Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry - I've fallen behind on this thread.

andrew4h - I think the BR suit is much better than the Suit Supply suit, but you may want to keep looking. If the BR shoulders were softer (and smaller?), the rest of it would be mint. Don't worry - it's not unusual to try a dozen suits before finding the right line for you.

Acoustic - The sleeves look great! The BR suit looks sharp on you in almost all regards. You should recruit help for a picture from the back! With alterations, I think you'll be in great shape.

Veecheck - Is it tight on your arms? If not, I'm gonna split with bruschetta on this and say just let out the waist. The shoulders look good, it drapes pretty well already and would be even better with less waist suppression. You should hem the pants shorter too.

I can't imagine you'd wear those shoes with the suit, but I would recommend going with a different shirt and tie too. Sorry, bruschetta, but the size of that collar is enormous! It's disproportionate to the size of your head, even, and the tie width is too wide. I'd go with a shirt with a smaller collar, a thinner tie, and smaller knot.

Try perusing this thread - you'll see a spread collar is pretty common and would frame a face like yours (and mine) really well. http://threads.dappered.com/topic/looks-you-really-like

Comment

I agree it looks tight in the back, but was also inclined to say it didn't look all that tight in the arms (or tight at all, really). That said, it looked less tight up front than in the back - would letting it out make it look better in the back while also making it baggier (in a bad way) up front? I see plenty of well-fitting suits on websites that look more or less like that from the front.

Comment

I think in the front, it would just have less of the hourglass cut, which is fine. Plus, in the back, it would slide down over his backside better. Cutting open the vents would help, but that's kinda minor at this point. =)

Comment

I'm inclined mostly to agree with NC here.

Although, I would say the blazer looks to big on Acoustic

For Veecheck, I think letting out the waist might work as the shoulders look good. A size up would likely be too big.

"You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Comment

nicholascrawford, you're right about the shirt collar and the tie knot. The tie itself still looks fine to me. The jacket just appears to be uncomfortably tight, and I'm not sure that a tailor can let it out to the point where that could be fixed.

Comment

@greg: really? Hmm...I fit BR 40R tailored fit pretty well in general, but this would be my first 40R BR suit jacket. I can't return it tho since I bought it on clearance for $150 for both jacket and pants...fits enough to tailor still?

Comment

$150? I consider that stealing!

It's just hard to tell how it fits in the chest/shoulders with cell phone pics from the front and side. I bet you can tailor it to your satisfaction, especially since you're starting at $150.

Comment

what was joe's trick about testing the shoulder width of suit jacket?

- was it stand right up to the wall and then lean into it to see if the shoulder pads or shoulder hits first?

Comment

Went suit shopping at Moores (the Canadian Men's Wearhouse). I wasn't expecting great things, but I have a 50% discount there and they had a few suits in 34S, so why not?

I'm no expert, but I would say that these suits are too large in the shoulders. The salesmen said they draped nicely, so I need a second advice.

First picture is blurry, sorry about that.

Comment

Jessy, the jacket is too big in all regards. The shoulders in particular are too wide by at least an inch. The pants could be fixed, but the overall silhouette of the suits is not especially flattering.

Comment

@bruschetta Yeah, that what I thought. I'll give my discount to a "human-sized" friend I guess.

Comment

lol Jessy.

Json - Yes, that's the rule of thumb.

Comment

@Acoustic, it is hard to tell with the dark suit and dark photos with no back shot. It just has the shoulder dimples going on.

"You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Comment

@greg: Ah, does shoulder dimples automatically mean no fit? Like I said, I bought the whole suit on clearance for 150 so I really can't return it.

Comment

Dimples mean the suit shoulder is reaching beyond your shoulder, so it's a quick gauge. I think you need to up your shoulder presses for the next month so you can keep the suit.

Comment

Working...
                                X