X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by iviustang50h View Post
    Thanks guys!

[MENTION=14258]fiftyforfifty[/MENTION] Haha, you noticed the shirt sleeve. Yeah, that shirt has yet to make it to the tailor. Speaking of which, do you think the jacket is fixable at the tailor, or are the shoulder a lost cause?
    [MENTION=2341]LesserBlackDog[/MENTION] I was thinking the same. At least I have a decent pair of gray wool trousers.

Next fitting question. I tried on the J. Crew Ludlow 40R and 42R. Which one looks better? Thanks in advance.

Ludlow 40R:

Ludlow 42R:

Although Jacket shoulders can be fixed but my experience is not to get shoulders altered.
    Eat what is good for your health but
    Wear what is good for your and others eyes

Comment

Originally posted by fiftyforfifty View Post
      Although Jacket shoulders can be fixed but my experience is not to get shoulders altered.
      Agreed. I wouldn't get the shoulders altered, just the rest. But if the shoulders will still look all wrong then I won't bother.

Comment

Agreed. I wouldn't get the shoulders altered, just the rest. But if the shoulders will still look all wrong then I won't bother.
        I recently completed a weight loss as well and went from 44r to a 38r, although the 38r is a slim fit which is actually a 36 on some jackets. Did you try a 38 just to see how it fit?

Comment

Originally posted by Paxonus View Post
          I recently completed a weight loss as well and went from 44r to a 38r, although the 38r is a slim fit which is actually a 36 on some jackets. Did you try a 38 just to see how it fit?
          I didn't, no. The 40R already felt a tad tight in the shoulders and arms so I didn't even think to try the 38. I used to be a 44R, and now it seems I'm generally a 40R or 40L depending on the brand and their interpretation on jacket length.

Comment

I didn't, no. The 40R already felt a tad tight in the shoulders and arms so I didn't even think to try the 38. I used to be a 44R, and now it seems I'm generally a 40R or 40L depending on the brand and their interpretation on jacket length.
            I have a cheap Jos Bank in a 38r that is almost 19" across at the shoulders, and I was never really pleased with the way it looked. I recently picked up a 38r Brooks Brothers in the Regent fit with a soft shoulder that is 17" and the fit is spot on. I also acquired a Zegna DB that has a structured shoulder that is 18", and it also fits very well. With shoulder width being so crucial it is surprising how much difference there is across brands.

Comment

Originally posted by Paxonus View Post
              I have a cheap Jos Bank in a 38r that is almost 19" across at the shoulders, and I was never really pleased with the way it looked. I recently picked up a 38r Brooks Brothers in the Regent fit with a soft shoulder that is 17" and the fit is spot on. I also acquired a Zegna DB that has a structured shoulder that is 18", and it also fits very well. With shoulder width being so crucial it is surprising how much difference there is across brands.
              [MENTION=16481]Paxonus[/MENTION] I agree with your last statement, which makes me wonder about how manufacturers perform the measurements and then list those numbers. I was recently measured at Brooks Brothers (supposedly my shoulders are 19") and was fitted into a 41R Regent. The gentleman helping me stating the shoulder measurement for that particular garment was a hair over 19" across, but yet I fit just fine in the J.Crew Ludlow Blazer in a 40R (based on the pictures the shoulders might even be a bit "out," and I believe that jacket measures somewhere around 18.5"). I am awaiting delivery of a sportcoat from Spier & Mackay in a 40R, and the shoulder measurements on the website state 18.1 inches, so it'll be interesting to see how it fits. In the end I think it really boils down to trying the garment in person, because the manufacturer's listed measurements don't tell the entire story.

BTW - congrats on the weight loss.

Comment

My Spier and Mackay sportcoat arrived! Thoughts on the fit?

Comment

My Spier and Mackay sportcoat arrived! Thoughts on the fit?]
                  Looks great man! shoulders are good, get those sleeves shortened up and i dont even think it needs to be taken in, although some may disagree

Comment

[MENTION=16481]Paxonus[/MENTION] I agree with your last statement, which makes me wonder about how manufacturers perform the measurements and then list those numbers. I was recently measured at Brooks Brothers (supposedly my shoulders are 19") and was fitted into a 41R Regent. The gentleman helping me stating the shoulder measurement for that particular garment was a hair over 19" across, but yet I fit just fine in the J.Crew Ludlow Blazer in a 40R (based on the pictures the shoulders might even be a bit "out," and I believe that jacket measures somewhere around 18.5"). I am awaiting delivery of a sportcoat from Spier & Mackay in a 40R, and the shoulder measurements on the website state 18.1 inches, so it'll be interesting to see how it fits. In the end I think it really boils down to trying the garment in person, because the manufacturer's listed measurements don't tell the entire story.

BTW - congrats on the weight loss.
                    Thanks. And congrats to you as well. One of the ironies of losing weight in middle-age is that you don't keep the same proportions. I am now the same weight as I was in high-school, but my waist size is about 1 1/2 inches larger.

Comment

My Spier and Mackay sportcoat arrived! Thoughts on the fit?
                      Looks good! I would alter the sleeves a tad--it looks like you have the same issue I do with one arm longer than the other. I wouldn't touch anything else.

Comment

Thanks guys - I am VERY happy with the OTR fit. Looking at that picture, I don't know if I overly compensated my posture for the picture of if I really have one shoulder lower than the other. Either way, loving the new sportcoat!

Comment

Xpost from 'Recent Purchases' - looking for feedback before I get them tailored. Thanks!

Originally posted by mooseontheloose View Post
                          S&M order arrived.

First time with them and quite pleased with the fit OTR. Pictured are 15.5 slim shirt and 40R in slim fit suit (medium blue texture). Also picked up a white shirt and medium grey suit in same sizes. Feel like the fit on the suit is perfect in the shoulders. No pulling across chest, collar gap or dimples in back. Could maybe bring it in slightly on sides. Length seems good. Need to shorten sleeves obviously. Anything else?

Pants need to be brought in at the waist maybe 1" and obviously hemmed. Debating if I should taper them slightly.

Dress shirt also fits well OTR. Love that the wrist fit is fairly tight. Definitely some extra fabric in the arms so shortening the sleeves is probably required. Otherwise I don't think anything else is needed.

Overall quite pleased with the quality and fit. Hard to go wrong w/ 2 quality shirts + suits for ~$930 CAD.

Comment

Originally posted by mooseontheloose View Post
                            Xpost from 'Recent Purchases' - looking for feedback before I get them tailored. Thanks!
                            Awesome, yeah right pant looks loose
                            Eat what is good for your health but
                            Wear what is good for your and others eyes

Comment

Hey guys - new to the forums but a long time Dappered reader. Thought I'd come here for some advice on suit fit! I have basically only ever owned fused, department store suits and figured it was time to graduate to something nicer (plus: 4 weddings this year).

I grabbed a few Spier & Mackay Slim fit suits (looks like I'm not the only one - looks sharp [MENTION=9026]mooseontheloose[/MENTION]) and the quality is amazing. I think I'm sort of between sizes, that said.

I'm 5'9'', 155 lbs for reference.

Here's the Medium Blue Sharkskin in a 36R:
                              Pic 1
                              Pic 2
                              Pic 3

Here's Guabello Navy Birdseye in a 38R:

Pic 1
                              Pic 2
                              Pic 3

I like the shoulders on the 36 a bit better, but the chest and waist are a bit tight (lapels bow out, jacket forms an X when buttoned), the sleeves are pretty short, and I don't know how easy any of that would be to alter.

The 38 could definitely stand some waist suppression, and shoulders are just a hair too big. Trying to figure out if I should go with the larger size and get it slimmed down, or try another one of their fits (like a 36 Contemporary). What do you think?

Comment

Trying a Bonobos shirt out for the first time and was hoping for some feedback. This is the tailored fit in 14.5x32 (I'm pretty skinny). Apologies in advance for the horrendous photo quality.

Specific questions:
                                1. How does the overall fit look?
                                2. Are the sleeves too short?
                                3. Unrelated, but would also appreciate feedback on the pants - specifically, wondering whether they look too baggy around the upper leg.

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                                X