Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This forum is what lead me to it honestly, tons of great reviews on them (bar III slim suit). I was surprised by the decently fit from a macy's OTR suit, considering past purchases there from what they called "slim" fit like a $300 trashbag (I'm looking at you Tommy Hilfiger). For anyone looking into them, they run on sale randomly in the range of $100-$220 (full price is like 425 for the jacket, $175 on pants). Snagged this one up at $91 tax included after the jacket rang up at $50 instead of $100. Quality of the fabric isn't as high as J Crew ludlow (this is 52% wool, 48% polyester) but the OTR fit is better in the bar III (is shorter in the arms, slightly larger shoulder pads, slimmer in the chest and jacket waist, and tighter waist on the pants).

Comment

Got this ludlow in Irish linen on sale and I'm starting to think I should have sized down

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Dear all,

Slowly upping my game, following 6-mo of reading here. Thanks to Joe, the team, and all you guys here.

I want to start wearing some sportcoats and figured the JCrew unconstructed ones were a good place to start. I think these both fit ok-ish, but have two concerns.

1. They may be a touch short (both 40R).

2. There is some slight bow to the lapels, made worse going up to a 40L.

Grey herringbone:

Blue herringbone:

(as a PS, I now understand how hard it is to take a decent photo!).

Many thanks

Comment

Originally posted by beaver View Post
          Got this ludlow in Irish linen on sale and I'm starting to think I should have sized down

Agree on the sizing. As a note, I bought a tan sport coat in linen and hardly wear it. It has just never been versatile enough for me.

Originally posted by otoba View Post
          Dear all,

Slowly upping my game, following 6-mo of reading here. Thanks to Joe, the team, and all you guys here.

I want to start wearing some sportcoats and figured the JCrew unconstructed ones were a good place to start. I think these both fit ok-ish, but have two concerns.

Many thanks
          Can you post these as individual pics instead of 3 together? It is hard to tell anything on the lapels with the grainy pictures. For length though, a long would help with the body but could be an issue with the sleeves depending on how much longer they go. With J.Crew you run into the functioning button holes.

Comment

Originally posted by beaver View Post

Agree on the sizing. As a note, I bought a tan sport coat in linen and hardly wear it. It has just never been versatile enough for me.

Originally posted by otoba View Post
            Dear all,

Many thanks
            Can you post these as individual pics instead of 3 together? It is hard to tell anything on the lapels with the grainy pictures. For length though, a long would help with the body but could be an issue with the sleeves depending on how much longer they go. With J.Crew you run into the functioning button holes.

Comment

Apologies about the 3-set and grainy images.

Here they are, full size:

And a close up:

Comment

[MENTION=4069]JBarwick[/MENTION], sorry about the graininess.

Here they are as separates:

And a close up:

Thank you.

Comment

[MENTION=4069]JBarwick[/MENTION] I got mine as something I might wear to a summer wedding, the kentucky derby, and occasionally the office, it's a tough color to work into other situations. It's too bad it was on final sale so I'm stuck with it.

Comment

[MENTION=4069]JBarwick[/MENTION] Sorry for delay.. tried yesterday, but didn't work for some reason.

One separate here (to test):

Thanks

Comment

.. and the rest.

Plus a closer-up

Comment

Comment

and a closer-up

Many thanks!

Comment

Official "How Does This Fit?" Thread

I got a deal and pulled the trigger on that JCF moleskin jacket and I really like it. I was a little worried about the sleeves being too short, but I think I'm OK. Any opinions?

Oops -fixing photos

Last edited by carlitos; February 6, 2017, 10:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by carlitos View Post
                              I got a deal and pulled the trigger on that JCF moleskin jacket and I really like it. I was a little worried about the sleeves being too short, but I think I'm OK. Any opinions?

Oops -fixing photos

That jacket looks great on you. Nothing screams out to me as needing to be adjusted fit wise, but I am picky as hell when it comes to this stuff so two things you could consider (and these are more of personal preferences and actual fit "issues).

- Sleeves - I think they look great when your standing with your hands at your side, but they are getting towards the upper limit of how much shirt sleeve I prefer to see, my concern would be if you go to shake someones hand, hold a door open, hug someone, drive a car, ect do they ride up significantly? (some jacket do more than other depending on arm hole placement, size, angle, and whatnot). If they do ride up i'd probably bring them down a half inch or so to try and combat having your hole cuff popping out from your jacket every time you stick your arm out.

- Waist - It's really hard to tell from the picture, but if you have access fabric in that area you could possibly have the waist brought in a hair to give you more of a V silhouette...again this is more of a personal preference and going off pictures its hard to tell, but might be something to think about.

Comment

I agree about the sleeves - honestly I was between 38R and 38S and went with the S. This is definitely the shortest jacket that I own. My logic on the short size was that a $77 jacket wouldn't require tailoring. I'll wear it for a while before I maybe let them down.

As for the waist, I think that it's the weight of the material. I have a jacket in the same cut in wool, and it gives me a pretty well-defined waist. This moleskin is pretty think, so taking it in might give me more of an "x" by the buttons.

Thanks much!

Comment

Working...
                                X