Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've read that the shoulder seam should fall right on your shoulder bone. Looks pretty good to me but I'm no expert.

5'8" 155 lbs 39" chest 33" sleeves 33" waist

Comment

pitseleh, the shoulders are at least an inch too small. Your shoulders are extending into the sleeves.

Comment

You know, when you say it like that, it seems obvious! I've got a pretty strong eye for fit with most of my clothing, but something about my blazers just seems baffling to me. Thanks for the help!

Comment

I actually aim for that kind of fit in the shoulders. If you can move around in it, and it fits elsewhere, I would be jealous of that kind of fit. Your arms flow right into the sleeves - no divot, no dimple. The only problem I see is the bunching of fabric towards the collar. That could be from holding up the phone.

Comment

Interesting! The original purpose of my posting elsewhere was actually an inquiry into how to fix the bunching of the fabric over the top of the shoulders! It's not a result of holding the phone; it's there all the time, and I find it prevents the cut of the shoulders from being very flattering. For future reference, or in case I try to find a way to salvage the blazer, do any of you know if this is something a tailor can fix? I like my clothes to cut fairly straight lines, and I've always been annoyed with how rumpled the shoulders look on this one.

Comment

If that's the case, it's probably the design of the shoulders not meshing with yours. There's really nothing you can do with that... I can't think of the term for it, but suits have a front/back balance to them, and it looks like this may be balanced for a different body type. Someone with smaller muscles, right!?

Or sloping vs. square shoulders, etc.

Comment

Do any of these fit well? The seat appears to ride up- but none of them feel that way(comfortable for the most part). Some have yet to be hemmed. I tried- but cant figure out a thumbnail code that works here...

For LOLZ- they arent riding up at least.

Comment

Dear Lord, those Claiborne ones are... something else. imo, the only ones I particularly like are the J Crew vintage slim pair. Factory pair looks gigantic, first pair of Bonobos look like they don't taper enough but maybe that's because the cuffs are rolled up, and actually I guess I like the second pair of Bonobos, but I still prefer the first pair of J Crews. Levi's look eh. I'm kind of finicky about pants, though, so there's a good chance half of them look perfectly fine! The Factory and Claiborne pairs definitely look awful, though.

Comment

Just received my Suit Supply Napoli suit, size 40R in the solid Navy. Would really appreciate any thoughts on the fit. I feel like the sleeves need a bit more length (but functional buttons??). Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Andrew

Comment

Steve - I would say all are a go for fit (hemming is up to you) except for the J. Crew Classic Fit and the Claiborne.

Andrew - The sleeves are in the acceptable range for me, but I'm more concerned about the shoulders. If you could get a 38L, you might get the sleeve length you want and have the shoulders fit better. Right now, the sleeves look a little limp since the shoulders extend too far, imo.

Comment

Nicholas, I noticed the shoulders as well. Was not sure if they were too big or not. The one thing that i am concerned about with going down a size is the chest and waist. I may have a bit of space in the chest to go down (an inch or so), but the waist is slightly tight as it is (I currently would need to get them let out maybe .5-1 inch). I am also concerned with the back length being a bit too long with the 38L.

Here are the measurements for the 38R, 38L, and 40R. Thoughts? Possibility of having the shoulders taken in maybe .5 inch or so at the center seam (I think I read somewhere that that is possible)?

SIZE SHOULDER CHEST UPPERWAIST SLEEVE BACK LENGTH WAIST TROUSER FOOT WIDTH

38R 18.6 42.7 37.4 33.8 30.7 32 8

38L 18.7 42.7 36.6 34.8 31.9 31 8

40R 19 44.3 39 34.3 31.1 34 8.2

Comment

damn, my formatting did not come out right in the table for sizes

Comment

Well, a 38L would be 0.5" longer in the sleeve, which I think you would like, and 0.8" longer in the body, which would benefit from slightly too.

The shoulders of a 38L are only 0.3" smaller than a 40R while the chest and waist are about 2" smaller.

How about getting the 38L and bringing both to a tailor? That would be best.

Or ask a friend to pinch the fabric at the back seam to see what it does to your shoulders on the 40R. Buncha options. =) Just be at peace with the possibility of sending both back and continuing the search until you find the right combo!

Comment

For the guys out there with bigger arms, do you find your shirt sleeves to be a little tight when you flex your elbows if you have had them tailored?

Comment

Foodie when I was bigger(not fat) I had that; heck I ripped 2 shirts from having sleeve rolled up because it was tight on forearm and had no travel, and they were just OTR shirts too.

I'm down quite a bit in size but my MTM shirts I get to specify that I have musclar arms instead of average, they have just enough room if my bicep is in a fully flexed position. I think it depends on who makes them and what you pick for options, I know moderntailors shirt was a bit tighter than the place that asked me about arm style.

Comment

Working...
                                X