Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Completely new to Dappered and trying to dress nicely. Bought some stuff from Banana Republic, both pair of wool trousers fit great, sit about an inch below my belly button. Its pretty amazing to find trousers that actually fit being that im 6'7". I have two questions. The first is, I also bought a pair of Emerson vintage navy chinos, they also sit very high, about 1 inch from my belly button, I feel it doesnt look quite right, should chinos sit that high, or should i get a shorter length?

Second question is I bought a slim fit 100% fine merino wool navy v-neck sweater in XLT. Does it look to large, do I need to exchange it for an LT?

[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

[MENTION=15100]Nice_Marmot[/MENTION] I think you're right -- the shoulders are a bit large for your frame. The sleeves could also be shortened a hair. Nice blazer, though!

Unless it's in the summer, I wouldn't try to wear this as a sport coat routinely. The linen fabric will stand out in the winter. My advice would be to pick up the Thompson unconstructed chino jacket (a dappered favorite) for casual use year round. Still a summer-weight fabric, but a bit less distinctive. You should be able to get it for under $100 with codes.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny View Post
        [MENTION=15100]Nice_Marmot[/MENTION] I think you're right -- the shoulders are a bit large for your frame. The sleeves could also be shortened a hair. Nice blazer, though!

Unless it's in the summer, I wouldn't try to wear this as a sport coat routinely. The linen fabric will stand out in the winter. My advice would be to pick up the Thompson unconstructed chino jacket (a dappered favorite) for casual use year round. Still a summer-weight fabric, but a bit less distinctive. You should be able to get it for under $100 with codes.
        Thanks for the response. I was actually able to snag a 38R last night (40R is pictured) along with the matching pants, so I will see if that fits better. I have a few weddings to attend this spring/summer, and I was hoping to use this suit for that.

Unfortunately I've already tried and returned that JCF jacket in the past. It looked awful on me.

Comment

Originally posted by kjmiller1984 View Post
          Completely new to Dappered and trying to dress nicely. Bought some stuff from Banana Republic, both pair of wool trousers fit great, sit about an inch below my belly button. Its pretty amazing to find trousers that actually fit being that im 6'7". I have two questions. The first is, I also bought a pair of Emerson vintage navy chinos, they also sit very high, about 1 inch from my belly button, I feel it doesnt look quite right, should chinos sit that high, or should i get a shorter length?

Second question is I bought a slim fit 100% fine merino wool navy v-neck sweater in XLT. Does it look to large, do I need to exchange it for an LT?
          The sweater does look a little large so I would try sizing down like you think. Hopefully it still fits your frame. I can't tell from the pic if the pants fit or need hemmed at the bottom but whatever you are wearing is sitting well. Also no need to button the top button of your shirt while wearing a sweater unless you are going for the phantom tie look.

Comment

Originally posted by JBarwick View Post
            The sweater does look a little large so I would try sizing down like you think. Hopefully it still fits your frame. I can't tell from the pic if the pants fit or need hemmed at the bottom but whatever you are wearing is sitting well. Also no need to button the top button of your shirt while wearing a sweater unless you are going for the phantom tie look.
            Should the sleeves of the sweater be a bit shorter than the sleeves of my dress shirt? So if i wear a 36 or 37 in sleeves should i bet a 35 or 36 inch length in the sweater?

Comment

Originally posted by kjmiller1984 View Post
              Should the sleeves of the sweater be a bit shorter than the sleeves of my dress shirt? So if i wear a 36 or 37 in sleeves should i bet a 35 or 36 inch length in the sweater?
              I try to show some cuff of my shirt when wearing a sweater but I can't say for sure it is the norm. I would assume it is though. As for the sweater in your picture, it looks a little bulky around the midsection and the shoulders seem to droop off of your shoulders. My only advice is the try the smaller size on.

I will mention that when I wear sweaters it is sometimes to hide the fact that the shirt I am wearing is not the best of fits so covering it wit a sweater helps. It can add bulkiness similar to what your sweater shows as the shirt comes untucked throughout the day.

Comment

I'm not sure if this goes on this thread. I'm not looking for a "hows this fit" more like a "hows this look"

It's the colors i'm unsure about, my pants fit quite well, and my jacket has been tailored, so i'm not worried about fit. Like I said, from time to time I'm clueless when it comes to color combos. I just threw the jacket on, I can always just take it off.

Comment

Official "How Does This Fit?" Thread

[MENTION=13581]Eric Leija[/MENTION] I think both the colors are really saturated and bright (I mean, for a chino) but they look fine together, IMO. Are you wearing a t-shirt, though?

Comment

Originally posted by Nleaders View Post
                    Are you wearing a t-shirt, though?
                    Yes, long sleeve tee. Super casual friday

Comment

Yeah, looks fine to me too.

Comment

Originally posted by JBarwick View Post
                        I try to show some cuff of my shirt when wearing a sweater but I can't say for sure it is the norm....
                        It is definitely the norm if you are wearing a blazer, sport coat, or suit jacket over the sweater. Ideally, you show a little sweater under your jacket and a little of your shirt under your sweater. Otherwise, it doesn't matter. I don't show any cuff when I'm not wearing a jacket.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Leija View Post
                          ... It's the colors i'm unsure about ...
                          Picking the right colors depends on your skin tone and hair color. Matching colors is simple. There are only a few schemes relative to the color wheel. For example, brown, which is just a dark shade of orange, is a complementary color (sits opposite on the color wheel) to blue. Complementary colors are a little bold, especially when they are vibrant. They look best on people who have a high contrast between their hair color and skin tone. Otherwise, they have a tendency to bring more attention to your clothes than your face, which is not desirable.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex1 View Post
                            Picking the right colors depends on your skin tone and hair color. Matching colors is simple. There are only a few schemes relative to the color wheel. For example, brown, which is just a dark shade of orange, is a complementary color (sits opposite on the color wheel) to blue. Complementary colors are a little bold, especially when they are vibrant. They look best on people who have a high contrast between their hair color and skin tone. Otherwise, they have a tendency to bring more attention to your clothes than your face, which is not desirable.
                            100%. I used to be so confused about what colors to wear as the examples from my youth were mostly well-dressed black men. I thought deep purple, brilliant green, jet black, and stark white were good clothing colors. This looked ridiculous on me. Once I switched to boring colors like brown, pink, off-white, grey, and washed-out blue, I looked better.

I would add you are correct "tone" is key. Undertone as well. It is not just how far apart the color is from one's hair to skin.

Comment

[MENTION=14805]ianmichaelray[/MENTION] [MENTION=14636]Alex1[/MENTION] For real though, I get that certain colors look better on certain skin/hair/eye combos, but I don't know if it is key. I feel like this overtone/undertone craze really took off in the 80's in the women's makeup industry (so my mom tells me). I think there are certain colors that each person should avoid if going bright, but for the most part, men wear neutrals.

Maybe I'm the odd man out here, but I only have a small handful of clothing that could even be put under this kind of spotlight. The rest of my clothes are standard colors that all men could and should wear (true blue, navy, khaki, white, charcoal, light blue, etc.).

Do you guys typically apply this principle to pocket squares and ties primarily, or across the board?

Comment

Originally posted by Nleaders View Post
                                The rest of my clothes are standard colors that all men could and should wear (true blue, navy, khaki, white, charcoal, light blue, etc.).

Do you guys typically apply this principle to pocket squares and ties primarily, or across the board?
                                You've described a color scheme that goes well for low-contrast white guys, not what all men could or should wear.

I try to apply the color scheme thing as a palette across the board. My skin and hair are part of the palette. I would call ties and pocket squares the exceptions as those aren't the base of the color scheme, they are the highlights. I don't always get this right, but I try. I figure it is better to try and get it wrong than just play it safe and still get it wrong.

For example, you cite "light blue" as an example... that looks good on most men, but doesn't look so great on many latino men. Swap that with a rich turquoise and it looks sharp. That might not seem like a big difference, but it lines up the overall palette with color theory.

Edit: here is a really obvious example of what I mean by palette

Last edited by ianr; January 30, 2016, 05:43 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X