X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ryn
    replied
    I think usually the advice is to avoid pleats, but pleats go with cuffs. I tend to agree. I don't think the pants need to be thinner. It is a bit of a vintage look, but they are vintage pants. I like the look, just think a proper break is needed.

It is only the current trend for very tight pants that make these pants look baggy.

Leave a comment:

• 3piece
    replied
    Originally posted by Leanderthal View Post
    Isn't a pleated trouser without a cuff considered improper in sorts?
    Someone did say a pleat without a cuff won't look balanced.

Leave a comment:

• Rush
    replied
    That's pretty awesome!

Leave a comment:

• Rush
    replied
    But I seem to remember you yelling at me when I considered pleated pants...???

Leave a comment:

• elpenguinoloco
    replied

This felt pretty spot-on, but I wasn't sure. Lapels too wide?

Leave a comment:

• mmgfarb
    replied
    Originally posted by Terminado View Post
    I've never heard anything about that, but someone fact-check me if I'm wrong.
    While technically it's wrong, I really don't see a problem with it, I'll take well fitting and we'll tailored clothes over something that follows the rules but doesn't fit correctly.

Leave a comment:

• Terminado
    replied
    I've never heard anything about that, but someone fact-check me if I'm wrong.

Leave a comment:

• Leanderthal
    replied
    Thank you for the advice guys! I think if I could get an inch off of the thigh and drop the hem it would look good. However, I may have to lose the cuff to lengthen the hem. Isn't a pleated trouser without a cuff considered improper in sorts?

Leave a comment:

• LosRockets
    replied
    I'd let them down a bit and also try to slim the leg a little bit above the knees. There's something jarring about how they taper.

Leave a comment:

• JBarwick
    replied
    I like the side profile but agree it is a little full. I do not know much about pleats and fullness so I would take your tailors advice.

Leave a comment:

• Leanderthal
    replied
    Originally posted by Goalieman24 View Post
    I don't think the current cut is terrible as long as you don't wear something super slim up top. But if you leave the cut the same, I think they have to be lengthened. No break with a wider leg just looks like pants that aren't the right size.

IMO, slimming down the entire leg may start to look weird and would fight with the pleated look.
    This was kind of my first instinct. My tailor warned also that attempting to slim the thigh much could result in an unwanted pulling of the pleat also (not how true is or not unless I tried to make them really slim). But I thought I might take a little of the excess fabric out of the thigh, slim the opening slightly more, and lengthen the hem. I read this article from last year out of the WSJ that describes the modern pleated pant having he shape of a carrot. More full up top, coming down to a slim opening. http://www.wsj.com/articles/pleated-...uys-1444847920

Leave a comment:

• Goalieman24
    replied
    I don't think the current cut is terrible as long as you don't wear something super slim up top. But if you leave the cut the same, I think they have to be lengthened. No break with a wider leg just looks like pants that aren't the right size.

IMO, slimming down the entire leg may start to look weird and would fight with the pleated look.

Leave a comment:

• Me27
    replied
    Originally posted by Terminado View Post
    [MENTION=14682]Leanderthal[/MENTION] Take my advice with a grain of salt, as I'm new to the sartorial game and have a very casual/youthful sense of dress that doesn't include many ties or dress pants. That said, I would definitely make the pants somewhat slimmer (not too slim), as the current cut is not flattering your build. As far as the length, I would either add a touch of break if you're going to keep the cuff, or consider removing the cuff if you keep them zero-break.
    I agree with this completely, to me it looks like they need to be slimmed down a little and lengthened. Also if you are going to keep the cuff I feel like you need at least a partial break in the pants, or if you want to stick with the no break look maybe get rid of the cuff and drop the length down just a little bit more.

Leave a comment:

• Terminado
    replied
    [MENTION=14682]Leanderthal[/MENTION] Take my advice with a grain of salt, as I'm new to the sartorial game and have a very casual/youthful sense of dress that doesn't include many ties or dress pants. That said, I would definitely make the pants somewhat slimmer (not too slim), as the current cut is not flattering your build. As far as the length, I would either add a touch of break if you're going to keep the cuff, or consider removing the cuff if you keep them zero-break.

Leave a comment:

• Leanderthal
    replied
    Alright gentlemen, I'm experimenting with my first pair of pleated trousers, some vintage Brooks Brothers flannels I picked up. I got two pairs, one mid grey, and one charcoal grey with forward pleats. the cut is the same so I'm just working this one pair until I get the fit how I like. The fit is currently off. I need a consensus on whether I should;

A. Leave them how they currently are and let the hem out to allow a bit of a break, or;

B. Leave them at slight to no break and have the entire leg slimmed and create a more aggressive taper and a smaller leg opening.

I don't mind the full look of them as they are now, but I'm not sure if it jives well with my build and particular style. Opinions?!
    As found

After first round at the tailor

Thanks any and all!

Sent from my SM-S902L using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

Working...
X