Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How does this S&M slim fit suit fit off the rack?

Comment

Sport Coat Newbie - Part I

Linen cotton Stafford. Fit seems pretty good other than sleeves.
      Stafford and Lands End hopsack pics coming soon.

Comment

Originally posted by HankScorpio View Post

I truly won't be much help but might as well jump in since everyone else is quiet. I looks good enough for 95% of people. With tailoring it could look great. Perhaps the jacket could be sized down?

Comment

First MTM shirt, from Luxire. Think the sleeves may be 1/2" or so to short. Any other suggestions on fit?

Comment

Originally posted by HankScorpio View Post
            Looks like a size too big. The pants may be ok if you could fold then to help get a better picture of how they will look when hemmed. The jacket looks loose in the chest and there is a lot of extra fabric near your arm pits in the back. S&M provide measurements on their website which is nice. Get yourself a fabric measuring tape from Target or somewhere and measure yourself then look online to find what you optimal jacket measurements would be. I think suits and sport coats should be like chest + 6". Good Luck.

Comment

Originally posted by bernanke View Post
              I truly won't be much help but might as well jump in since everyone else is quiet. I looks good enough for 95% of people. With tailoring it could look great. Perhaps the jacket could be sized down?
              Agreed, I'd try one size smaller. The shoulders look good, but everything else appears to have extra material. Tailoring can correct a lot of that, but might as well try to get closer first.

Comment

New Guy, First Suit.

Hey everyone, first post here. I just bought nice a calvin klein suit, but have some questions to ask before I decide if I should return it or not. For some background, I'm about 6' 160lbs, and fairly skinny. The suit I bought is a 40R, but the cut is their extreme slim, as that happened to be the pattern I liked the most. Now this is my first suit so I'm not 100% sure how everything is supposed to feel.

Since I am a slim guy, I prefer a slim suit, but I'm not sure if it's too slim or not. I think everything is ok except the shoulders. Now I know shoulders are the most important part of the suit but the thing is I think it looks like it fits fine in the shoulders, but the front of my shoulder feels tight against the front of the shoulder area of the jacket. So to my question, Is it normal for it to feel like this? Everything I try on that feels more comfortable in that area is way to big everywhere else, even at the end of my shoulders, so maybe it's just the way it's supposed to be.

I will post a picture when I can but figured I'd ask the question now anyways.
                Thank's in advance!

Comment

Originally posted by bertman View Post
                  Everything I try on that feels more comfortable in that area is way to big everywhere else, even at the end of my shoulders, so maybe it's just the way it's supposed to be.
                  A suit should not be uncomfortable. Many people try compensate for a cut that doesn't match your body type by going up a size, which avoids any tightness but of course makes it look like you're wearing a sack. My suggestion is to return the suit and try something different. I've probably tried 10-15 brands, cuts and sizes before I found something I was really happy with. A good tailor can help with going from "good" to "great", but the shoulders of a suit are the hardest thing to alter.

I don't know where you're located, but in the slim category you can try the J Crew Ludlow, J Crew Factory Thompson, Banana Republic slim fit, Saks Fifth Avenue Theory, Saks Fifth Avenue Black, Macy's Bar III, Dillards Hart Schaffner Marx (New York fit). Some of these may be outside of your budget, try them anyway and see what works.
                  Many of these frequently go on sale in the $200 - $300 range.

Comment

Originally posted by windmill View Post
                    A suit should not be uncomfortable. Many people try compensate for a cut that doesn't match your body type by going up a size, which avoids any tightness but of course makes it look like you're wearing a sack. My suggestion is to return the suit and try something different. I've probably tried 10-15 brands, cuts and sizes before I found something I was really happy with. A good tailor can help with going from "good" to "great", but the shoulders of a suit are the hardest thing to alter.

I don't know where you're located, but in the slim category you can try the J Crew Ludlow, J Crew Factory Thompson, Banana Republic slim fit, Saks Fifth Avenue Theory, Saks Fifth Avenue Black, Macy's Bar III, Dillards Hart Schaffner Marx (New York fit). Some of these may be outside of your budget, try them anyway and see what works.
                    Many of these frequently go on sale in the $200 - $300 range.
                    Thanks for the quick response. It's not the the suit is uncomfortable, just that it seems to drape against the front of my shoulders for lack of a better description. I take it that isn't normal? Probably has more to do with how far my shoulders come forward than anything else.

Comment

Originally posted by bertman View Post
                      Thanks for the quick response. It's not the the suit is uncomfortable, just that it seems to drape against the front of my shoulders for lack of a better description. I take it that isn't normal? Probably has more to do with how far my shoulders come forward than anything else.
                      It's kinda hard to tell without pictures. If you post some I'm sure we'll be able to tell a lot more about how it fits and if it's a problem or not.

Comment

Never worn anything slim before. How do these look? Too tight? Should someone 6'7" wear slim? Should I stick to straight?

Comment

I guess pictures are needed.

In case those don't work.

https://imgur.com/a/KhAQ7
                          https://imgur.com/sqZ8me7

Comment

JCF Thompson Marina Blue. Got this for $185. 40R.

Comment

So I know the sleeves need to be hemmed up, but what about jacket length?

I'm like 5'8.5", maybe 5'9"

It's a bonobos 40 regular, and it covers my ass by maybe 0.5 inch to 1 inch.

I know the trend is to have shorter blazers, so curious if this works. Personally, I'm more interested in a balanced look (not too short, but not too long). Does this work? Is it OK?

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by yogi View Post

So I know the sleeves need to be hemmed up, but what about jacket length?

I'm like 5'8.5", maybe 5'9"

It's a bonobos 40 regular, and it covers my ass by maybe 0.5 inch to 1 inch.

I know the trend is to have shorter blazers, so curious if this works. Personally, I'm more interested in a balanced look (not too short, but not too long). Does this work? Is it OK?

Thanks!
                                The length looks fine to me. I like the bow tie btw!

Comment

Working...
                                X