This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Leanderthal View Post
    Alright, thank you sir. I will probably snatch a wool pair up here soon to try out. Without going MTM, do you think I would be better of just getting more classic, or straight, cut trousers that fit well and accommodate my seat and thigh, and then have them tapered? Instead of even messing around with already slim fits? Do you, or anyone else, know of a good route I could take?
    This will vary. You can try higher end brands (see here and top of here), luxire (I would not recommend until you know what looks good on you) or getting more affortable OTR and tailoring them; for this last part you can try traditional cuts (e.g. Lands End traditional, JAB signature line) which I wouldn't recommend on your body type, slim (e.g. JCrew bowery slim) with sizing up or in between (e.g. JCrew classic is not that baggy to begin with, or Lands End tailored fit). I know most people don't like Jos A Bank, but I think some of their signature line pants have good details and decent fabrics if had for less than $40.

The key IMO is to have the seat and thighs mostly good from the beginning, and then tailoring the waist and leg opening. Going the traditional and in between routes may also get you a better/higher raise compared to the slim fit OTR options. In general you will have to try things on and see. Again, when you try something on OTR, pay attention to the seat and thighs (good drape, minimal pocket flare, no more than slight pulling with minimal abduction). That's just my opinion.

Comment

[MENTION=12115]doomx[/MENTION] great thanks for the advice, again. I know that the Land's End tailored I have to size up in for the thighs. Their slim actually has more room in the seat than the tailored, so I picked up a pair of those in 34" for $20 bucks to try out. I took them and the Bowery Classics to the tailor yesterday. In her opinion, the Bowery 33" was good, just needed the waist taken in and hemmed. Land's End 34" slim was good, except the crotch seem needed to be let out a hair, and the waist taken in. She did tell me though that it would be more cost effective to go with fuller pants that fit well in the waist, seat, and thighs OTR, and then have them tapered to my liking. Land's End traditional fit has a 26.5" thigh for a size 32", with a 10 3/4 rise which would be nice. I'm going to try a pair when a good sale hits. Not many options in the only down fall there. I'll look at JAB! I honestly don't think I've ever looked at their stuff before. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-S902L using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by doomx View Post
        or getting more affortable OTR and tailoring them; for this last part you can try traditional cuts (e.g. Lands End traditional, JAB signature line) which I wouldn't recommend on your body type, slim (e.g. JCrew bowery slim) with sizing up or in between (e.g. JCrew classic is not that baggy to begin with, or Lands End tailored fit).
        Are you saying that a traditional cut wouldn't look good on my body type even if I were to taper it from the knee down, or just that you wouldn't recommend me wearing a traditional fit as it?

Comment

Are you saying that a traditional cut wouldn't look good on my body type even if I were to taper it from the knee down, or just that you wouldn't recommend me wearing a traditional fit as it?
          I think the purely traditional cuts like the ones I mentioned may require more tailoring than some of the in between cuts. I would try a few different things on and see. Check out year rounders in both traditional and tailored fit and experiment with the sizes.

Comment

Originally posted by doomx View Post
            I know most people don't like Jos A Bank, but I think some of their signature line pants have good details and decent fabrics if had for less than $40.
            You can really find these for less than $40?

Comment

You can really find these for less than $40?
              Two years ago I got three pairs for $30 each. Post tailoring, they are great. It's been harder to get that low AFAIK recently.

Order some LE to try. Free shipping/returns make this super easy. With JCrew bowery not so easy.

Comment

I think neither pair looks terrible, but the 1st one looks obviously slimmer. I don't mind slimmer for cotton casual trousers, but prefer a straight line down (but still slim) with creased wool trousers. I find the J Crew Bowery Classic to fit pretty well, but with many brands, I've had issues with the seat. I've found Spier & Mackay Contemporary fit wool trousers to fit the best. I don't know what those guys are doing, perhaps spying through my window, but they've managed to really nail how I like trousers to fit. I think I just got lucky.

The advice about getting the seat and thigh fit down first is sound advice, as everything else can be tailored fairly easily. Have you tried Brooks Brothers Fitzgerald fit trousers?

Comment

Hello,

I am 5' 8" and extremely skinny (need to work out). Currently I wear casual pants/jeans in size 28x30 slim, casual shirts in size XS/extra-slim, and Suit Supply's size 32 suit jackets fit me best in the shoulder. Unfortunately, Suit Supply's 32R suit jackets are far too short in the sleeves for me. The only other decent OTR suit brand that makes sizes less than 36R appears to be Benjamin Sartorial, so I ordered one of their 34R suits. It does not fit me as well in the shoulder, but I plan to start working out soon, and at least the sleeves fit correctly. For the time being, while I am so skinny, do you think this suit will do? And what all alterations/tailoring does it look like it needs?

I am wearing a Brooks Brothers Malino (slimmest) 14.5x32 shirt for reference, though I will be switching to a slimmer CT extra-slim shirt in the future. I am not sure if I need slightly longer shirt sleeves, slightly shorter jacket sleeves, or a combination of both. As is, there is no shirt cuff showing at all, the opposite problem as I have with size 32/34r suit supply jackets.

Thanks!

http://imgur.com/a/7e45X

Comment

TBH if you're serious about trying to bulk up in the near future. Don't bother with trying to find a good fit right now as nothing will fit the same once you start to bulk up

Comment

I ordered some Charles Tyrwhitt shirts. 15.5" neck, slim fit and extra slim fit.

I need some help deciding which one is a better fit.

Album for Slim Fit
                      Album for Extra Slim Fit

For reference,

I am 170+ lbs, 5'8, 41" chest, 33" waist.

The extra slim fit is snug across the upper back and shoulders. Movement is slightly constrained compared to say a t-shirt, but I still have full comfortable range of movement. The waist is properly slim and I may not have to take it in as much. If I pull my elbows back the shirt is tight in the front. Buttons don't pop open or anything. Arms are snug.

The slim is looser in the chest (about 2+ inch worth according to both measurements and how I feel). Still just as snug on the shoulders, just more room in chest and waist. I'd definitely need to take in the waist a lot on this one. Arms are also snug.

Comment

The sleeves look an inch or two short on both shirts. I would get the one that fits best in the upper body then get it slimmed at the waist and you could always add darts.

Comment

Originally posted by JBarwick View Post
                          The sleeves look an inch or two short on both shirts. I would get the one that fits best in the upper body then get it slimmed at the waist and you could always add darts.
                          Yeah, I'm returning the 32" sleeve shirts for 33". I'm not sure how "tight" the shoulders and chest should be before it's "too tight". I pulled my shoulders back in the photos to show how tight the chest is.

I measure 41" chest and there's about 0.5" to 1" of space in the ESF, and 2"-3" of space in the SF. How much room should there be in the chest on a shirt?

Comment

Thought I might as well get some opinions on this. I've never worn a pea coat before, and I know they are suppose to be snug and create the desire silhouette.

(Sorry for the bad light, this does not reflect the true color)
                            I got this in medium because normally a JCrew medium is pretty tight on me, and based on the 17 1/4" shoulder on the small, there's no way I would fit it. JCrew does describe this as a 1930's tribute model, and it is a little boxier and longer than the average pea coat. As you can see, it hits me on the upper thigh instead of the waist. I was thinking of having the waist suppressed and the sleeves shortened. Any of you gentlemen have an opinion on how it looks/could tentatively look after some alts? Thanks!

Comment

I would watch too much waist suppression as it will give you more of an hourglass look. Sleeves look like you could shorten them or leave them as is. It looks like you are only wearing a shirt underneath so my suggestion would be to layer clothing how you may wear it under this coat then take a picture. You don't want to nip it too much so that layering is out of the question.

Comment

Originally posted by JBarwick View Post
                                I would watch too much waist suppression as it will give you more of an hourglass look. Sleeves look like you could shorten them or leave them as is. It looks like you are only wearing a shirt underneath so my suggestion would be to layer clothing how you may wear it under this coat then take a picture. You don't want to nip it too much so that layering is out of the question.
                                I thought with a pea coat you wanted an almost hour glass look though?

Comment

Working...
                                X