X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks too long in the body.

Originally posted by Heafcliffe View Post

Typically, I am a 42R but I found this 42L J.Crew number.....

This is a "final sale" so I'd appreciate ya feedback.

So does it fit, gents?

Btw, originally costs $298. On sale for $220. Currently half price at $110.
    It's kind of hard to tell with it unbuttoned but to me it looks like it's too long - the jacket hangs all the way down past the end of your thumb with your arm at the side...typically you want it to end at the knuckle of the thumb. If it rides up a little shorter when you button it it might be OK. The button stance looks a little low too. The ultimate test is whether it falls past the curve of your buttocks when buttoned. It should end right where your backside ends - if it's a couple inches longer than that it's too long. Not a big deal if the sleeves are too long as those can be shortened but the length of the body is major surgery and probably not worth it if necessary.
    “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Comment

Agreed, jacket looks too long. I think it's unfortunately chasing a deal and would take significant tailoring to make it ideal.

Comment

Originally posted by mark4 View Post
        It's kind of hard to tell with it unbuttoned but to me it looks like it's too long - the jacket hangs all the way down past the end of your thumb with your arm at the side...typically you want it to end at the knuckle of the thumb.
        Isn't that only an inch difference? Plus his thumb doesn't look completely straight. It's hard to tell if the jacket is below the bottom of the buttocks point from that pic, though. If it is, it's too long.

Comment

What do you think of this JCrew Ludlow blazer (the latest 2017 model) size 34/S fit and look?

http://imgur.com/a/JiIfR

Wearable for business casual, or better off no blazer at all if this is the best fit I can currently get?

Comment

Originally posted by ClothesMan View Post
            What do you think of this JCrew Ludlow blazer (the latest 2017 model) size 34/S fit and look?

http://imgur.com/a/JiIfR

Wearable for business casual, or better off no blazer at all if this is the best fit I can currently get?
            Have you tried the Reg length? The length right now is more club-night-out than business casual, or at least that's how I read it. I also don't think the arm holes quite work for you. If it isn't something that bugs you, that's fine. Here's what I'm talking about. Reposted from an old dappered thread, which was in turn copied from the SF feedback of a master tailor:

"The armhole must be cut in the right shape for the body of the wearer. The sleeve is then cut in a very precise relationship to the armhole.

If you put on a jacket whose armhole has not been cut wide enough for you, or that the chest pulls because it is too tight (or a host of other reasons the armhole may distort) the armhole will contract- it will get wider and shorter. The sleeve cap is now too long and narrow ... so it pulls from front to back, and the extra length collapses. THIS is what causes the divot.

The only way to try to remedy this is to remove the sleeve and shorten the cap (cut away excess length); this will, in some cases, be sufficient, but in many cases you also need some extra width to the sleeve cap, which you will not be able to gain since there is no outlet for it. This is neither easy nor cheap so your average dry-cleaner alterations tailor may not be able to do it.

The only way to know if a jacket is gong to do this is to try it on. If it dents, try a size up or try a different maker."

Comment

Originally posted by iviustang50h View Post
              Isn't that only an inch difference? Plus his thumb doesn't look completely straight. It's hard to tell if the jacket is below the bottom of the buttocks point from that pic, though. If it is, it's too long.
              that angle of the pic is bad. elongates the torso so it's pretty much impossible to tell how it fits. it LOOKS long, but the foreshortening isn't helping.

Comment

Got my S&M suits back from tailor. Unfortunately he made a mistake somehow and hemmed one pant shorter than the other. Below are pics of the grey suit which came back as expected. I think I'm pleased with the fit. No tapering so opening is 8" - debating if I should taper.

Any comments on fit before I go back to him to have other pant hem corrected? Sorry for trash quality, was in a big rush this morning.

Comment

First S&M Suit - Suit Newbie

Unaltered 38R. Thinking sleeves look good but jacket needs to come in a bit? Pants have the right width but the waist could come out a bit. For those that know better, the waist can come out correct?

Comment

Originally posted by bernanke View Post
                    Unaltered 38R. Thinking sleeves look good but jacket needs to come in a bit? Pants have the right width but the waist could come out a bit. For those that know better, the waist can come out correct?
                    Is this slim fit or contemporary? If you nip the waist of the jacket it should look good but my worry is the neck. The right side of the picture or your left side look like the collar is coming off of your neck. This can lead to collar gap which is a dead give away for an ill-fitting jacket. I don't know the exact cause of this but it can be either the jacket itself or how you stand. The sleeves also look a little roomy which is why I ask slim vs. contemporary. After looking at the shoulders too you may be able to get away with sizing down but I do not know your experience with a 36.

Sorry for the rambling.

A note about collar gap, Harvy Specter in the show Suits usually has great fitting suits but he always has collar gap. It is a big annoyance with the show.

Comment

Originally posted by JBarwick View Post
                      A note about collar gap, Harvy Specter in the show Suits usually has great fitting suits but he always has collar gap. It is a big annoyance with the show.
                      Haha, I noticed that as well when watching the latest episode last night. It's not terrible, but it was certainly present, which is odd considering the actor wears custom Suits from Tom Ford.

I agree on all accounts regarding the fit, though; that collar gap is pretty massive. I've always wondered how a tailor would fix that type of issue.

Comment

Some causes of collar gap require major surgery to fix. I think it can be caused by a jacket that's too tailored through the torso/midriff - if there's a lot of pulling on the button it forces the lapels to flare. If there's some extra fabric so the jacket can be let out there that's not a very difficult fix. Other causes are very hard to fix. I don't think bernanke's problem is too little room through the mid section but that could be the issue on Suits - maybe they went a little too slim through the torso in an attempt to make the suits look ultra tailored.
                        “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Comment

New here, same old story. I've been lurking and learning, though if ask a few questions. Now that I have a better idea what I'm looking for, have a really tough time finding jackets that fit me well in the shoulders. I apologize for the lighting, I'm still working on that.

The first 2 jackets are some new ones I picked up recently, best I can do so far. The last one, unfortunately, is my suit jacket. You can see how dimpley it is. It also frequently gets a weird ridge running through the right shoulder. Anyway, how do the first 2 look?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          I can't find the stationary. -- James Bond

Comment

Is it that bad? I didn't mean to break the thread lol.
                            I can't find the stationary. -- James Bond

Comment

Originally posted by Mad Martigan View Post
                              Is it that bad? I didn't mean to break the thread lol.
                              It's really hard to see the blue, due to lighting.
                              You also need to include different angles. I am no expert on fit. Still working on it myself. I did notice that the quarters are very open, but that could be because of your stance. Shoulders are close, but I see a slight dimple. Again, could be your stance. Post more pics from different angle, and I think more helpful members will chime in

Comment

I think the shoulders on all of those are fine and fit fairly cleanly. Next step is to adjust the sleeve length.

Comment

Working...
                                X