Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Generally this is true, but the Dock runs a little longer than most peacoats so I would be careful about bringing the waist in. The added length of the coat might cause any tailoring done to the waist look more trim than it actually is. Which I think is what JBarwick was worried about.

My 2 cents? Do it if you want, just aim for slight alterations. I'd be curious to see what the end result is.

Comment

Thanks for the advice gents! Maybe I'll have my tailor pin it up just to see. Since it is longer, and is an 8 button vice a 6, you don't think it looks too boxy as is?

Sent from my SM-S902L using Tapatalk

Comment

That photo is weird because he has his hands in his pockets. Mine is slightly boxy but add a couple of layers and it fits perfectly.

Comment

Can anyone tell me why I have such a large collar gap? Is the jacket too big, or is it the spread (semi) of the shirt collar?

Comment

Originally posted by HankScorpio View Post

Can anyone tell me why I have such a large collar gap? Is the jacket too big, or is it the spread (semi) of the shirt collar?
            Hank, I don't believe that the shirt collar has anything to do with the jackets colarge gap. IMHO, the jacket looks too big for you in the shoulders. I'm by no means an expert though. There are a few things that can cause this issue. Here is a little bit of a read on it if you like http://articlesofstyle.com/23848/gar...et-collar-gap/

Comment

Here's another good article on it from Put This On http://putthison.com/post/1107313318...ed-john-writes

Comment

Originally posted by Acousticfoodie View Post
                Definitely could be taken in on the sides and you already mentioned the sleeve issue. Is their any collar roll as well?
                Right! You ought to consider the sides very well.

Comment

I have been wondering how people keep their shirt collar looking well frame and after googling some of the way to accomplish this, I found this article on edge signature on about how to iron your short collar to keep it well frame it was very help to me and to folks out there that need elegant looking shirt collar, you should check the blog

https://edgesignature.com/blog/iron-shirt-collar

Comment

Originally posted by Leanderthal View Post
                    Thought I might as well get some opinions on this. I've never worn a pea coat before, and I know they are suppose to be snug and create the desire silhouette.
                    (Sorry for the bad light, this does not reflect the true color)
                    I got this in medium because normally a JCrew medium is pretty tight on me, and based on the 17 1/4" shoulder on the small, there's no way I would fit it. JCrew does describe this as a 1930's tribute model, and it is a little boxier and longer than the average pea coat. As you can see, it hits me on the upper thigh instead of the waist. I was thinking of having the waist suppressed and the sleeves shortened. Any of you gentlemen have an opinion on how it looks/could tentatively look after some alts? Thanks!
                    I think it looks perfectly fine as is. The longer length helps make it look more sleek. I don't think it looks boxy. I don't think a coat is supposed to fit like a shirt or even a suit jacket/sportcoat. I agree with JBarwick that there's the risk that alterations might result in too much of an hourglass look, which would make it look effeminate. Enjoy it as is. I think it's a great coat.

Comment

Thanks [MENTION=15502]Spex[/MENTION]! I actually ended up taking it to the tailor. She didn't slim it, but removed the excess fabric from the back. You can't really tell from the photo, it looks about the same, but it changed the way the fit feels. In a good way

Comment

Originally posted by Leanderthal View Post
                        Thanks [MENTION=15502]Spex[/MENTION]! I actually ended up taking it to the tailor. She didn't slim it, but removed the excess fabric from the back. You can't really tell from the photo, it looks about the same, but it changed the way the fit feels. In a good way

Is that a dock peacoat? Could you provide a little more information about what your tailor did and maybe show some pics? Was the issue you had before that the bottom was sort of bell shaped and flared out? I have this problem and am looking for a fix...

Comment

Originally posted by Ttysonmcneely View Post
                          Is that a dock peacoat? Could you provide a little more information about what your tailor did and maybe show some pics? Was the issue you had before that the bottom was sort of bell shaped and flared out? I have this problem and am looking for a fix...
                          Yes, it is. She didn't do a whole lot. It was just a little bulky in the back, a little baggier feeling than I wanted. She just cleaned up the excess fabric. It didn't really change the shape, just cleaned up the fit. I didn't have the bell shape issue that you're referring to. But when I was looking for a pea coat and decided on this one, I did read several reviews of guys having this issue.

Comment

This was before

The tailor just sort of streamlined it.

Comment

A very decent coat you have purchased, its stylish and looks great.
                              Eat what is good for your health but
                              Wear what is good for your and others eyes

Comment

Guys,

I ordered a suit from Black Lapel. I would appreciate any opinions on the fit and what I would need to change. I am not too sure about the sleeves, waist and shoulders.

pics: http://imgur.com/a/EtzoZ

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                                X