Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sleeves look long to me. Fit looks like it's probably OK without seeing the back.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by DPowers28 View Post
      Hey guys - new to the forums but a long time Dappered reader. Thought I'd come here for some advice on suit fit! I have basically only ever owned fused, department store suits and figured it was time to graduate to something nicer (plus: 4 weddings this year).

I grabbed a few Spier & Mackay Slim fit suits (looks like I'm not the only one - looks sharp [MENTION=9026]mooseontheloose[/MENTION]) and the quality is amazing. I think I'm sort of between sizes, that said.

I'm 5'9'', 155 lbs for reference.

Here's the Medium Blue Sharkskin in a 36R:
      Pic 1
      Pic 2
      Pic 3

Here's Guabello Navy Birdseye in a 38R:

Pic 1
      Pic 2
      Pic 3

I like the shoulders on the 36 a bit better, but the chest and waist are a bit tight (lapels bow out, jacket forms an X when buttoned), the sleeves are pretty short, and I don't know how easy any of that would be to alter.

The 38 could definitely stand some waist suppression, and shoulders are just a hair too big. Trying to figure out if I should go with the larger size and get it slimmed down, or try another one of their fits (like a 36 Contemporary). What do you think?
      I'd go with the 38 and take in the waist. In general it's easier to get things taken in than let out. I think you are right in that you're probably a 37.
      Instagram: WoofOrWeft

Comment

Thanks, [MENTION=14773]Token[/MENTION]!

Comment

Originally posted by Token View Post
          I'd go with the 38 and take in the waist. In general it's easier to get things taken in than let out. I think you are right in that you're probably a 37.
          I agree.

I think the shoulders on the 38 actually look pretty good, but the waste is definitely too tight on the 36 and the sleeves are too short. [MENTION=13265]DPowers28[/MENTION] I think you'll be happy with the 38 post-tailoring.

Comment

Thanks [MENTION=16099]iviustang50h[/MENTION]. I'll post back once I've got some tailoring done. Appreciate the advice guys!

Comment

Trip to J Crew Factory

Most of the suits I've owned have been in the "classic fit" range so the Thompson line feels a lot different to me. A couple questions:
              1) Are the lapels as thin as I think they are?
              2) Has anyone compared the Thompson to their classic fit line, or the tailored/classic fit jackets at Lands End? These are all on the table for my next suit.

Here's the Voyager dress shirt as well. The collar feels small and the sleeves a little long. Any thoughts? Sizings here are S/M/L unfortunately, but the quality seems decent.

I'm basically trying to avoid buying some staples that will look too trendy in a few years. So any thoughts and feedback are welcome.

Comment

[MENTION=13204]bernanke[/MENTION] - J Crew has been slow to change from small lapels on both their suits and shirts. With that said, their price range works with a lot of people. What is your price range for a shirt and a suit? I would suggest shirts with at least a minimum of a neck size and a sleeve length is always helpful. Spier and Mackay gets talked about a lot here and they offer a great product but not everyone can afford a $300 suit and blow their budget.

Comment

For shirts, I'll probably be happier with LE and Nordstrom then.

As for the suit, I'm still figuring out exactly what I need but wanted to give JCF a chance since nothing I own fits (in a good way). I've determined at this point in my life between career and otherwise I can get by with just one suit until needs change. But my mind still wants to get a suit in the store. Might be time to try Spier though. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by bernanke View Post
                    For shirts, I'll probably be happier with LE and Nordstrom then.

As for the suit, I'm still figuring out exactly what I need but wanted to give JCF a chance since nothing I own fits (in a good way). I've determined at this point in my life between career and otherwise I can get by with just one suit until needs change. But my mind still wants to get a suit in the store. Might be time to try Spier though. Thanks!
                    Spier and Mackary just sent an email saying you can save on just one suit instead of their usual 2 suit minimum. This puts their suits in the $295 (USD as pricies on their website are CAD) range which is a really good deal considering JCF suits are usually $200+. The sizes go quick and they offer free return shipping on your first purchase. Their shirts are REALLY good too but their current bundle pricing is $29 (USD) but you have to buy 4. I have some of their OCBDs and love them and their dress shirts are great as well.

It is tough to resist this shirt sale as the price to quality ratio is just unbeatable.

Comment

Originally posted by JBarwick View Post
                      Spier and Mackary just sent an email saying you can save on just one suit instead of their usual 2 suit minimum. This puts their suits in the $295 (USD as pricies on their website are CAD) range which is a really good deal considering JCF suits are usually $200+. The sizes go quick and they offer free return shipping on your first purchase. Their shirts are REALLY good too but their current bundle pricing is $29 (USD) but you have to buy 4. I have some of their OCBDs and love them and their dress shirts are great as well.

It is tough to resist this shirt sale as the price to quality ratio is just unbeatable.
                      Crap, and I literally just ordered a suit from them. They sent me the wrong size, so maybe Rick will honor the promotion...

Comment

Originally posted by iviustang50h View Post
                        Crap, and I literally just ordered a suit from them. They sent me the wrong size, so maybe Rick will honor the promotion...
                        Rick mentioned somewhere he is in China so you may get a delayed response. I'd try customer service to see if that gets a faster response or order another one just so you can get one in your size since things sell out quickly depending on size.

Comment

Rick mentioned somewhere he is in China so you may get a delayed response. I'd try customer service to see if that gets a faster response or order another one just so you can get one in your size since things sell out quickly depending on size.
                          Right on. I sent customer service a note this morning, but if I don't hear back soon I think I'll just order another and then have them process the return. Good call!

Comment

Typically, I am a 42R but I found this 42L J.Crew number.....

This is a "final sale" so I'd appreciate ya feedback.

So does it fit, gents?

Btw, originally costs $298. On sale for $220. Currently half price at $110.
                            Last edited by Heafcliffe; June 15, 2017, 08:03 PM.

Comment

An update: I got in touch with Rick and he took care of me like I was family. S&M's customer service is outstanding, not to mention their quality to price ratio. I am one happy customer!

Comment

Originally posted by Heafcliffe View Post

Typically, I am a 42R but I found this 42L J.Crew number.....

This is a "final sale" so I'd appreciate ya feedback.

So does it fit, gents?

Btw, originally costs $298. On sale for $220. Currently half price at $110.
                                I can't tell if it's just from being on the rack, but the arms and shoulders/upper chest have wrinkles everywhere. I don't think it's from it being too small or pulling or anything, but I can't say for sure. How did it feel when buttoned? The jacket length looks good, and overall it looks like it fits.

Comment

Working...
                                X