Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At the risk of revealing my somewhat tubby physique, here's me in my new Bonobos casual shirt (Yorkville L size, tag says "standard fit"). This is much more trim than what I'm used to, but then again all of my shirts up until now are XL, boxy, and billowy. The shoulder seams, sleeve length, and overall length seem just about right to me, but should I be concerned at all about how revealing this cut is for my stomach and gut? Aside from my tummy, I feel pretty fantastic in this. Should I aim for a similar fit for future shirt purchases or try to find ones that are a bit more forgiving down by the waist?

Comment

@Matt,

can you take a side-on pic? It's a little hard to tell from the front.

Comment

Vovan - Next time you go suit shopping, I would look at the next size down to get shorter sleeves and a closer fit in the shoulders. You may be between sizes, depending on the brand. With this, yes, tailor the sleeves.

On quarters: http://putthison.com/post/16924570939/quarter-for-your-thoughts-one-of-the-most

On the pants - you can look in the seat of the pants for material to let out. You'll see how my Indochino and Gap pants have a "V" of fabric for letting out while my Levi pants have all that excess trimmed off.

Comment

Matt - The buttons are pulling. I wouldn't size up, but I don't think the Bonobos Standard Fit is gonna work for you. The whole point is to draw attention away from your belly, and the pulling buttons are like strobe lights.

The challenge for you will be getting something that fits in the midsection without sizing up and having something too big in the neck/shoulders/sleeves. And that will only be solved by trying a bunch of shirts. I would look at traditional companies like LE over LEC that tend to have shirts that have more room in the middle.

Comment

@Vovan - Here you go. Sorry, it's the best I could do given the light in my office bathroom and my inexperience with the one-handed iPhone photography method.

Comment

Honestly, you look slimmer from the side. The first pics probably weren't a flattering angle, but you can see the wrinkles from it pulling in the side pics too.

If it's comfortable to wear, you could wear that with all kinds of combinations of blazers, sweaters, and cardigans.

Comment

Drop literally a few pounds and that shirt will fit you like a glove, but I wouldn't advise buying clothes that you have to 'work to fit into'.

Comment

@NC - Yeah I think I'll go ahead and hold on to it in the hopes that I can eventually lose some pounds from that area. ;-) It's just really difficult to find the time to exercise these days with 21-month-old twins, but I'm hoping to eventually start riding my bike to work again (although not sure how much that'll help with my waist).

I think I will definitely purchase my next shirt in-store though, so I can have someone help me find something that fits my build a bit better. Again, I don't have time to go clothes shopping on weekends due to dad duty so I may just have to bite the bullet and take a day off and head over to Union Square this fall.

Comment

@nicholascrawford,

Thank you so much for the link about the quarters. Now I know what it is :-)

Yeah, I checked the pants and there is a "V" like you described. This is good news!

@Matt, in my opinion your shirt fits your really well everywhere EXCEPT the gut area. It's not too bad and from the front it looks very good. If you are self-conscious about that area (like most of us, I guess) then just do what nicholascrawford said - wear it with a blazer but if you are planning on wearing it by itself - well, it's up to you - I think your gut is not that big.

Edit: I need to start working out too. B/c of my injury my lifestyle went from very active to not active at all. The result - I got a small gut and all of my pants fit tight. Getting a gut on a slim body is the worst - cause you can see it so much better...

Comment

I'd like your opinions on the fit of this jacket. I just threw on any dress shirt over the shorts I was wearing so please ignore all that and only critique the jacket. Unfortunately the fiancee has not moved in yet so I have to take the pics myself. I've also included a few pics without the jacket so you can see my body type and perhaps make some recommendations as to what you would alter on this jacket (if anything) or what brand jackets you think would fit me well off the rack.

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v280/Vicious4949/?action=view&current=suit-6.jpg">

</a>

Comment

I forgot to mention that the one in the pics is a BR tailored fit suit jacket.

Comment

What color is that? Looks like a drab khaki in the photos, but I bet it's actually gray.

What size is it? I ask because you may be better off sizing down but getting it in a long. For instance, if that's a 42R, you might like a 40L. If that's a 38R, well, there's no 36L.

Why? It looks pretty close in the shoulders, but in the top pic, it looks like there's extra fabric in the chest. That should be perfectly flat instead of having a fold to it.

The body is a little short, but people dig that these days. The sleeves are definitely too short, and they could be altered, but a L would already hit the mark. Sizing down would also slim the body, which would help the look.

If there isn't an option to size down and get a long, you could tailor it to make those changes, but I wouldn't go through the trouble unless you got a great deal on it with a final sale.

Comment

@NC, you said that Vicious49 jacket sleeves are too short. What is the rule of thumb?

I am asking because I also need to alter my jackets.

I heard somewhere that a minimum of 1/4'' of shirt cuff should be showing (up to 1'' for more dramatic effect). Does that sound right? Judging by the first pic one of his sleeves shows about half an inch?

Comment

It's a black and white dot pattern which forms a grayish color. That's a 40S. I've tried on a 38 and it's way too tight across my back and chest even though it fits better in the stomach area. The R sized jackets are too long in length and the sleeves. The sleeves on this one hit right at my wrists. Where are the sleeves supposed to end at? The sleeves on that shirt are a bit long so maybe that's giving off the impression of the jacket sleeve being short?

Comment

I'm not sure what's going on, vicious, but it's not flattering on you. A regular size does not look like it would be too long as that is short in the sleeves and body. You appear to be a fit guy and the jacket gives the opposite impression.

"You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Comment

Working...
                                X