoulders to waist (even if a person's isn't terribly pronounced) and it shows more of the shirt/tie.

3-button looks like you stepped off the set of Frasier in 1995. Or like you're a local weatherman.

EDIT: @Vovan, haha it will do you well. Just focus on slim fit, lower button stance. Shoulders need to fit and it needs to be long enough. From there, most things can be worked on by a tailor.

"You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Comment

AJ - glad to have you on this thread.

Comment

Happy to help out. Hopefully my advice is good. This is definitely the best way for everyone to learn about fit and what issues to look for.

Comment

OK, I took some pics with the grey suit. Aside the pant that are a little too long, do you see anything else that is off?

And another set:

Comment

Pretty good. Yes - hem the pants, but also shorten the sleeves.

Comment

Working...
                                X