This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@ Vicious

Shoulders look good. Length is a little short but tough to truly gauge without a full length shot. The length of the coat is more about proportions than hard and fast rules like the cupped hand test. Still has the issue around the armpits. Can't tell if the chest size is too big or the arm holes are too deep. If you lay the coat flat and measure from the bottom of the armpit to the top what is that measurement? My guess is probably around 11". Next time you go to the store try on 1 size smaller and see how it looks and feels.

Aside from fit not the biggest fan of the two chest pockets with the flaps. Don't think that is a style that will have much staying power and in a year or two you might find yourself looking to ditch this jacket.

Comment

@ Vicious,

haha - i didn't realize it. Could you take another pic with a dress shirt under, pls? Just curious how it would look.

@AJ, good call on the two chest pockets with the flaps!

I didn't even notice them earlier!

Comment

NOW I see what you guys were talking about it not fitting properly. I took the grey one back (which was a 40S) and tried on a 38R while I was there. It hugged my body almost perfectly from the shoulders to the chest to the stomach. I can't thank you guys enough. Without this forum, I never would have figured it out on my own.

On the 38R, I know the sleeves are about an inch too long so they will have to be shortened. I'm guessing that is something that should be simple for a tailor? Do you guys have an idea on approximately how much I should expect to pay for that? The jacket itself seems a bit long to me but the lady working there thought it looked fine. It still passed the hand cupping test (for whatever that is worth).

Comment

As long as the buttons are non functioning (i.e. no actual button holes) that should be an easy fix. Should cost roughly around $25.

If you get a chance it would be great if you could post a picture of the new jacket.

Comment

AJ25 - I would had I bought it. I just tried it on in the store. Not trying to pay full price for one.

I usually buy suits on sale. I will unfortunately have to return the 2 or 3 that I got at tremendous bargains in the last month or so. Still better to know now that I've been buying the wrong size than to have stayed ignorant to the fact.

Comment

Guys, I need a quick opinion. Should I keep this shirt or not? It's a Burberry shirt (probably the most expensive shirt I've ever own) and I was planning on wearing it for an evening party after the wedding. It's got super long sleeves but I believe it's so that the wearer would fold them like I did for these pics in order to show off the Burberry pattern. I like it because it makes the cuffs look like it's a French cuff shirt but it's not. I took a few pics with the shirt tucked in and not so you can see how it looks.

What do you think? Keep it or not?

Comment

Here's the same suit in a 38R. I definitely think it fits better than the other one. What changes do you recommend? I'm thinking pants shortened by about an inch and the sleeves shortened about half an inch to an inch. Also I didn't realize that the back looks like that until I saw the pic. How do I fix that?

Comment

@ Vovan

Sorry but I am going to have to say a big NO to that shirt. Those cuffs in my opinion just look ridiculous. They take all the focus away from you and direct towards the Burberry logo.

@ Vicious

Hmmm that is better in many ways and not in others. The armpit area looks much better but it might be a tad bit too tight through the chest and is too tight across your stomach. In the third picture you can see that the lapels bow out away from your chest. That is an indication that it is too tight. Also the pulling at the button indicates it is also too tight across the midsection. That is also what is causing the back to look like that. If you take it to a tailor he should be able to let you know if he can let out the jacket a bit to alleviate those problems.

The length of the jacket is much better now.

I would continue to look at a few more brands to see if you can find something that fits you a bit better. It appears you are a bit in between sizes with this brand.

Comment

Vicious - Definitely not too long in the body. It's good on the length, but the sleeves would need to be shortened. AJ's right - better in some ways, worse in others. The big thing is that the shoulders fit right now. Versus the 40S, this is close to being right, and I think it would be worth taking to a tailor to ask if it would drape properly if the waist were let out slightly.

Vovan - Maybe, maybe, maybe you could wear that for fun with a jacket or sweater.

Sorry, I was busy today and didn't keep up. AJ's putting down good info, too.

Comment

@AJ, I was tempted to return it. Now I'm definitely going to do it. I guess I just wanted to confirm that with someone else. Thanks! That shirt is too big for me and you are right - the cuffs look quite ridiculous :-)

@NC, no problem - we all get busy sometimes :-)

Comment

AJ and NC - Thanks for the advice. Do most jackets have enough extra material built in to be let out an inch or whatever I'll need mine to do? If it makes a difference, this is a BR jacket (in case you've had any experience with them).

Comment

@Vicious, there is often extra fabric underneath the lining to let it out a bit. You'd probably have to go ask a tailor for their opinion.

"You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Comment

I returned that Burberry shirt. Thanks for the advice, guys!

Comment

Vicious - that second dress shirt (with the pattern) seemed too short in the sleeves. When you get a jacket tailored, you want to be sure the shirt sleeves are right to provide a frame of reference for the tailor. =)

Comment

Hey, so I found this at a Goodwill - it's a Brooks Brothers Navy Blazer, and it was basically in perfect shape. I'm afraid that it might be big on me (if so I'll give it to my significantly larger older brother), but I'd love some thoughts. I'm curious if it would be useable post tailoring/where it's really lacking.

So here's me (as a guide for how thin I am)

http://i1256.photobucket.com/albums/ii482/thehon140/IMAG0063.jpg

And here's me with the Blazer on:

http://i1256.photobucket.com/albums/ii482/thehon140/IMAG0057.jpg

And from the side:

http://i1256.photobucket.com/albums/ii482/thehon140/IMAG0060.jpg

Thoughts?

Comment

Working...
                                X